• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizard strategies discussed

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Shocking Grasp is also one of the few spells that remove the reaction of the opponent. If the thing you're fighting has a powerful reaction power like parry, an attack, or reaction spells, taking their reaction away can be quite a potent ability for a cantrip. I believe only the monk with Stunning Attack or an Open Hand monk has the ability to prevent a creature from taking a reaction. I like to have cantrips for a variety of situations. Shocking Grasp can be an effective tactical ability against creatures with lots of reaction. A shocking grasp against a hydra can prevent AoOs from its head. A shocking grasp on a caster can prevent the use of the shield spell or a counterspell. I think any good wizard would want shocking grasp in their repertoire for use against creatures with strong reaction abilities.

Last edited:

Haven't read the entire wall of texts you guys are throwing all over the place but I got to say something about the minor illusion and the halfling in a box scenario.

In my games, if the Orog was fighting a halfling and suddenly a box appeared were the halfling stood the Orog would have just smashed the box! Minor illusion is a great cantrip but the halfling in a box is just a silly example.

Warder

The Orog using its action to "smash" the box is one of the best possible outcomes.

Shocking Grasp[/I is also one of the few spells that remove the reaction of the opponent. If the thing you're fighting has a powerful reaction power like parry, an attack, or reaction spells, taking their reaction away can be quite a potent ability for a cantrip. I believe only the monk with Stunning Attack or an Open Hand monk has the ability to prevent a creature from taking a reaction. I like to have cantrips for a variety of situations. Shocking Grasp can be an effective tactical ability against creatures with lots of reaction. A shocking grasp against a hydra can prevent AoOs from its head. A shocking grasp on a caster can prevent the use of the shield spell or a counterspell. I think any good wizard would want shocking grasp in their repertoire for use against creatures with strong reaction abilities.

I'm going to respond with what is obviously a generalization, and there are obvious exceptions, but usually Actions are more potent than Reactions. Trading your action to prevent a reaction still might be decent if your side has more actions (party against a single toughie), but trading your action for the chance (must hit on to hit roll) of removing a reaction is going to be a bad trade even for tough reactions.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I'm going to respond with what is obviously a generalization, and there are obvious exceptions, but usually Actions are more potent than Reactions. Trading your action to prevent a reaction still might be decent if your side has more actions (party against a single toughie), but trading your action for the chance (must hit on to hit roll) of removing a reaction is going to be a bad trade even for tough reactions.

The wizard is about options. If you are fighting a creature that is surviving due to reaction abilities like Parry, using an ability that removes them at a key time to allow attacks to land can be a powerful use of the ability.

In actual use, the only time I've used shocking grasp is to avoid AoOs while doing damage and avoiding using spell slots on what I deem weak opponents that have somehow gotten close enough to attack me. I recall using it against some lizard men that swarmed us. It seemed better than using the disengage action because it did some damage and it effectively acted as the Disengage action.

I think I also used it against an Eldritch Knight opponent with a fairly high AC that was using shield to boost his AC up to allow the rest of the party to land some heavy hits.

It's a good cantrip to take because it does something you can't do with other spells. As a wizard I like to have as many tools in my toolbox as possible. I can do what most of the other cantrips can do with some other spell at higher level.

Remove ads