D&D 5E Witchlight publishes the new official format for player character races.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I wasn't planning on getting Witchlight anyway, since it's not my cup of tea. But flight at lvl 1 is a hard no at my table. Even though my players aren't min-maxers, if I'd allow it my next parties would be four flying buggers and a land bound brute, since my wife really enjoy STR characters.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
this runs in to make big and bulky the only reason to play the race it needs something else to spice them up?
They are giants. Of course big and bulky is a major selling point! :p

The problem with ''giant-touched'' race is that giants tends to vary a lot in terms of lore in different settings.

I'd personally go more with an elemental resistance and a ribbon similar to Druidic or Thieve's Cant about runes and the work of giants. Probably instead of the ''increased reach and jump''.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
They are giants. Of course big and bulky is a major selling point! :p

The problem with ''giant-touched'' race is that giants tends to vary a lot in terms of lore in different settings.

I'd personally go more with an elemental resistance and a ribbon similar to Druidic or Thieve's Cant about runes and the work of giants. Probably instead of the ''increased reach and jump''.
I mean you do not what that to be their only selling point.

maybe just make something from scratch then?

I still think the farthest they'll go with large size is the Bugbear's Long-Limbed ability, which has not the clearest interpretation about having an extra 5 foot reach, which I think it's only on your turn and wielding a polearm or other things that give reach doesn't give one 15+ feet reach.

The designers issue with large meant the character occupies a 10 foot square, and has +5 feet reach. That means they potentially threaten 36 squares including the 4 squares they occupy. It's been a problem ever since 3.5e standardized the space and reach of large size.

Yes I know 5e doesn't have the Combat Reflexes feat, because that would really make large size even stronger. And that Enlarge/Reduce is a 2nd level spell, but since it's a spell it's something that can be turned off if being large is bringing too many other complications that one didn't consider.

Weiley31

Legend
What could be some drawbacks for Large PCs, to balance out the reach and damage? Sure, the DM could throw some curveballs ("...you can all fit in the secret escape tunnel...except Lenny the Half-ogre...") but what about intrinsic drawbacks of the race?

I was thinking that "large target" could be a thing, making you more vulnerable to ranged attacks, and you might have a harder time dodging fireballs and/or take more damage from them (because you're in more of the fire)...but that of course raises the question of why all the Large monsters don't suffer these same penalties.

Any other ideas?

Or do you just make reach and damage the only racial abilities?
Well difficult terrain would make them spend extra movement to get through. Then there's the fact that full cover could become half cover or what not depending on how big and stuff. Plus if your keeping track of food, then a Large sized creature/pc would have to eat double the amount a Medium or Small character would need to eat. Small weapons like daggers and what not would be impossible to use while some stuff would take the place of "light weapons" for em.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Witchlight uses the new official format for player character races.
Have they announced that this is the new official format, or is that an assumption because it's what appears in the latest published book?

Being Large is a central archetype of mythology and fantasy. D&D has a need for it.
There's being large, and there's being Large.

I am sure, you are not saying this, but the vagueness of your posts, sounds as if you are saying: you want racism, you lost racism, you want racism back.
I think I see where the other person was coming from. Try substituting "worldbuilding" or "flavor" for "racism." (Note: I can see arguments for and against fixed benefits, but that seems to be the one argument for them.)

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Have they announced that this is the new official format, or is that an assumption because it's what appears in the latest published book?

There's being large, and there's being Large.

I think I see where the other person was coming from. Try substituting "worldbuilding" or "flavor" for "racism." (Note: I can see arguments for and against fixed benefits, but that seems to be the argument for them.)
those are not mutually exclusive positions sadly, I want races that are both diverse but also clearly not a human at least as far as a different genus.

cmad1977

Hero
Yet your own characters will still have an alignment, ASIs, and size.

I dont understand what the problem is.

If you think a dwarf should be tough, stout, and Lawful Good, you have it.

As the DM, via the monster statblocks, you can even define the dwarf this way for a particular setting or campaign.

I am not getting what you find objectionable.

Some people are desperate to feel persecuted.

Remove ads