WotC Wizard's Future Plans Has 3 Big Problems: Ft. The Professor of Tolarion Community College

teitan

Legend
There is some other stuff, like the terrain case and creature token case that we're released recently and are just very expensive garbage, where even WotC earlier products are way better and give you much more for the money ...
Yeah but they don't make a blip really. I agree though, they were very much throw something as the wall and see if it sticks type of things. Good idea but poor execution. I still have my 4e monster tokens. Those were a good design. Still I think they were better than Wizkids rip off of skinny minis that are overpriced for what you get in the package.

Fizban's is great. Was Ravenloft before or after Tasha's because I love Ravenloft. I can't think of anything except Spelljammer I didn't like but Strixhaven, and my wife likes it.
I have similar views about Strixhaven. Whist I felt it wasn't for me, it's by far the most innovative thing WotC has published for a long time.

And it appears to have sold relatively poorly.

It's a shame the market is so conservative, WotC is being discouraged from innovation.

I have similar views about Strixhaven. Whist I felt it wasn't for me, it's by far the most innovative thing WotC has published for a long time.

And it appears to have sold relatively poorly.

It's a shame the market is so conservative, WotC is being discouraged from innovation.
Innovation does not always lead to success. We see the survivors in nature but not all the failures as they die out.

I find the books over the past few years to lack coherence. Writer teams are too large and editing and design direction not strong enough.

Strixhaven was not even that innovative - a cross between Harry Potter and what seemed like Japanese manga series set in high schools.

Innovation does not always lead to success.
No it doesn't. But without it we will never see anything great.
We see the survivors in nature but not all the failures as they die out.

I find the books over the past few years to lack coherence. Writer teams are too large and editing and design direction not strong enough.

Strixhaven was not even that innovative - a cross between Harry Potter and what seemed like Japanese manga series set in high schools.
It's all relative, of course.

Oofta

Legend
Some times innovations lead to success, but a lot of time later.

Stryxhaven could be very popular if they hire the right writter.

I think the idea of a school for adventurers would have gone over better instead of just a school for magic users. I know you just had to be "interested" in magic, but not everyone wants to play a wizard. So if even 1 person in the group doesn't like the concept it's probably going to be passed over for something else.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah but they don't make a blip really. I agree though, they were very much throw something as the wall and see if it sticks type of things. Good idea but poor execution. I still have my 4e monster tokens. Those were a good design. Still I think they were better than Wizkids rip off of skinny minis that are overpriced for what you get in the package.
The acrylic stand-ups look very nice, and they are less than $1 apiece vs. the $4-5 per pre-painted mini cost. If I didn't have 30+ years of minis, the acrylics is the way I would have gone. Yes, yes, I know the cardboard tokens are even cheaper, but they feel cheap too. I've got the old fold-ups back from the D&D basic line and the 4E tokens from Monster Vault and I've NEVER used them (mainly because of having tons of minis already). I'd use the acrylics, though.

Also, as a side note I've bought the campaign set of monsters for my wife's game, but she's been reluctant to use them because putting the static-based stickers back is a pain.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fizban's is great. Was Ravenloft before or after Tasha's because I love Ravenloft. I can't think of anything except Spelljammer I didn't like but Strixhaven, and my wife likes it.
Ravenloft was the next book after Tasha's, implemented all of Tasha's changes, and was the first book to have Mosnters of the Multiverse style Rave and Monster options (as it turns out, stealth OneD&D options). I don't think that quality has declined, in general.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Ravenloft was the next book after Tasha's, implemented all of Tasha's changes, and was the first book to have Mosnters of the Multiverse style Rave and Monster options (as it turns out, stealth OneD&D options). I don't think that quality has declined, in general.
I agree with you that to me quality hasn't declined. The entire 5e publication schedule has been IMO bumpy in terms of quality, as in there are some things that are pretty good but not great, and others that aren't as good but not bad. But there's no trend - it's up and down from product to product rather than an overall upward or downward trend.

But then 5e D&D to me overall has been the "fine" edition of the game. Nothing so bad I need to rant about it, nothing so good I need to rave about it. It's all just ... fine. The closest to something great that I'd rave about is probably Radiant Citadel - and it's one of the more recent offerings.

Remove ads