D&D 5E Witchlight Promo Video: Ellywick Tumblestrum

WotC posted this short video on its social media accounts today, featuring a character called Ellywick Tumblestrum, who is a bard from the Magic: the Gathering D&D set, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. “Join Ellywick Tumblestrum from @Wizards_Magic's Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, bard of the multiverse, guest of the Summer Queen & bearer of Morningmist, as she casts Legend Lore to...

WotC posted this short video on its social media accounts today, featuring a character called Ellywick Tumblestrum, who is a bard from the Magic: the Gathering D&D set, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms.

“Join Ellywick Tumblestrum from @Wizards_Magic's Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, bard of the multiverse, guest of the Summer Queen & bearer of Morningmist, as she casts Legend Lore to uncover the next Dungeons & Dragons story!”

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I guess it is about more merchandising products. D&D is becoming an icon of the current USA pop culture, and I guess the fandom community should feel very proud about that.

It's always controversial; a lot of gamers were previously unpopular (myself included) and kind of resent the 'popular kids' getting into their hobby. I personally don't have a problem with it, though I'm still not admitting to people at work I have a Sunday D&D game.

You see a lot of the same dynamic when a band becomes very popular. "Sellouts!" (But of course TSR was for-profit from day 1 and used to sue people making homebrew content, even if they were posting it for free on the internet. Heck, they sold a woodburning kit, way before the current boom in geek crafting that would have made it a reasonable proposition.)

People also get emotionally invested in things they liked a lot in childhood or adolescence--I remember everyone saying "Michael Bay ruined my childhood!" when the live-action Transformers movies came out. Nah, he made a bunch of movies about stuff you enjoyed as a kid that you didn't like. I cried when Optimus Prime died in the cartoon (I was 7). I admit to watching the first Bay movie, not getting much out of it, and not continuing.

The video is silly. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. People are allowed to have different tastes than me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

"One last exciting announcement."

It is possible they'll announce the last book, but if they do I suspect it will just be a title, probably no cover. A lot like the first announcement for Eberron's setting book.
They are playing it up like it is significant: could be a new media venture, like TV show related. Not necessarily game news, but brand news.

Remove ads

Remove ads