Wish me (epic) luck!

Negflar2099

Explorer
I'm about to do something crazy. After years of running games for the same group I've slowly (over the course of three interconnected but separate campaigns spanning 5 years, since just before 5e came out officially) guided them all the way to 20th level, and now I'm ready to take the leap and try running my first epic tier game.

It's been a crazy ride. Even getting them all the way to 20th level was insane (even using the milestone system and leveling up every few sessions it still took quite a while). I don't know how we've all managed to stay together. Over the course of those years we only lost three players and we gained back one that had moved away. I don't think I have to tell you how unlikely that is.

But here we are. For rules I've decided to use the Epic Character rules from the DMsGuild (with levels going all the way up to 30th I think) along with some Epic Monsters I found on this site. I have rules for them to even become true gods, if we ever get there.

I'm super excited, but I'm also more than a little freaked. I've never run a game at this high a level before, and I have no idea what to expect. On the one hand I don't want the game to be too different than what they're used to, but on the other if it isn't different in some ways then I think what's the point? They have a good spread of classes too, with a life cleric in the mix, so I know it's going to be hard to really challenge them.

In the end I think I can do it, and I'm looking forward to the challenge, but wow. I never thought I'd be here.

Thank you all.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I’m in about the same area. My players are 16th going on 17th the things they can do are insane. I don’t think I will take them to epic but 20 sounds nice.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I’m in about the same area. My players are 16th going on 17th the things they can do are insane. I don’t think I will take them to epic but 20 sounds nice.

Similar, 17th & 18th level for my group. If I were going to go beyond 20th level then I think I would go for a much more gonzo story involving time travel and planar hopping, something like a creature messing with the timeline and causing chaos in the universe and the PCs needing to figure out who it is and where in the timeline they need to intervene to put things to rights... with lots of crazy stuff in between. I think ridiculous variety would be the name of the game.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I've run several campaigns that reached high levels in the most recent three editions. In each case, by about 17th level when the highest level spells come into play, you can expect a party of 4 or more to handle just about anything. Don't worry about their part. Especially if Wish or Divine intervention are in use. concentrate on making a good story and making it fun. Play to the backstory of your characters and give each a turn.

Oofta

Legend
I've run epic level campaigns before, they can be a lot of fun. I did find it useful to change the goals now and then to something other than kill everything, and coming up with stories that are appropriate is daunting. On the other hand I could do some bat **** crazy stuff, so it was a lot of fun.

My biggest piece of advice? Build encounters that you think will push them beyond their capabilities and then add more, at least once in a while.

Stalker0

Legend
You might consider instead of focus on levels...use the epic boons in the DMG. They give a cool power bump but not in the same way as a level.

Also you can focus on flexibility over “moar power”, which keeps it fun but doesn’t push the curve too high. For example a legendary sword that assumes the form of any other sword in the game...already attuned. It’s incredibly awesome...but no stronger than a 20th level character would wield at any given time.

Maybe give your players some ribbon abilities from other classes...again cool, but not earthbreaking.

As far as running, I will give you the best advice I can from my own 20th level series:

1) time pressure is an absolute must. If you actually want an adventure to be hard, as opposed to them just showing off...time is really the only thing that matters. Otherwise...they will just win.

The multiverse is ending!! Yawn...ok, we will get on that.

The multiverse is ending...in 24 hours!! Ok...now that’s a challenge!

2) make an adventure not caring in the slightest how the party will handle it.

Don’t bother with the how when you set up the adventure, this is actually the “easiest” part of running epic. If the players need to know the unknowable code to bagerons fortress...don’t have a means. Literally write it down going...”I have no idea how they will do this”

And then...they will figure it out. Because that’s what makes it epic, parties at this point can constantly come up with crazy ideas to find a way. If they don’t have an answer...they know someone who will. Hell they probably know God’s thst
Can help!

Those two Things I have found to be essential ingredients to prevent a lot of planning only to see disappointment. Just throw down the impossible challenge with an impossible time limit...sit back, and let the party be epic

Remove ads