World of Design: The Lost Art of Making Things Up

In a previous article I shared differences between entertainment media and how it feels imagination is less often required of people today. What changed?

ideas.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

The most important thing that we've ever learned--the most important thing we've learned as far as children are concerned--is never, never let them near a television set, or better still just don't install the idiotic thing at all. It rots the senses in the head. It kills imagination dead. It clogs and clutters up the mind. It makes a child so dull and blind. He can no longer understand a fairy tale in fairyland. His brain becomes as soft as cheese. His thinking powers rust and freeze. He cannot think he only sees! –Mike Teavee, by Danny Elfman, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

With most forms of entertainment you need to use your imagination because there are things missing that you have to add in. Games are part of that. You need to imagine things that aren't actually there. How much imagination you need depends on what kind of entertainment.

“A Fairytale in Fairyland”

Let's differentiate imaginative play from an unfettered imagination, which is wild imagining separated from reality, with imagination in the service of problem-solving or real-world entertainment. This kind of thinking is something we learn early as children but society gradually becomes considered “daydreaming” as adults, a negative connotation. As such, an unfettered imagination tends to be the domain of children who have more time and freedom to imagine. But even in childhood play, things are changing.

“It Clogs and Clutters up the Mind”

For example, with video games much less imagination is required than with tabletop games, because the video game can show so much more (now with photo-realism). There's a tendency these days to expect games and life in general to be highly attractive. We expect movies to be extravaganzas with lots of computer-generated special effects. We can even make a young Arnold Schwarzenegger as in Terminator Genesys.

These are all aids to imagination. As a result, imagination is no longer required nearly as much in play as it was before, due in no small part because of corporate branding. Kids don't just get a set of race cars and have to imagine the rest. Instead they get cars from the movie Cars, or go-karts from Mario Kart, and so forth.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an example of the power of imagination. Originally it was a radio program in Britain, which I happened to hear when I was living there in the late 70s. Then it was brought to TV (same actors), then it was a book, then a series of books, then a radio program again, and then a movie, and somewhere in there I suspect there were video games as well. I've always thought the original radio program was more entertaining than the movie or even than the books.

As the history of Dungeons & Dragons has demonstrated, there’s money to be made in creating content. In the past, it was expected that tabletop board games have lots of attractive artwork and bits, often miniatures. The less multimedia a game has, the more imagination required. This is in part a shift for Fifth Edition, which placed “theater of the mind” as a viable playstyle that involves descriptions only and no board or miniatures. Theater of the mind eschews props, but they can easily become a substitute for imaginative descriptions. For example, I rarely use miniatures (but do use a board and pieces); yet many people won't play without them.

“He Cannot Think He Only Sees”

When we stop using our imagination, we are no longer “thinking” but only “seeing” – processing information instead of creating it. In comparison, it seems to me that imagination is used less in gaming than it used to. The sandbox style of play in D&D is very much associated with the old school renaissance (OSR) and thereby older adults. But perhaps it’s just shifted online. Children play Minecraft and Roblox, worlds in which players are encouraged to create something from nothing.

The tension behind open world video games is that it costs money to create them. Emergent play by playing in a sandbox-style world is risky; players may have an amazing experience by interacting with randomly generated monsters and other players, or they may find it boring and quit. Given the upfront investments in these types of games, it’s critical that they have a means of getting players to keep paying and coming back for more. One way is to brand them, which is why corporations want to create branded worlds that have a unique intellectual property. In video games, subscriptions are one means of guaranteeing repeat play and therefore access to the imaginative world.

In tabletop games, designers can try to help player imagination but the ultimate decisions about a designer’s work are with the publisher, not the designer. Because aids cost money. Of course if the designer self-publishes then the designer decides how to spend money in order to get aids to imagination. Since tabletop publishers can’t “turn off” your imaginative play, they can instead produce pieces of a world that you must buy one book at a time, or explore one adventure at a time ("modules").

Modules often provide player maps and other visual aids. The popularity of modules can even be argued as a failure of GM imagination. To be fair, it's also a matter of convenience in a world that poses a great many calls on one's time. Even if you do buy an adventure, the imagination of the DM and players is still required. No two games run from the same published adventure are alike.

In my opinion, the ability to use imagination has atrophied from lack of use due to changes in media. Can we do anything to change it as individual game designers? Probably not. The best we can do is keep producing and hope that tabletop games continue to offer something no other medium can provide: unfettered imagination.

Your turn: Do you see a difference in how gamers today use their imagination in tabletop play?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

hawkeyefan

Legend
I suppose that it depends if you look at elements of gaming as being replacements for imagination, or facilitators of it. I think there's a valid point to the idea that the more that is done for the audience or participants, the less they need to imagine on their own. But I don't know if it's really all that bad a thing.

Also, what about when a player is struggling to imagine what is being conveyed? A visual tool like a map or miniature or something similar can actually help them. I don't think we can assume imagination is always this unbridled thing that has no limits and needs no encouragement.

And I also think the nature of the specific media or game is a big factor as well. To lean on your example, something like Minecraft seems to be much more of a prompt to the imagination than an inhibitor of it. Other video games would be quite the opposite. I don't think we can paint them all with one brush.

I think that with RPGs, this is a shifting landscape. Especially with the increase in online play and use of online tools during the pandemic. But I also think that there has been a significant shift by some games to change the mode of play and how the fiction is established which is placing more need on a player to use their imagination to help craft the world and its elements, rather than relying on just the GM to present these to them.

While I think media plays a large part in things being 'imagined for us' - without opening a bee's nest too much, when something is presented in games/movies/tv, there's often an outcry about the depiction being 'wrong', for example the way the Jedi have evolved in media since 1977 - I think also we have a difference in the world.

In addition to downplaying active creativity, I think we can tie it into a change in education. We're not taught critical thinking, which could be useful for coming up with alternate-history settings for gaming and 'what-ifs' for example. The typical gamer also, I would say by and large, is no longer the white male who grew up reading Howard and Lovecraft and Vance from age 7 and moved into wargaming; I would say gamers are much more diverse in every aspect and every cultural exposure.

TLDR - I think that it isn't just imagination that is atrophying, but also critical thinking, while also increasing the chance people may think others are having 'wrongfun'. YMMV

Zsong

Explorer
To be honest with you that’s why I don’t like art in rpg books. I don’t like then cementing the way the world looks. I like to paint the picture in my mind based on the text. I don’t like the the forced imagery of the graphics defining a setting. It’s just wrong for me. And I apologize to many of the great d&d artists for feeling that way. They are good and talented people.

I suppose that it depends if you look at elements of gaming as being replacements for imagination, or facilitators of it. I think there's a valid point to the idea that the more that is done for the audience or participants, the less they need to imagine on their own. But I don't know if it's really all that bad a thing.

Also, what about when a player is struggling to imagine what is being conveyed? A visual tool like a map or miniature or something similar can actually help them. I don't think we can assume imagination is always this unbridled thing that has no limits and needs no encouragement.

And I also think the nature of the specific media or game is a big factor as well. To lean on your example, something like Minecraft seems to be much more of a prompt to the imagination than an inhibitor of it. Other video games would be quite the opposite. I don't think we can paint them all with one brush.

I think that with RPGs, this is a shifting landscape. Especially with the increase in online play and use of online tools during the pandemic. But I also think that there has been a significant shift by some games to change the mode of play and how the fiction is established which is placing more need on a player to use their imagination to help craft the world and its elements, rather than relying on just the GM to present these to them.
I think you're right with online play and other online tools. Even with Facebook messenger, in my local gaming group, it's easy to pull up a picture that is evocative of what an NPC looks like, or might be 'cast' as, to show what a particular tower may look like, etc.

To be honest with you that’s why I don’t like art in rpg books. I don’t like then cementing the way the world looks. I like to paint the picture in my mind based on the text. I don’t like the the forced imagery of the graphics defining a setting. It’s just wrong for me. And I apologize to many of the great d&d artists for feeling that way. They are good and talented people.
I agree. In much the same way that dwarves are all Scottish, or tend to be portrayed that way. Once that took hold, for a lot of people, they have trouble with a dwarf who's not a Scottish stereotype.

jasper

Rotten DM
Psst as one old fart to another old fart. Play with young people who are not kinfolk. Only the heroes and character rip-offs have changed. So instead Drizzt, etc, young people are pulling from their media, like we did from our media.
I am the third oldest in my gaming groups. See some of my game write ups for the imagination coming from the younger people. \
Now could one you younger people rake the OP lawn and get him his reading glasses. (evil grin.)
As to you playing with cars mumbling, Gee a race track from 1960, using 1960 cars.

Attachments

• racecar.jpg
    racecar.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 291

Dire Bare

Legend
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is an example of the power of imagination. Originally it was a radio program in Britain, which I happened to hear when I was living there in the late 70s. Then it was brought to TV (same actors), then it was a book, then a series of books, then a radio program again, and then a movie, and somewhere in there I suspect there were video games as well. I've always thought the original radio program was more entertaining than the movie or even than the books.
Huh. I had always thought the book came first . . . and was even ready to reply with a "WRONG!", but thankfully decided to do a quick Google-check and you are RIGHT! Which of course, you already knew that. Interesting.

My first exposure to Hitchhiker's was definitely the novel . . . ah, good times!

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I'm not concerned all too much with other people's imagination. Maybe people spend more time being entertained than entertaining themselves idk. But at the same time, there has never been more role playing games being made. More people are putting their imagination to work and producing a product.

The only problem I see is that there is a glut of IP RPGs and theme mash ups which attempt to make something new, artificially, by smacking together two well worn tropes. But the direction of games being produced bothers me very little. There are decades worth of old games to play as well as little pockets of our hobbie, peoples blogs and podcasts, that produce new ideas. I just bought the d20 Fading Suns book for instance. I had never even heard of it.

When I was a kid, me and my friends would run around imagining ourselves as the x-men, voltron, or ninja turtles. Now kids do the same thing based around video games or youtubers. Its hardly different. Just as my parents didn't understand why I was pretending I had six inch blades coming out of my knuckles, I don't understand a kid babbling about...whatever it is they are talking about (I really don't understand what they are talking about. Roblox? What is that? idk/idc)

If I'm not mistaken, Gygax himself was an advocate for people creating their own worlds but the fact that AD&D produced all the settings we still know and use today seems to say to me that there has always been a great need for guides for peoples creativity.

Huh. I had always thought the book came first . . . and was even ready to reply with a "WRONG!", but thankfully decided to do a quick Google-check and you are RIGHT! Which of course, you already knew that. Interesting.

My first exposure to Hitchhiker's was definitely the novel . . . ah, good times!
Some friends and I went to the theatre to see a Hitchhikers play, and afterwards they started complaining about how the play had changed some of the plot of the book.

I had to explain to them that the play was based on the script of the radio play, which predated the book. Although, give that each version (radio play, TV series, book, movie) is different anyway, it did seem like a strange thing to complain about!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases