• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wizards out of the norm

EverSoar

First Post
im about to play in a new campaign, set in forgotten realms

i wanna play a wizard, but i dont know exactly what i wanna do with him

we will be starting at level 3

and my stats are in no particular order

i wanna play a character out of the norm.

what wizards have u all played, any ideas

also any non-evil alignment

thanks

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
How about a half-orc wizard? Would that be sufficiently "out of the norm" for you? :D

Since you are playing in the Forgotten Realms, take that feat from the FRCS that gives you an effective bonus to your primary spellcasting attribute as far as spellcasting is concerned - this should offset the Int penalty.

Personally, I'm planning to play such a character once I participate in another D&D campaign. Alignment would be true neutral - he's not malicious, but he has been insulted too often to care much about strangers. He will only be helpful and friendly to those who are treating him with respect. The only exception to this are children, who are "too young to know better"...

All in all, he's rather cynical. Depending on how life - and other people - treat him during the campaign, he could become either good or evil. He craves respect, but is too proud to ask for it.

kengar

First Post
FRCS Feat is called "Spellcasting Prodigy" and must be taken at 1st level. So if you want it, take it now :)

Half-orc wizard would be interesting. Also look into some of the less "popular" specializations. With my group it seems that everyone takes Divination as one of their forbidden schools (and/or Necromancy). Why not a Diviner with Evocation as your forbidden school? It means less firepower (no Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc.) but your character could be more about knowledge and scrying and so forth. No real reason you'd have to choose evocation as your forbidden school, just would be different.

Certainly an interesting character to RP. The half-orc who loves learning and knowledge and rejects the violence of his orcish heritage. :D

arwink

Clockwork Golem
The wizard one of my friends has been dying to play is a CG half-orc necromancer with a really good Charisma.

You know you shouldn't like him, but he just seems like someone who'se really, really misunderstood :)

Angelsboi

First Post
best character we ran into as a group. A 1/2 orc with a 8 str and a 10 int named Thudd. Why? Thats the sound he made his first time on the battle field. Could only cast cantrips. GREAT character.

I have a summoner who has evocation as a barred school.

Maybe make an elementalist?

A dwarven earth elemental savant?

A dwarf who casts his spells by cutting into his arm?

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
EverSoar said:

i wanna play a wizard, but i dont know exactly what i wanna do with him

Do you want to blow things up?

Do you want to buff other people?

Do you want to be the "source of information"?

Do you want to be an artificer, making stuff for others?

Do you want a straight wizard, or would you consider a multiclass wizard? Rogue1/Wiz2 would be interesting, Monk1/Wiz(enchanter)2 Mystic would be useful, Barb1/Wiz2 would be stunningly unusual.

You might want to consider potential prestige classes and what you would need to do to get into them (Loremaster? Arcane Trickster? Ragemage (from Dragon)? FR-specific like Battlemage?

Cheers

Shallown

First Post
One of the guys running a sorceror in our group has specialized in summoning undead (FR MAgic of Faerun, I think) and beefing them up. He more or less summons them then grapples targets and holds them in place for the players to smack around. Also useful for taking out other spell casters and rogues. He has other spells of some use but focuses on this.

Its definately different.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Or you could use a monster race, say a Gnollish wizard. The ELC is +1...but hey you get some COOL feats AND extra HD.

Mobius

First Post
How flexible is your GM?

Abject individualist. He broke away from his school of X so that he could push the envelope as far as spellcasting goes and ended up on the mean streats of some city. He learned to knife fight the hard way, and so has above average skill with knives and daggers, but lots of scars to show that he earned that skill. He fights with two daggers or two knives - you get the drift.

His spells are 100% created by him, except the few that he started with in X school. You will need to work with your GM a lot on this one, but it might be worth it. He sells whatever scrolls or spellbooks he finds in order to finance his own research, conducted mostly in his little hovel in said city. No one in his group of toughs knows that he is a mage and he prefers to keep it that way. He specializes in minor magical items that make life SO much simpler as a vagabond/thief/gadabout.

He is tall, has piercing black eyes set deep in his head and has a receding hairline. He wears his hair long, but occasionally ties it back with leather strips to keep it out of his eyes. He shaves ... occasionally. He is lithe and relatively nimble, but he leaves the scammin' and grabbin' to his more capable friends, who have a variety of nicknames for him, all centering upon his apparent love of books. All of his cronies acknowledge that he is the nominal brains behind their excursions and it is his research into their jobs that has kept them alive on the streets.

Nonetheless, he is torn by going legit. He likes his friends, but knows deep in his bones that the only way out of the streets is into organized crime or floating in the harbour/river. He has resolved to make a break for it, hoping that his friends understand, but determined to put his varied skills to better use. Once out of his circle, he meets the other PCs.

So, if you think this works for you, you wil need to:

a) convince your GM that this character deserves to have greater than a normal mage's skill with weapons, but just in daggers and knives.

b) convince your GM that you should have a selection of spells you have designed yourself.

c) Be prepared to give up something in order to get this flexibility, i.e. charisma penalty for the scars, fewer spells without a mentor or school to help, negative stigma for lifestyle, etc.

Have fun!

Remove ads