D&D 5E Wording of Hex Warrior

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
So I was looking at Hex Warrior. At 1st level you can touch one weapon after a long rest and you can use CHA instead of STR or DEX until the end of your next long rest. After a long rest you can do this again. Now if you get Pact of The Blade can I summon my pact weapon with CHA and choose a weapon at the end of my long rest?

Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest.
If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.

Based on the sentence prior to this one, "this benefit" means the Charisma thing from two sentences prior. It does not mean the touching thing. The touching is just how you apply the benefit; it's not the benefit. (Don't get me wrong; I think touching your weapon during a long rest is perfectly normal and healthy for a warlock your age.)

"extends to every pact weapon you conjure" = I interpret the word "every" in this sentence to mean just that. The benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure, no matter its type, and no matter whether or not you have touched it at the end of a long rest.

I wonder whether or not the intent is to say that you can get the Cha bonus on both your pact weapon and one other weapon simultaneously. I always assumed that using your pact weapon still counted as the "one" weapon, but the phrasing is very unclear.

I wonder whether or not the intent is to say that you can get the Cha bonus on both your pact weapon and one other weapon simultaneously. I always assumed that using your pact weapon still counted as the "one" weapon, but the phrasing is very unclear.
RAW, it appears you can have a touched weapon and a pact weapon that you can add your CHA with. However, the touched weapon must be proficient and not two handed, wheras the pact weapon can be anything (I'm surprised you don't see more warlocks packing laser carbines :whistle: ).

Last edited:

RAW, it appears you can have a touched weapon and a pact weapon that you can add your CHA with. However, the touched weapon must be proficient and not two handed, wheras the pact weapon can be anything (I'm surprised you don't see more warlocks packing laser carbines :whistle: ).
I think there's a shortage of magical laser carbines in most campaigns. A bladelock can make any magical weapon into his pact weapon, but he can only create melee weapons.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I suppose that is up to the DM, but nothing in the text implies the Hex Warrior weapon and the Pact Weapon must be the same weapon.

Example, suppose after finishing your long rest you bond a longsword via Hex Warrior to use CHA. Later in a fight you use your Pact Weapon feature to create a shortsword in your other hand. Since it is a Pact Weapon, to automatically gains the benefit of the Hex Warrior feature as well.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I think there's a shortage of magical laser carbines in most campaigns. A bladelock can make any magical weapon into his pact weapon, but he can only create melee weapons.
If the warlock gets the improved pact weapon invocation they can make ranged weapons. though I doubt most GMs are going to let Laser Carbine fly. lol

I like the idea having a sword, changing it to a glave or whip with booming blade to assist the tank, then a crossbow when enemies run instead of eldritch blast.

Last edited:

There are still quite a few options for warlocks who like to push their luck: e.g. a Shadow Blade, Elven Double Bladed Scimitar, Light Sabre, Chainsword etc.... ;)

Yes, you can make your Hex Warrior weapon different from your Pact of the Blade weapon and use charisma for both.

In fact, it may be possible to get a discount Two Weapon Fighting Style if Hex Warrior gives you charisma to damage on your off-hand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases