• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World building resources?

Derfmancher

First Post
Since there are so many long time vets of all flavors of role playing, and all editions, I am curious what you all recommend in terms of learning to build a world. I am indeed considering building a world for my group (although I am not currently GMing). Since I am a player and not a GM at the moment, there is a lot of time to work with. If it matters, the rules of choice will be Pathfinder. However in terms of world creation I thought it best to solicit favorites from everyone that knows the game at hand.

So, any super awesome resources for world building out there? Additionally, any tips? Things you learned while building a campaign world that you wish you knew when you started? Thanks for anything you share!

Razjah

Explorer
If you have the Adventure Burner for Burning Wheel, the setting building information there is really good. I've used it for Pathfinder games and Savage Worlds games.

Pathfinder's Game Mastery Guide is pretty good for GM advice and it has a bunch of questions to help facilitate world building.

The World section here by Rich Burlew is really interesting.

nijineko

Explorer
there was a particular supplement for the old rolemaster system that was one of the best written breakdowns of the things to consider when building a world from the bottom up. i can't recall the exact name anymore.

I tend to start wherever the adventure starts and build out as necessary. So if the party never goes to the Hooty Howly Woods, there's no reason to tell them about it.

When my wife made her map for her world, she got a huge piece of graph paper and a d8. She rolled to see how the coastline for each landmass went. I'm sure that's more nitty gritty than you were looking for, but its a neat way to do it and I felt like sharing.

Nellisir

Hero
Practice.

Put in everything fun, take out everything boring, and when you've forgotten something, think of something new, or get bored, do it again.

Remove ads