D&D 5E Wizards is hiring a senior game designer for Dungeons & Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I used to say a lot of the same things I'm hearing here. Just work harder. Being poor is a choice.

Then I realized that many people don't have a choice. Maybe they are physically unable? Or victims of disparate treatment? Or jobs aren't available? Do all of those people deserve to be poor?

I joined the military to escape poverty (and no, my American poverty didn't include enough food to be obese--thats ignorant and insulting). But many can't join the military. None should have to.

I find it quite disingenuous to say it's a matter of choice when:

Person A has to do x and y things to avoid poverty and person B has to do x, y, z, and w to avoid poverty. It's not an even playing field. And it's pretty low to judge someone who has to sacrifice more than you, or has to work harder than you, just to reach the same level of income as you if they don't happen to manage that.

And that's nothing to say about how some careers deserve to be poorer than others. That's a failing of our culture, not a judgement on their character. I can tell you teachers work much harder than many corporate execs, and certainly are more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads