D&D 5E World-Building DMs

hawkeyefan

Legend
in your darksun game can I play a hafling from the moon? or one that landed his space ship when you thought it was a meter?

A halfling crashing on Athas in a Spelljammer would be fine, I'd say. I don't recall if Athas had a moon or not, but I don't see why that couldn't be allowed.

Now, if you wanted to have a traditional spaceship and have laser guns and all that stuff, then I'd probably say no. But that would be true of almost any setting, barring such technology actually being the point of the adventure/campaign, such as Keep on the Borderlands or Iron Gods.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I did a spit-take.

I have played Keep on the Borderlands, oh, a dozen times. I have DMd it even more. What is this "technology" you speak of? Crossbow technology?

Do you mean Barrier Peaks?

Hah whoops. Yup, I meant Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I always mix those two names up. Thanks for catching that.

Greg K

Legend
A halfling crashing on Athas in a Spelljammer would be fine, I'd say. I don't recall if Athas had a moon or not, but I don't see why that couldn't be allowed.

It depends upon which edition. The original boxed set had Dark Sun was cut off from the rest of the D&D multiverse. It had its own cosmology and was inaccessible by Spelljammers. I don't recall if this changed with later editions.
However, in the revised edition for 2e, a halfling crashing on Athas might have become plausible as there were plans for three halflings to have crashed on Athas while travelling on The Messenger comet, a halfling spaceship. Thankfully, in my opinion, it was never actually published (although, a few Gencon DMs supposedly received copies). It would have been another example of what many people (myself included) felt ruined Dark Sun with the revised edition that began with Slavicsek bringing the novels into the boxed set as official continuity and just getting worse with products like Mind Lords of the Last Sea and Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs.

Greg K

Legend
Isn't Darksun heavily inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom? "Merriadoc Brandybuck of Mars" sounds like a perfectly acceptable character concept.

Possibly inspired in parts (I have read elsewhere that dark Planetary Romance and the Dying Earth subgenre were influences. However, Steve Winter's inspiration drew partly from DEN comics by Richard Corben and the fiction of Clark Ashton Smith. Winter also suggested the idea of a desert landscape.

Now, if you wanted to have a traditional spaceship and have laser guns and all that stuff, then I'd probably say no. But that would be true of almost any setting, barring such technology actually being the point of the adventure/campaign, such as Keep on the Borderlands or Iron Gods.

no really there is a story called the greening and the part that matters is that there are these old spell casting hafling living in space (I can't remember if it was only the messenger or if it was the moon too)

It depends upon which edition. The original boxed set had Dark Sun was cut off from the rest of the D&D multiverse. It had its own cosmology and was inaccessible by Spelljammers. I don't recall if this changed with later editions.
However, in the revised edition for 2e, a halfling crashing on Athas might have become plausible as there were plans for three halflings to have crashed on Athas while travelling on The Messenger comet, a halfling spaceship. Thankfully, in my opinion, it was never actually published (although, a few Gencon DMs supposedly received copies). It would have been another example of what many people (myself included) felt ruined Dark Sun with the revised edition that began with Slavicsek bringing the novels into the boxed set as official continuity and just getting worse with products like Mind Lords of the Last Sea and Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs.

yes, that was what I was referencing..

Remove ads