D&D 5E With Saltmarsh, how much of GH is now fair game?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As I understand it, the Saltmarsh recently published is effectively disconnected from Greyhawk. So, the appearance of Saltmarsh implies nothing for Greyhawk on DMs Guild. None of it is free game.

RobJN

Adventurer
None of it, as of the December 03, 2019 Guidelines.

Your work can use any of the 5th Edition D&D rules published by Wizards of the Coast, plus decades of published material for the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Ravnica settings.
For now, DMs Guild is limited to the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Ravnica settings only,
However, for the time being, only Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Ravnica are permitted.
The DMs Guild site is geared toward setting-neutral, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, and Ravnica content only.

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
For a few months now they've had a Ghosts of Saltmarsh storyline as an option when submitting DMs Guild products, and since a portion of Greyhawk is the default setting for Ghosts, so you can essentially set products in Greyhawk if you make it part of that storyline. The area map in Ghosts of Saltmarsh is all Greyhawk material (a small piece of the Azure Sea coastline), but further off areas are referred in the book repeatedly as having influence (Keoland, Sea Princes, Scarlet Brotherhood) in the area, so conceivably you could write an adventure that takes you to one of those areas but still ties into Ghosts.

Here is the DMsGuild page with the "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" storyline selected:

MurlyndX

Explorer
Resurrecting an old thread here, I know....sorry.

I've recently been struggling with this issue. I've developed an adventure to be used with the saltmarsh hardback. And I've been wondering whether I can publish it. I use or mention the Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz, Captain Xendros, Tharzidun, and Kiara Shadowbreaker as well as the environs of Saltmarsh locations.

All of these are in the hardback ... which leaves me wondering if they are fair game or not.

Hussar

Legend
Actually, I don't think any of it is. Just because it's in the hardback doesn't actually matter. None of the GH stuff has been opened up on DM's Guild. All the supplements for Saltmarsh and whatnot are generic, not GH specific, AFAIK.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Actually, I don't think any of it is. Just because it's in the hardback doesn't actually matter. None of the GH stuff has been opened up on DM's Guild. All the supplements for Saltmarsh and whatnot are generic, not GH specific, AFAIK.

I'm not sure if this is true... looking at the material posted, they use plenty of naming from Saltmarsh, so it doesn't seem generic at all; a lot of material seems to be useful for Saltmarsh and nothing else.

I've recently been struggling with this issue. I've developed an adventure to be used with the saltmarsh hardback. And I've been wondering whether I can publish it. I use or mention the Scarlet Brotherhood, Iuz, Captain Xendros, Tharzidun, and Kiara Shadowbreaker as well as the environs of Saltmarsh locations.

All of these are in the hardback ... which leaves me wondering if they are fair game or not.

As long as you stay within the regions in the Saltmarsh map provided, I believe you'll be ok. There is a risk, but if you mark "Saltmarsh Storyline" you should be within the DMsGuild's usage.

RobJN

Adventurer

Per the DM's Guild Format and Content FAQ:

I don’t see anything that would stop me from publishing a Greyhawk or Zendikar or Dark Sun product on DMs Guild. Can I do that?

For now, DMs Guild is limited to the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, Ravnica, and Theros settings only, although you can also publish anything for 5th Edition that (i) is generic enough to be used in a permitted setting without effort and (ii) doesn’t explicitly use anything related to another official Wizards setting.

For example, you can mention Forgotten Realms deities such as Azuth or Mystra, but you can’t mention Boccob, Lunitari, or any other deity from another official D&D setting that hasn't been permitted here. Some deities or characters (such as Vecna or Lord Soth) appear in several settings; they can be mentioned only in the context of approved settings.

dave2008

Legend
Just got me thinking. Since Saltmarsh related content is of for DmsGuild, how much of Greyhawk is now fair game?
None of the rest of Greyhawk is allowed on the DMsGuild. From the DMsGuild FAQ:

1614889716926.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases