• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards are supposed to be rich, right?

IceFractal

First Post
A lot is in how you phrase it. Let's take Wall of Iron, for example:

Incorrect: "I'm going to cast Wall of Iron and sell it, how much does X pounds iron sell for?"

Correct: "I'm going to Fabricate some weaponry. How much does it cost to buy iron?" And then sell your iron, if the price is decent. If the price is ridiculously low, buy a bunch of iron instead and Fabricate stuff with it.

Now yes, this is a little sneaky, but from what happened with your previous attempts, the DM is likely to render any direct approach spontaneously ineffective. This works with spellcasting, as well. Ask how much it would cost to hire a spellcaster to cast some spells on your behalf. Then you can either sell your own spells at that rate (if high) or get a bunch of spells cast for you cheaply (if low). You win either way.

Sejs

First Post
Find a rich man and kill him. Then find a richer man and kill him, too!

Hack and slash your way to fortune! Woohoo!

...Lilarcor aside, yeah, let me echo what's already been said. It's not the system that's preventing you from making money, it's your DM. He's being a jackass. Unless you know of a way to crack that particular nutshell, nothing we suggest can really help you.

Thanee

First Post
Blue Sky said:
What kinds of ways can a wizard/sorcerer use to increase his wealth?

I have access to 4th-7th level wizards spells...

I was wondering for a second, what kind of weird wizard/sorcerer you are, but then I realized... you are a bard/sublime chord! :D

Anyways... the problem here is - as others have pointed out - not your creativity, but the DM's lack of appreciation of it.

Bye
Thanee

Iku Rex

Explorer
In Sharn you could join one of the wizards circles. (Sharn - City of Towers page 146.) One of the benefits is that you can sell spellcasting services through the organization. According to the book you "can usually sell a few spells each day". The Sharn book (page 23) also says that nobody (except you, that is) in the city is capable of casting 7th level spells and 6th level spells are hardly ever sold. Greater teleport or limited wish (-> raise dead) could make you a lot of money if the DM is reasonable about it.

(This is all pointless if the DM won't let you earn money without killing monsters of course.)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
As CRGreathouse mentioned above, Item Creation is the most reliable way for a PC wizard to make money. Offer a discount to the other players and they have no real reason to go elsewhre for items you can manage.

Then all you need is the time to make the items and the spare XP.

And the DM is hardly involved at all. Unless you suddenly find it very hard to find the components to make said items :\

arscott

First Post
Blue Sky said:
I've tried using my incredible perform modifier (+30) to gain a noble sponsor, but the DM says "Your stories are *insert homophobic derogatory statement here* and elven, so no one wants to hear them." (putz!)

Making bigoted remarks and not letting you take advantage of your character's basic abilities? My advice is to get a new DM.

Falkus

Explorer
I've tried using my incredible perform modifier (+30) to gain a noble sponsor, but the DM says "Your stories are *insert homophobic derogatory statement here* and elven, so no one wants to hear them." (putz!)

Whack him over the head with the rulebook, and leave.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads