Wizard just announced [Your Dream Release]

Title says it all. WotC is about to release the product as you desire it. What is that product.

For me, it's two things.
  • Non-Random (or semi-random) PPM built upon themes (evil-humanoids, heroes, Dragon-Kin, Undead, Constructs, Wild Animals, etc).
  • Classic Adventures that have conversions to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5, and 4th edition. These could be just PDFs or Physical Products.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
an xml document, schema, xslt (for both web and print), and a webservice to access/search the above written by someone that actually knows modern technology and standards, as opposed to what they currently offer.

KahnyaGnorc

First Post
An Unearthed Arcana series of books and/or Dungeon articles that would include many (and eventually all) those options from previous editions that they are unwilling to release for 4th Ed for whatever reason. These options would not be in "official" D&D games (unless the particular game calls for it) and would mainly be used as tools so that DMs could make any campaign that they could make in previous editions into 4e campaigns.

DumbPaladin

First Post
To answer your original question ... I'm starting to realize that even if WotC released something that I REALLY wanted to see, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to give them more of my money.

Reynard

Legend
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wizards of the Coast to Public Dungeons and Dragons Classic (tm) and DDC License

Renton, WA: Today, Wizards of the Coast, publishers of the popular 4th Edition (hereafter 4E) of the venerable Dungeons and Dragons role-playing game, announced that in addition to the continued support of 4E they would be adding a new line dubbed Dungeons and Dragons Classics (DDC) to be supported by the Dungeons and Dragons Classics License.

"Dungeons and Dragons has been the preeminent force in hobby gaming for over 30 years," said a spokesperson, "and the most successful role-playing game ever made. We at Wizards of the Coast recognize that every one of the half dozen or more editions of D&D has its fans, and while we cannot support each such edition individually, we can support the existence of that fan base."

The spokesperson went on the detail plans for DDC: the first release will be DDC Basic, a single 128 page rulebook with all the information needed to play D&D Classic in what was described as "the old Basic/Expert mode"; following would be a three book series called DDC, Advanced, including a Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. "After that," Wizards said, "we plan on seeing what the fan community wants."

The WotC spokesperson said these would not be reprints, but new volumes intended to be compatible with both the previous editions and new "Old School Renaissance" publication popular today.

In addition, the DDCL was announced. "For years, the fan community has kept the fires of D&D and AD&D alive," said the spokesperson, "and we intend to support the continuation of that with the D&D Classics License." The DDCL was described as "similar to the d20 Trademark License" of the 3rd edition era. "The DDCL games are covered by the OGL," Wizards said, "but the DDCL allows fans and publishers to indicate compatibility with Dungeons and Dragons Classics and allows the use of D&D Classics trade dress and trademarks, including creatures and other elements left out of the OGL and SRD."

Dungeons and Dragons Classics, Basic is expected to be released at the Dungeons and Dragons Experience convention in 2012, with the DDC Advanced materials appearing at GenCon 2012.

::sigh::

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Open Source Online Tools and OGL'ing their rules info.

THEN, releasing location-specific boxed sets that include everything you need to run the game right away, arty fluff-rich hardcovers, and continuing the digest-sized paperbacks designed around a specific class, for portable references away from the table.

I'm...not holding my breath. ;)

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Instead of saying (as they have) that they're effectively canning Ravenloft, they're be announcing that the Ravenloft boxed set was well on it's way to a 4Q 2011 release, and would be exactly what Gamma World is, but for the Domains of Dread - a 4e compatible game with a Gothic Horror feel, and tips on how to create the appropriate atmosphere for your game and create a Gothic Horror campaign/adventures.

Remove ads