World setting, and your upcoming plans...

catsclaw227

First Post
SandS_James said:
And it's mostly playtesting anyway.
Does this mean there might be a 4e Scarred Lands on the horizon? And does SandS in your name imply that you are part of the Sword & Sorcery imprint that produced the Scarred Lands?

SandS_James

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Does this mean there might be a 4e Scarred Lands on the horizon? And does SandS in your name imply that you are part of the Sword & Sorcery imprint that produced the Scarred Lands?

Yeah, it implies that. :)

catsclaw227

First Post
SandS_James said:
Yeah, it implies that. :)
And here I was, planning on using either Scarred Lands or the Wilderlands for my PoL setting. :)

You are right about the Scarred Lands being prime for PoL. I am really hoping that it gets some 4e official support because I may do this as well. Can you reveal what you have done so far to advance the timeline a bit?

Syrio

First Post
I've been working on a homebrew setting for quite some time now. It was meant to be a "3.x with lots of house rules" world but last summer a friend of mine told me "Are you aware that next year we'll have 4e?" and slowly I started feeling I was wasting a lot of time in changing and adapting rules which I probably would never need anymore.

Unless something happens in the next few months that makes me change my mind, I'll be using some of the material from the core books in my campaign world and the largest part of my actual work is about figuring out how to introduce material from the core books in the setting with little effort.

I'm pretty sure I'll use all the 8 PHB1 classes and I hope there will be some info about the other 3e core classes sooner or later, mainly the Druid, Barbarian and Sorcerer.
Since I'm not a big fan of the Elf/Dwarf/Halfobbit "standard", and the "new" core 4e races don't fit quite much my setting, there's a 99,99% chance of not seeing any one of them in my campaign. The majority of the PCs (at least in the region I wish to start the campaign from) will be Humans, which will probably be able to take special "civilization" feats similar in concept and purpose to the racial feats we have seen in the 4e previews. That doesn't mean no non-human races, i've half a dozen existing fluff-wise ready to get some 4e to crunch, and some others waiting at the door to see if I can use existing material for them (namely Goblins, Ogres and Changelings).

I'm also certain I will use the PoL concept, since my world will be completely covered by jungle, with only some sparse city state/small kingdom here and there. Probably I'll use the planes without changing so much 'cause I like the new cosmology. The "new" planes are all there, only each has a different role and different connections with the others than in the books. Had some trouble in the pas weeks to find a place for the Feywild but I think I found a way not to exclude it totally.
Don't know how the gods/pantheon will fit in, but as with the other points, I'll take what I like, discard the rest and try to invent by myself what I need and couldn't find in the books.

What I need now are simple, solid, flavourful rules for Taint...

greyscale1

First Post
I always do homebrew settings (with the exception of our last game, which was in Ebberon) and they are usually pretty crazy like Fallen Seraphs. I mean this in an absolutely good way, these games are awesome!

Fallen Seraph, I actually ran a game that featured a 'god machine', It was essentially a construct sun that didn't move in the sky but had massive metal plates that moved around its sphere to block out light, imitating night and day cycles throughout the (flat) earth. The concept was pretty neat, and the I love the sound of your campaign! One suggestion - The surface of the god machine can make an amazingly fun, scary, and dynamic area to explore and fight on.

Well, my players and I have been playing 'out there' games for a while now, Ebberon being one of the most 'normal' and 'classic'. So I decided when planning my upcoming game that we were going to have a return to normality. That is - everyone is a young, good aligned character, and this is a nice refreshingly classic high fantasy heroes campaign.

Yay! A break from moral ambiguity! Sighs of relief! WELL NOT FOR LONG FOOLISH PLAYERS!

Once they get their fill of "ha ha, good heroes always win! Yay love and happiness" things are going to get a hell of a lot darker, as their young heroes are pitched against the forces of madness and have to make alliances with the evil they sought to destroy! HAHAHA EVIL DM HAHAHAAAA.

No but seriously, my players love me :D

Good luck with your nonstandard campaign.

Edit: Syrio, I think Taint rules will be even easier to impliment in 4e. One way could be power replacement rules similar to multiclassing, replacing whatever power with another, tainted power. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

mrtomsmith

First Post
I run a game for a group of high school kids from our (UU) church. So I want something fairly basic and traditionally D&D, but with a few twists. Homebrew based on PoL. Being teenagers, scheduling can be challenging, so I wanted a core group concept that would allow individuals to miss sessions without problems.

I've been writing up a one page world introduction for the players. Here's most of it:

Gods are real. Gods take part in daily life. You’ve probably met your god at some point in your life, or at least heard a message from them in your dreams. Smaller gods are always popping up and trying to impress people. Non-personified philosophies are also sources of power – atheists don’t believe in any gods, but they can still draw on divine power. Religion is a big deal to these people.

History: There were some big empires. They fell apart (think Rome). Elves had one a long time ago. Humans had one, but got corrupted by devils (thus creating the Tieflings). Nowadays, there are various small kingdoms separated by vast stretched of uncontrolled wild. There are scary things between cities: undead, dragons, evil orcs, giant creatures, underground beasties, and all sorts of monsters.

• Creek is a medium sized city that has recently united under a new religion.
o Many humans, clerics and paladins come from here. Belief.
• Rock is a rich magical floating city that stays above everyone else’s problems.
o Many Eladrin, Tieflings, atheists and magic types come from here. Elite.
• The Spire is a massive ancient vertical structure with a martial society living in it.
o Many dwarves and soldiers come from here. Discipline.
• The Wildlands are desert ‘controlled’ by various shady warbands of all types.
o Many dragonkin, dirty fighters and rogues come from here. Chaos.
• The Woods go on forever, getting more wild and magic the deeper you get.
o Many elves, nature lovers, and rangers come from here. Nature.

The players are all part of Ringle’s Circus, a traveling entertainment troupe that does circus acts in various towns throughout the lands. As such, you often stumble upon weird things. And you (the players) often fight those weird things and/or rescue normals.

You can define your own role and relation in the circus, but you need to be tied in some way. You can be a new recruit or a life-long carnie, but please agree to stay with the circus to make everyone’s life easier. I suggest you come up with a performance you can do that links to your abilities, but if you want to just clean up after other performers, you can do that, too.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Hmm I had a homebrew sketched out from the Worlds and monsters book, but some of the new information des not fit well with my ideas. I also want to allow space for Psionics, Nature and Shadow, and have all three fully integrated into my world. so it may be a generic setting for a while.

Druids and Psionics are so firmly integrated into my current world to that changing it would require major rewoking, and then reworking again when those sources are published.

JohnSnow

Hero
I've been casually working on a homebrew setting for years that dovetails nicely with the PoL conceit, and I'm actually looking at finally pulling it together for my 4E game. I was always planning to anchor it on using some towns and cities from published products to get me started, then filling in the details with some of my own.

Currently, it looks like I'll have settlements based (at least loosely) on:

- Fallcrest
- Winterhaven
- Saltmarsh (as presented in DMG II)
- Malador (from the Iron Heroes adventure Dark Harbor)
- Freeport (possibly)
- Sanctuary (from Green Ronin's Thieves' World supplement - possibly)

I've also got some towns and villages that were detailed in earlier edition supplements for both the Forgotten Realms and other settings that might make it into this campaign with a little bit of judicious "redressing." I've never been very good at drawing interesting town maps, so I tend to collect towns from published products.

I like the possibilities suggested by the PoL conceit. We'll see if it works as well as I expect when I start to tie things together.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I am going to use the default fluff.

Then I am going to, with the players, answer these questions:

The Big Picture
  • What's the Big Picture? What's going on in this setting that makes it ripe for adventure?
    What's changing, evolving, declining?
  • What's the world's culture? What are the cultural analogs? Analogs can be taken from
    historical earth, current events or fantasy works.
  • What's the conflict in which the characters are involved? What are the sides? What's
    wrong?
  • What physical place does this conflict take place in? What ecology, environment,
    location?
  • What's the name of the most important place in this setting? Not the capital or any dumb
    stuff like that, but The Place where all the action goes down?
  • What's the name of a faraway place that folks talk about, dream about or mutter under
    their breath about?
  • Here, we will create the characters, with an eye towards conflict.
  • Who are the antagonists? Who is opposing the goals of the characters?

Remove ads