D&D General Wizards are not rational/scientists

Said it before, will say it again. There's nothing "magical" about D&D magic. It works more or less every time, and is dull and predictable. It takes no more effort to learn than really anything else... actually less, given how little something like a champion gets over an eldritch knight. There's no good reason why every class isn't some kind of caster inherently. It would be like a modern person not using technology. Except tech can fail and break, so magic is actually more reliable.

Real magic should often bite you in the ass, even when it works. D&D magic is just a plot coupon with a sparkly skin.

Oofta

Legend
Said it before, will say it again. There's nothing "magical" about D&D magic. It works more or less every time, and is dull and predictable. It takes no more effort to learn than really anything else... actually less, given how little something like a champion gets over an eldritch knight. There's no good reason why every class isn't some kind of caster inherently. It would be like a modern person not using technology. Except tech can fail and break, so magic is actually more reliable.

Real magic should often bite you in the ass, even when it works. D&D magic is just a plot coupon with a sparkly skin.
That's only true for some fiction, not the majority. If you want to run a caster like that run a wild mage.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
See, based on the title, I thought this was gonna go in a very different direction. That is...my big problem with Wizards is that none of their mechanics actually mesh with their theme.

Sorcerers clearly have a physical tie to their magic. That's why they can literally grow wings (for Dragon sorcerers) or other fun things. Warlocks? Between the Pact/Patron divide, Invocations, and their unique approach to magic, they feel different, though I would of course like some even stronger flavor elements if possible. Bards are the ultimate versatility class, capable of being second-best at nearly anything, and pretty decent at most things. And they actually Inspire people, and actually soothe them with song or story (Song of Rest).

But Wizards? Wizards don't actually do research, it's all just handwaved. Wizards don't actually study much of anything, it's all implied and insinuated. "Oh, the new spells you got are ones you were researching," some say, but that justification applies to any class that gets spells. By those lights, a Bard is superior at research, since they can acquire spells Wizards never could.

It has always bothered me greatly that this is the case, that the Wizard's identity has been effectively offloaded entirely to its spell list and the fact that it can learn spells from scrolls. I truly, deeply wish they'd given Wizards more research-, study-, and academia-related benefits. As it stands, they're very nearly devoid of the one explicit flavor component the class is supposed to have. It would be like having Fighters that mostly don't make attack rolls due to all their abilities inducing saving throws. Or Clerics that never actually do anything religious, other than calling their spells "prayers."

I am not sure it's even that common, let enough "often" bite you in the ass. Isn't that a trope that appeared with the idea that a god granting miracles is Team Good and therefore anything else (witches?) must be evil? Circe or Medea seemed to be quite assured their magic would work...

Or Clerics that never actually do anything religious, other than calling their spells "prayers."

I generally agree with you with regard to designing a more "study-related" class, but I'd say that PC Clerics rarely do anything religious other than cast spells. When they act on the behalf of their religious order, they don't do this differently than any other hero would if hired. (I also agree that it's not the system's fault).

Remove ads