Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mostly as per book except for:

Druid renamed to Shaman
Psion renamed to Mage
Psychic Warrior renamed to Guardian
(no other XPH classes)

Wombat

First Post
For us a class designation has as much "real world relevance" as characteristics numbers -- no one walks down the street saying, "I have a 15 Strength!"; equally no one walks down the street saying, "I am a Rogue!" (well, actually they might, with a small "r", but they would not mean the character class...).

The class names are simply a way to keep the mechanics in line, not any form of specific designation. A Wizard might be called a wizard, but a Druid, a Sorcerer, or anyone else using magic are just as likely to be called such at any given moment and the Wizard might well consider himself more of a research librarian... ;)

Quickleaf

Legend
Some names for wizards/sorcerers/mages in my campaign:

Magus of the Mind's Lure
Master Warder
Magus of the Eternal Boundary
Brother of the North Wind
Sister of the Southern Mountain
Master Ignem
Hedge Mage
Pure One
Hem Djeret ("High Hand")
Scholar of the Arcanum
"Reality-Challenged" (quote from smart-ass PC rogue)

AelyaShade

First Post
In the campaign I am currently in, I play a sorceror and another player plays a wizard. Unless we are addressing each other specifically by name in game (keep those roleplay points coming!), we find ourselves mocking each other in game to further convey both the differences in class and for roleplay purposes. For example, my sorceror will comment on how we have to wait until the wizard can get his nose out of his spellbook to get his input. Another instance was when we had to gather information from a wizard school and my sorceror was treated like a second-rate citizen. Lots of fun. :)

reanjr

First Post
Clerics are usually referred to as priests or as members of their respective orders. This isn't absolute, though.

Anyone can be referred to as a warrior.

Paladins are sometimes referred to as paladins, though a militant cleric might be referred to as paladin as well.

Anyone can be referred to as a rogue.

The terms wizard, sorcerer, and mage are interchangeable.

Monk can refer to anyone of a monastic order, whether monk class or not.

Druids are often referred to as such.

Anyone can be referred to as a bard, but conversely, most bards are referred to as bards.

The terms fighter and ranger are pretty much never used in any such context.

Anyone can be referred to as a barbarian. Most barbarians would probably be referred to as warriors.

Greylock

First Post
My current most-played character is in my own shorthand a Fighter. To my party he is a Knight. In concept he is a Light Cavalry/Skirmisher. In fact he is a Fighter/Ranger/Windrider. But he's OK with being called by his own name, because that's what all that really matters to him. In the campaign, he has worn more appellations than he really deserves.

frankthedm

First Post
Paladin- Crusader [negative], Zelot[negative]
Cleric- priest, Healer, Cultist[negative], spellbegger [negative]
Ranger- Hunter, stalker [negative], wood witch[negative]
Druid- Wood witch [negative]

WayneLigon

Adventurer
People not 'in the trade' so to speak have a huge number of names for spellcasters but most folk use the terms 'wizard/witch', 'mage', 'enchanter', 'sorcerer' or (if they are feeling fancy) 'thaumaturge'. Really powerful or well known spellcasters might be called 'Archmage' or 'Lord Wizard'. Most people have no real understanding of the difference between a wizard and a sorcerer and wouldn't understand it if you did explain it to them.

People in the know (which includes of course the casters themselves) use 'wizard' or 'sorcerer',
though some regions have more specialized names. Wizards are sometimes called 'Magus' by the northern wizards, while sorcerers are more commonly known as 'evokers' in the south lands.

One specialized name is 'Artificier' for an arcane caster that primarily makes items. The technical term for all arcane spellcasters is 'arcanist' or (for the really powerful or knowledgeable) 'Arcanadian'.

Fighter is kind of the default class of any classed people. There isn't a special name for it beyond 'swordsman' or 'warrior'.

Paladins are sometimes called 'Godsons' or 'Touched'. 'Touched' is sometimes used to refer to clerics, though 'Speaker' is a more common term. 'Theurge' is the proper technical term. Rangers have no special term unless they are part of an organization. One small group are known as 'greenwalkers'.

Druids are 'druids' to other spellcasters. Virtually no-one uses that name otherwise. The usual term is 'Shepard', though sometimes 'Preserver' or 'Lifegiver' is used.

Remove ads