• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards of the Coast to reprint D&D 3.5

qstor

Adventurer
I hope they reprint 2nd edition as I could do with replacing my copies of the core books.

The 2e books I got second hand from Ebay and the 1st edition ones are in great shape. I'll probably get the 3.5 ones as my PHB is really worn from throwing it in a bag for GenCon for a few years from 2001-2007.

I got the 1st edition ones too. I thought that was a great move on WOTC's part.

Mike

I'd much rather have 2E settings reprinted than core books.

I think this sort of thing could be a winner for WotC, especially if they can minimise the cost of any additional editing and layout.

In addition I imagine quite a few people would be interested in buying things like the FR Faiths & Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, etc. Whether it would be enough for the sorts of print runs WotC need is another matter though.

I guess they need to have some product coming out between now and next August (when I expect 5E to be released).

Olaf the Stout

Yora

Legend
Since lots of AD&D books have close to no crunch at all, it'd be very easy to update them to other editions or even make them completely independent of any rules.

Daztur

Adventurer
3.5 also saw the birth/rise of the Adventure Path.

Rise. The first D&D modules that could really be called an adventure path would be the Dragonlance modules, the first of which came out in 1984. There are earlier modules that are strung together but the Dragonlance ones are the first (IIRC) that lay out a clear path.

As far as 3ed having the best rules, well it certainly has the most flexibility, but for me its the Riftworld edition, lots and lots of cool stuff, but the rules are often pretty damn borked.

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
If WotC does reprint settings, which versions should they pick? The determining factors, IMO, are going to be demand, attractiveness to fans, and production costs. The last factor means that, IMO, we're likely to see a preference for hardcovers or for boxed sets repackaged as hardcover volumes. WotC has done the latter once already with Council of Wyrms. And Birthright almost got the same treatment before it was canned; I don't know if the hardcover planned for Summer 1998 was going to be a repackaging or a true 2nd Edition. I wonder if the files still exist anywhere.

The Realms are going to be the big problem in this regard--the Grey Box, the Revised Box and the 3E version all have their adherents, AFAIK. Of course, between the 4E book and the forthcoming "Elminster Presents Ed Greenwood's Realms", they might see no point.

Dragonlance . . . the 3.5 version is still available cheap used, and Tales of the Lance was not well received and includes a whole lot of physical fiddly bits that wouldn't convert well and would probably be too expensive to reproduce. DRAGONLANCE Adventures would work as something that fans like and could be done inexpensively, but it's really an appendage to the original modules and a sourcebook for the Legends novels. A reprint of the Dragonlance Classics compilations might be workable, though.

Dark Sun was done recently for 4E and is difficult to convert from boxed to book, AFAIK.

Greyhawk? The 80s folio is pretty much the only option for the nostalgia market, unless the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer had a much bigger following than I've heard about.

Planescape . . . I'm not familiar with the way the boxed set is laid out, but could it be combined into a hardcover and separate map pack without too much loss of cohesion?

Ravenloft already has a well-received hardcover in Domains of Dread; the 3E version is also hardcover, but suffers from the decision to spin off "DMs only" material into a supplement.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Note that there is actually a big difference between the US market and the German market. Reprinting one edition in a different market might make a lot more sense than it initially appears. :)

Cheers!

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
If WotC does reprint settings, which versions should they pick?

Of your list, Planescape is the obvious choice. It's a unique and special piece of history that has never been properly reprinted or revised. Plus, it has a rather large fanbase. I'm pretty sure you could merge most of the material into one hardcover and it would sell rather well.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Note that there is actually a big difference between the US market and the German market. Reprinting one edition in a different market might make a lot more sense than it initially appears. :)

Hmmh, but 3.5e, was actually quite well supported with German translations by then-licensee Feder & Schwert. Would gamers using those books want to buy a reprinted English edition?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
ISBNs can be confirmed... Let's have those numbers. Any book including the errata will have a brand-spanking-new ISBN due to being changed.

Why? As far as I know, a company can do just about what it wants with an ISBN. It's supposed to uniquely identify one edition of a book, but a little errata doesn't mean that you have to get a new ISBN. I know there are books out there with completely redesigned covers that have kept the same ISBN.

Remove ads