WotC Wizard's Future Plans Has 3 Big Problems: Ft. The Professor of Tolarion Community College

I wonder what the legality is of just using stuff that was in the old second edition. I imagine there would be issues if they released stuff word for word the same even if some customers would be happy with that since they don't have access to the original books. The authors of those books probably still have some legal rights to what they wrote for TSR even if WotC bought the company.

So how far away from the original content do they have to get to avoid any legal issues? Could that be part of the issue with why these revisiting old setting books are so thin on the ground.
It's pretty well established that WotC owns the 2e stuff lock, stock and barrel, and there's no obligations of any sort to the original authors (who were paid at the time, and whose IP became TSRs IP)

Hussar

Legend
OTOH, the DM'S Guild has really gone to bat for the Spelljammer stuff though. THere is a TON of stuff there, plus lots on homebrew as well. I've got half a dozen planet generators and system generators too. So, it's not like you're left in the lurch if you want to homebrew for Spelljammer.

OTOH, the DM'S Guild has really gone to bat for the Spelljammer stuff though. THere is a TON of stuff there, plus lots on homebrew as well. I've got half a dozen planet generators and system generators too. So, it's not like you're left in the lurch if you want to homebrew for Spelljammer.

That doesn't make up for the slipcase being a naughty word product, besides the great art and races. Your better off honestly just skipping to dmsguide for Spelljammer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I wonder what the legality is of just using stuff that was in the old second edition. I imagine there would be issues if they released stuff word for word the same even if some customers would be happy with that since they don't have access to the original books. The authors of those books probably still have some legal rights to what they wrote for TSR even if WotC bought the company.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. TSR bought the rights to the IP they used and workers for companies often sign the rights to things they come up with for a company away.
So how far away from the original content do they have to get to avoid any legal issues? Could that be part of the issue with why these revisiting old setting books are so thin on the ground.
These guys aren't rich, so I'd bet that they aren't keen to find out where the line is by being taken to court. Better to just come up with all new ideas.

Remove ads