World Building and Wilderness Travel

Over the past couple of years I have dabbles with campaign building, hex-crawl, and wilderness travel. Along the way I have found lost of great resources like Inspiration Pad Pro, Bits of Wilderness, Hex-Mapper, Netbooks of Random Stuff... and many more.

Oh. yes, this little known forum called EnWorld or something....

Anyway,
reading the list of upcoming material I see that the World Building and Wilderness books are in the queue. This is of interest to me because after an exhaustive search for an easy way to lay a hex grid over a map image, I gave up and am coding my own windows based program.

Which led me down the path of 'what else could this little program of mine do?

Since I am preparing to run an OLD campaign, I thought I might as well build in some of the OLD mechanics like weather generation, travel issues, etc....

Has there been changes in the wilderness travel section since playtest?

And does anyone have a neat set of icons for terrain features?

And finally, does anyone know of a tool that already does this before I get too far down this road?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The wilderness travel system is the same as the space travel system in Space, though with different skills, roles, and so on. Instead of navigator, pilot, engineer, etc., you have guide, hunter, and so on.

Laying a grid over an existing map image can be done with a lot of graphics applications using two files and transparency.

I use Hexographer for a lot of my homebrew mapping. There's a free browser-based version.

Okay, I will check that out.

Re the hex-grid.. I am not a graphics sort of person. I just want to open an image file, adjust the size of the hex overlay.. and hit save.

Remove ads