Pathfinder 1E Wizkids should take the Pathfinder 1.0 ruleset and publish their own RPG.

Aldarc

Legend
How is adaptation of 5E necessarily a threat to creative diversity? I can point to plenty of non-5E games out there just as easily, such as (DCC, Burning Wheel, Powered by the Apocalypse, FATE, Vampire, Star Trek Adventures, Star Wars) that are doing fine. 5E is not a threat to that, y any means.
Have you ever watched someone repeatedly try to push a large cube through a small round hole and not ask if there were more appropriate and suitable places for that cube on their board? If the answer to every question of "what system would fit best with this setting?" is 5e, then I would tend to find both the TTRPG awareness and creativity of creators to be somewhat lacking, almost putting the cart before the horse.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have you ever watched someone repeatedly try to push a large cube through a small round hole and not ask if there were more appropriate and suitable places for that cube on their board? If the answer to every question of "what system would fit best with this setting?" is 5e, then I would tend to find both the TTRPG awareness and creativity of creators to be somewhat lacking, almost putting the cart before the horse.

That's not what is happening, the questions being answered are "What system am I playing and familiar enough with to create content for it?" and "What system will people be familiar with enough to buy this product?"

5E can do just about any setting you throw at it. This hasn't stopped people making other systems, by any means, that's going very well. But it is entirely legitimate to use what is both popular and open source. To use the Adventures in Middle Earth example, they have their own system and 5E for Middle Earth. The really successful indie hustlers are publishing for multiple systems, it seems (Goodman Games, Green Ronin, Troll Lord Games, Kobold Press, Sasquatch Games, etc.).

Aldarc

Legend
That's not what is happening, the questions being answered are "What system am I playing and familiar enough with to create content for it?" and "What system will people be familiar with enough to buy this product?"
Which is a nice, roundabout way of saying that ignorance is breeding more ignorance in a feedback loop in which people are only familiar with 5e and so this is what people mostly make, perpetuating the problem.

5E can do just about any setting you throw at it.
I don't think is even remotely true, and you should know better than that. It's just more of the same "D&D can do everything" line of BS.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which is a nice, roundabout way of saying that ignorance is breeding more ignorance in a feedback loop in which people are only familiar with 5e and so this is what people mostly make, perpetuating the problem.

This assumes that there is a problem where it none. Knowing and liking a system that does what one needs is hardly "ignorance."

I don't think is even remotely true, and you should know better than that. It's just more of the same "D&D can do everything" line of BS.

No BS, you can do anything you want with D&D, and 5E is particularly flexible.

Aldarc

Legend
A very good property, a fantasy one, just released a source book for free Bering their world using Monte Cooks system.
I am aware and I did mention it before even.

This assumes that there is a problem where it none. Knowing and liking a system that does what one needs is hardly "ignorance."
IME, there is a tremendous degree of ignorance of games outside of 5e and D&D, and you can see for yourself a lot of that ignorance in these forums as well. There are a fair number of people who have no real grasp of other systems outside of the D&D brand.

No BS, you can do anything you want with D&D, and 5E is particularly flexible.
Yes, BS. D&D can do D&D well, but the idea that it can do everything is astoundingly absurd.

And again, tons of systems are out there right now flourishing. How is it a problem that 5E is particularly successful?
I'm watching the space of those other systems shrink on the shelves of my hobby stores to make more room for 5e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am aware and I did mention it before even.

IME, there is a tremendous degree of ignorance of games outside of 5e and D&D, and you can see for yourself a lot of that ignorance in these forums as well. There are a fair number of people who have no real grasp of other systems outside of the D&D brand.

Yes, BS. D&D can do D&D well, but the idea that it can do everything is astoundingly absurd.

I'm watching the space of those other systems shrink on the shelves of my hobby stores to make more room for 5e.

Hobby stores aren't the place to get RPGs primarily anymore if you want something beyond the standard, the FLGS needs to make their ROI and 5E material is their smart bet as their belts are tightening all around. The indie RPG scene is moving more and more towards ecommerce, including Kickstarter and Patreon. More room for creativity outside the brick and mortar. That's not 5E, that's 2019 retail realities.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And, yes, D&D can do anything, just as Traveller or Story Teller can do anything. Mechanics are not a limit on playing in any setting.

Last edited:

Remove ads