WOIN [WOIN] Homebrew WOIN Careers for (science-) Fantasy.

So Far I've played a whole Lot of WOIN with my faithful fixed group of many years. Some smaller testruns, a trial campaign using some more elements, and now a big STALKER-Myth-esque wasteland setting I might post here later. Over that period, I've had to make some custom careers to allow my players to design the character they really wanted to make but couldn't cobble together from the stock ones. Next to some more vanilla careers that focus on barbrawling, mounted combat expertise, and the bright mage (someone uses a warhammer light order wizard as tabletop miniature), there are some exotic and potentially rather OP ones like the Mindblade (soulknife), Warrior poet and spirit archer.

Regardless, I've decided to formalise my notes and compile this list of careers that you may or may not want to take a peek at.

edit: updated attached document - a little formating and a fix to the requirements of the Warrior-Poet career.
edit 2: fixed up some things. Mostly minour stuff; Formatting oversights in particular - but also some required skills and modifying some exploits slightly.

Attachments

• Eurik's Fantasy WOIN Careers.pdf
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

M3woods

Explorer
After only a cursory skim, I need to ask, at what Grade do the PCs generally start? I ask because, wow, the Warrior Poet has to be Grade 12 to follow the Warrior's Path. That's some dedication to a career.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree. I always avoided putting grade requirements on careers. MDP 8+ is, indeed, a heck of a requirement. If I were to require something that high, I'd make the rewards commensurate with the requirement.

I've skimmed the rest and it looks pretty cool! Some great ideas there!

Hum. I was typing over my old paper notes on autopilot while simultaneously translating them out of Dutch into English. I didn't quite note the implications of that requirement, and maybe a few other things on the list. I just now whipped out a rulebook, and players would need 11 career grades before they could take their first level of warrior poet. that is indeed a little too much, for too little return in hindsight.

I guess being eligible to take the warrior poet class should rather be tied to having been a minstrel in the past or somesuch.

Apologies for the oversight!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hum. I was typing over my old paper notes on autopilot while simultaneously translating them out of Dutch into English. I didn't quite note the implications of that requirement, and maybe a few other things on the list. I just now whipped out a rulebook, and players would need 11 career grades before they could take their first level of warrior poet. that is indeed a little too much, for too little return in hindsight.

I guess being eligible to take the warrior poet class should rather be tied to having been a minstrel in the past or somesuch.

Apologies for the oversight!

No need to apologise! Feedback is fun!

I might suggest ranks in performance and maybe at least one melee weapon?

I now realise that I use a lot of rather freeform terms throughout the document - I should clarify that in combat I mix in some elements from D&D like opportunity strikes, combat advantages and the like, which are handled differently in WOIN's system. Mainly because my players are a bit more comfortable with that after all the Questing we've done in that system.

So I guess some career exploits in the document will have to be arbitrated a little for use in a more rigidly adherent to the rules campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases