Knightfall's World of Kulan Campaign Maps (Updated: July 2022)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NEW MAP: Greystone Mountains Region

Ok, this is one I've wanted to do for some time, but I was intimidated by the sheer number of hill-like terrian in the region. Thus, I continued to work around it for over a year.

Today I tackled those hills!

Of course, as its name indicates, this region is dominated by the Greystone Mountains. This expansive range of mountains is 90% dwarven. In ages past it use to be 99.5% dwarven.

Now, competition from humanoids has severely depleted the resources of the Kingdom of the Greystones, the domiant dwarven kingdom on Harqual. The High Thane of the Kingdom of the Greystones has begun to restrict access to their underground cities much to the chagrin of those who would do business with the dwarven kingdom.

This region also show the heart of many barbarian tribes on Harqual, the Twilight Valley. This huge valley has always been dominated by barbarians and the valley has a thriving, if not somewhat crude, civilization. Outsiders are rarely welcome, unless they are a proven friend/ally of a Twilight barbarian.

Cheers!

KF

Greystone Mountains Region.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Twilight Lands Region (Revised Map)

TWILIGHT LANDS REGION
While the Twilight Valley, itself, has always been dominated by the followers of the North Gods, much of the surrounding hills and mountains are controled by the elves of the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves (south), the dwarves of the Kingdom of the Greystones (east) the orcs of the Verge Tribes (north), and the fallen clansmen of the Broken Clans (west).

The orcs of the Verge Mountains and the barbarians of the Broken Hills are aliies, but they weren't always. Once the barbarians of the Broken Clans used to be followers of the North Gods and allies of the barbarians of the Twilight Valley. They fell from grace during the First Ogre War and turned on their former allies. Note: This alliance has resulted in a lot of half-orcs amongst the barbarians of the Broken Clans (some half-ogres too).

The dwarves and elves often fight alongside the barbarians of the Twilight Valley against the orcs and their allies, and hill dwarves and elves (silver 'wilds', mainly) live amongst the Twilight Tribes as well as icefoot halflings. Therefore, this region is known for having a lot of half-elves and even a few half-dwarves, which are known as muls.

Cheers!

KF

Twilight Lands Region.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This map is my overview of the CONTINENT OF TRIADORA. I've finally added all the basic terrain feature onto the overview. Now, I can either do some up close screen captures or make close-up CC2 maps of the continent. However, since I haven't done any "real" close-up CC2 maps of any of my other continents besides Harqual, I'll likely end up doing some screen captures. :)

Cheers!

KF

Triadora Overview.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
World Overview Map of Kulan

Okay, I've changed my main WORLD OF KULAN map. I fixed a few scaling issues with some of the isalnds I place on the map plus made sure everything messed well together.

I've decided that I like Destan's Valus Campaign Sourcebook enough to include Valus on World of Kulan. I'm thinking they would fit best in the North Sea between the Lands of Harqual and the Continent of Kanpur, with The Fallenlands to the south. Thus, the notation with the question mark.

Plus, I've given the three subcontinents of the Continent of Kanpur official names. The Dark Continent, the Empire Continent, and the Northern Continent. Gwyrdhyn and the region known as the Crowded Sea are isolated enough from the rest of of the continent to also have their own names put on this map.

I've, now clearly marked the islands known as Merria and the Isles of Valossa as well, and those two regions are major regions on Kulan.

Three new names have been added to this map - the island chain northwest of the Continent of Janardun is now called Ryaith, which means "Jadehome" in the language of the elves; there is now a group of related islands in the Wakuna Sea, southeast of Harqual, which I've simple called the Wakuna Islands, for now; and finally there are the Vol Isles,which run from Triadora to near the shores of the Empire Continent. These are all minor regions that have a considerable connection to the mainlands. There isn't a strong unifying force for these lands, although the elves of Ryaith do feel a kinship to each other.

Cheers!

KF

Kulan with regional names.jpg

Last edited:

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
this is a great thread, knightfall. i especially love the most recent (world) map - though im not sure if one of your other uploads already had it. i was wondering if you have a web site with all the maps? also, i cant read the scale (at least on the world map) - could you tell me what it is? i have thought of dropping valus into eberron but i think id have to change the scale, and also am not sure if the climate would mesh. have you given any thought to those issues? thanks!

the hotlanta manta,
W.P.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wisdom Penalty said:
this is a great thread, knightfall. i especially love the most recent (world) map - though im not sure if one of your other uploads already had it. i was wondering if you have a web site with all the maps? also, i cant read the scale (at least on the world map) - could you tell me what it is? i have thought of dropping valus into eberron but i think id have to change the scale, and also am not sure if the climate would mesh. have you given any thought to those issues? thanks!

the hotlanta manta,
W.P.

I did have another upload of this map, but I changed that one to be without regional names. I don't have my maps on my website, but I do have them on my World of Kulan Yahoo Group. However, the maps there, in the photos section, are smaller as I want to save space in the files section for campaign material.

The scale on the World of Kulan map goes up by 250 miles for each increment. Thus the total miles on the scale bar is 2000 miles. Thus, World of Kulan's circumference is "roughly" 22,000 miles. (I didn't measure exactly so, I can't say for certain the "exact" circumference.) This means, Kulan is slightly smaller than Earth (24,902 mi.), but I'm not sure by how much.

Valus, to me, seems like it would fit best into a temperate to subarctic climate. I've thought of scale a bit but will likely pester Desten for more info, once I get deeper into reading the Valus book. :D

Cheers!

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Temple of Dark Desire

This map was lost during the crash. This decadent, evil temple is dedicated to both the Interloper Goddess known as Loviatar and the World God known as Karaan.

The temple is located underground somewhere beneath the lands of the Ara-Ragik City Alliance. How and why these two deities followers became allied to each other is unknown. What is known is that the combined might of their dark priests/preistesses is said to rival that of those of a priest of a Greater God.

For game purposes, priests and priestesses of either deity, from this temple only, can choose any three domains off both deity domain lists, combined. This includes the following domains: Apathy, Bestial, Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Pain, Moon, and Suffering. The Cult of the Dark Desire is considered a heretical sect, by both their churches.

Cheers!

KF

Temple of Dark Desire.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Welcome to Cauldron, World of Kulan Style!

Ok, I'm definitely going to run the DUNGEON Magazine Adventure Path, once I can get some players, and have already decided where to put it in the Lands of Harqual. But in order to get most of the locations on the Cauldron map in DUNGEON onto a custom regional map for on Harqual, I needed to go smaller then the standard size I use. This map, simply called Around Cauldron, is at the same scale that I did for the Qualitian Belt.

The map shows more than just the Dominion of Cauldron though. It has also has the Barony of Calot and locales of the Independent Domain of Anoria, the Duchy of Minar, and the Verdalf Forest on it as well. I've also added another ruin at this level, besides Shatterhorn, called The Sundered Citadel. This ruin is where a magical, flying fortress crashed into the earth over 800 years ago. The impact raised the land around it, as well as defiling the vegetation. Over the years a sparse copse of twisted trees grew up around the ruin. Now, only the very brave or very foolish enter "the hilly copse of death".

Cheers!

KF

Around Cauldron.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Around Fruen (Revised Map)

AROUND FRUEN: Okay, so since I've been doing my "extreme closeup" maps, I've felt the need to make all the maps at this level look the same. Now, unfortunately this map was done with the symbols at .2 instead of the .25 I did Around Cauldron.

Thus, I've left the symbols at the same size and simply given names to everything on the map. I had planned to leave it more open-ended but that didn't last long.

One of the main places of note is Stanzfeld Mansion, located in a low valley in center of the Hills of Davas. This "manor" is owned and operated by a group that called themselves the Fallow's Cross Adventurers. The name comes from the name of the Town of Fallow's Cross, which is further west, beyond the edge of this map. I borrowed, with permission, the concept of Fallow's Cross from an old 2E website dedicated to the Forgotten Realms. Thus, both Stanzfeld Mansion and the Hamlet of Stanzfeld, also detailed on that site, were 'ported over to Kulan.

Another important place on this map is the Wilder Inn. So named for its location in the wilderness, just beyond the verdent farmlands of the east and the protective reach of the City of Rivenwood to the west. The Wilder Inn is the last stop along the road before braving the lands between Two Bridges and the City of Rivenwood. (Two Bridges is what the farmers and woodsmen call this region, although there isn't any physical hamlet or village in the area with that name.)

The last place I'm going to delve into is the building known as Spirit House. Named for the haunted gorge known as Spirit Rift, this building is said to be haunted but still is used by the local lord knight to watch over the lands and communities in this area. It is said that the knight and his family's dreams are troubled and that the kinght's son often wakes up screaming in the middle of the night.

Cheers!

KF

Around Fruen.jpg

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NEW MAP: Around Stonn City

Okay, here's the next of my "extreme closeup" maps. This one shows the lands surrounding Stonn City, which is the capital city of the Kingdom of Stonn (naturally). Stonn, the kingdom, has a very lawful society and most outsdiers say it is strict beyond reason. However, the citizens of Stonn also have more security than more countries and city-states.

Note: The Kingdom of Stonn is a very large kingdom and I've never been able to put it all on one map to my liking.

This map shows the heart and soul of the kingdom. This area is where most of the true power comes from. Other cities, towns, and fortresses beyond this area tend to be fairly autonomous. However, with the Kingdom of Thallin in a state of civil war the kingdom's mysterious queen, Emilia the Cane, has begun to strength the influence of Stonn City over these distant communites.

However, not all the communities in this area pay homage to the Queen of Stonn. The dwarven/human dominant Town of Relukk bought its independance from the queen centuries ago in return for a seady supply of iron, silver and carbon from the Mines of Relukk. Also, the elven communities of the Saln Woods consider themselves independant and resist all attempts by the Queen to bring them into the kingdom. (She considers the woods to be "Stonn" territory.)

Two other places, on this map, need mention.

First, the City of Aarlan. This city is one of the few cities of the Eastern Shores without a wall. The city is regarded as one of the most beautiful human-dominated cities of the Eastern Shores. Only the capital city of the Kingdom of Navirosov, known as Magdalene, is said to be more inspiring. The City of Aarlan is also notable for the secret society that is said to call the city home, the Sisters of the Way. It is not the society's name that is secret, just its members and purpose.

Second, the structure known as Bantam House. Bantam House is a inn of sorts for small folk. Halflings, kitts, buckawns, and fremlins are common visitors to Bantam House, as well as the occasional dwarven runt. The inn even has had a star gnome visit once, while his spelljammer was being fixed. Those tall folk that would like to visit here better have a potion of reduce or they'll never get inside the front door. The building is sized for small folk and is built into the ground like a hairfoot dwelling.

Cheers!

KF

Around Stonn City.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads