D&D 5E Working on a Warlord Full Class

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I quoted this post, because the other one was too long.
Instead of changing fighter maneuvers to you or an ally, you probably should just give the warlord a level one feature that says:
if a power says you, you can also allow an ally to do it as a bonus action. If a power grants an attack to your ally, you can do an attack as a bonus action.
I think maybe I am liking this better the more that I think about it...
Basically the idea is roughly
Meta Maneuvers
Battle Shout
: you can use help or trigger an allies use of a maneuver you yourself know from range of up to 30 feet. Keep or fix the battlemaster maneuvers written the same.
Battle Signals : allies only need to see you for you to help them at range (but they can be deafened).
Coordinated Maneuvering: you may allow multiple targets to perform maneuvers you know against the same target.
Battle Plan: you may allow multiple targets to perform different maneuvers as part of a single bonus action.

And some might be less related to maneuvers.
War Cry : you may allow allies to use your initiative value.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Okay, here's another subclass. I have some concerns that I made it too strong. Also, I never used the 3e marshal class, which is the inspiration for it, so I would love to hear from anyone who has played one whether this seems to catch the basic feel and flavor of that class. Anyhow:

MARSHAL
A marshal projects magical auras, similar to those generated by a paladin, to aid his or her allies. These auras have a variety of effects that bolster and boost the marshal’s auras. A marshal relies on his or her Charisma to lead, with the auras manifesting through sheer force of personality.

MARSHAL’S AURA: Beginning at 3rd level, you learn to magically project an aura that helps your allies. Activating an aura uses your bonus action and involves cajoling, directing, haranguing, and encouraging your allies. The aura extends to a range of 30’ around you and effects allies that can hear or see you. The aura remains active for as long as you concentrate, as if concentrating on a spell, to a maximum of one minute. It can also be ended early if you or it are the target of a dispel magic spell. You can only have one minor aura active at a time, and you can activate an aura a number of times equal to your Charisma bonus, then must complete a long rest before you can do so again. When you use this ability, choose one of the following auras to activate.
  • Art of War Aura: Once per round, each ally in the aura can add one of your leadership dice to an attack roll it makes while flanking an enemy, or to an ability check made to grapple, shove, or to resist a grapple or shove or to escape a grapple.
  • Inspiring Aura: Once per round, each ally in the aura can add one of your leadership dice to a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check.
  • Motivating Aura: Allies in the aura can’t be charmed or frightened.
  • Opportunistic Aura: Once per round, each ally in the aura can make an opportunity attack without using its reaction.
  • Watchful Eye Aura: Once per round, each ally in the aura can add one of your leadership dice to an Intelligence or Wisdom check, or to a Dexterity save.
HEROIC INSPIRATION: Beginning at 6th level, when an ally in range of your aura makes an Int, Wis, or Cha check and rolls a 3 or less on the d20, it rerolls the check until the die comes up a 4 or higher. You need not have an active aura or any uses of your aura remaining for this feature to function.

EXTEND AURA: Once you reach 10th level, your warlord auras extend 60’.

GREATER AURA: Starting at 15th level, when you activate an aura, you may choose to use one of the following auras as well as one of your marshal’s auras.
  • Aura of Hardiness: Once per round, when it takes damage, each ally in the aura can reduce the damage it takes by an amount equal to the roll of one of your leadership dice. You can use your reaction to instead reduce the damage it takes by the roll of your leadership dice pool, but doing so depletes your pool by one die.
  • Aura of Perseverance: Allies in the aura can’t be stunned and gain advantage on Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom saving throws.
  • Aura of Swiftness: Once per round, each ally in the aura can use its reaction at the end of any creature’s turn to move its speed. You can use your reaction to increase the creature’s speed for that movement by the roll your leadership dice, but doing so depletes your pool by one die.
  • Deadly Aura: Your allies in the aura expand their critical range by one (typically scoring a critical hit on a 19-20). If an ally in the aura scores a critical hit, it increases the damage and the critical severity each by the roll of one of your leadership dice. You can use your reaction to instead increase the damage by the roll of your leadership dice, but doing so depletes your leadership dice pool by one die.
  • Energizing Aura: When an ally starts its turn in the aura, it gains temporary hit points equal to the roll of one of your leadership dice. You can use your reaction to instead grant the ally temporary hit points equal to the roll of your leadership dice pool, but doing so depletes your pool by one die.
REFRESHING AURA: Beginning at 20th level, when you roll for initiative, if you have no remaining uses of your aura, you regain one use of your aura.

the Jester

Legend
All right, here's my last subclass (for the first draft)- the White Raven.

WHITE RAVEN
Originally, the White Ravens were a noble house that founded a school of military tactics. After the noble house died out, the school remained. Even after the school passed out of history, the tactics and the school of thought taught there continued to be practiced by groups of soldiers, mercenaries, and even occasional bands of bandits or brigands. The White Ravens practice a method of leadership that focuses on maneuver, formation advance, and taking advantage of momentary lapses in the attention of adversaries. A White Raven can use either Intelligence or Charisma in directing his or her allies, and often but not always leads from the front.
WHITE RAVEN ADVANCE: Starting at 3rd level, when you or an ally you can see within 60’ hits a creature with a weapon attack, you can allow each willing ally that can see both you and the creature that was hit to move 10’ directly toward the hit creature without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence or Charisma bonus, then must complete a short or long rest before using it again.
REACH NEW HEIGHTS: At 6th level, you learn to enable your allies to reach new heights with their skills or tools. By urging your allies on, you can cajole them into exceeding their normal capacity. As an action, you can choose one willing ally that can hear or see you within 60’ and a skill or tool that it is proficient in. You deplete your leadership dice pool by one die, and for 10 minutes, that ally gains expertise in that skill or tool.
WHITE RAVEN STRIKE: At 10th level, when you or an ally you can see within 60’ hits a creature with a weapon attack, you can use your reaction to invigorate the attacks of allies that can see or hear you against that creature. Until the end of your next turn, attacks against that creature gain advantage. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence or Charisma bonus, then must complete a long rest before using it again.
WHITE RAVEN MANEUVER: Beginning at 15th level, you can use an action to enable each ally you can see within 90’ that can see or hear you to move its speed. If you deplete your leadership dice pool by one die, those movements don’t provoke opportunity attacks.
WHITE RAVEN ONSLAUGHT: At 20th level, you can designate a target for your allies to attack. As a bonus action, you choose a target you can see within 120’. Each ally within 90’ that can see or hear you can join the onslaught, which lasts for 1 minute. Once per round when the target is hit by a weapon attack, each creature that joined the onslaught can move 10’ without provoking opportunity attacks, as long as it ends that movement closer to the target than it began.

the Jester

Legend
One final touch: the last ribbon ability for the base warlord, gained at lvl 9:

TACTICAL ACUMEN: Beginning at 9th level, when you make a Dex check or save, you can use your Intelligence bonus in place of your normal ability bonus. In addition, when you make a Wis check or save, you can use your Charisma bonus in place of your normal ability bonus.

Now I need to review everything, and I (probably) have a version 0.1 ready! On to playtesting!

Question, are those movement maneuvers that rely on a die roll to set their movement still part of the class? Because that has some issues. Mostly that I'm not sure how to deal with rolls that aren't a multiple of 5.

the Jester

Legend
Question, are those movement maneuvers that rely on a die roll to set their movement still part of the class? Because that has some issues. Mostly that I'm not sure how to deal with rolls that aren't a multiple of 5.
Yes.

While I often use a battlemap, I don't tie things to the grid or to squares. I'm fine with a creature moving halfway into a square or in non-straight/45 degree angle directions. I guess if you are putting the grid forward in your gameplay, where you tie locations to squares and the like, you'd have to do some rounding; I'd probably specify a minimum of one square in such cases.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am hunting for a Warlord with an ability comparable to this ability
1609716293003.png

Remove ads