World shattering events-That the PCs ignore

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I am sure a lot of DMs have wanted to do world shattering events, the kind of events that change the world as the PCs know it, and often involves saving it. Now, what to do if your PCs just say "meh" and go on their way after hearing the dommsday omen from some mysterious figure. Would it be fair to have them adventure for normal for a while, then have the event occur because the PCs did nothing to stop it?

Galeros said:
I am sure a lot of DMs have wanted to do world shattering events, the kind of events that change the world as the PCs know it, and often involves saving it. Now, what to do if your PCs just say "meh" and go on their way after hearing the dommsday omen from some mysterious figure. Would it be fair to have them adventure for normal for a while, then have the event occur because the PCs did nothing to stop it?

Yes, but I'd say drop some more clues anyway.

Giving out a certain doom prophecy and then not doing anything about it makes a campaign world look less "real". Though nothing really happens offscreen in a campaign world, the players need to feel like it does - that life goes on all around them, even in lands far away. That's what makes a campaign feel like a real place.

VirgilCaine

First Post
If the PCs ignore a doomsday prophecy in a world where these things are undeniably real...gee, they must be pretty bad roleplayers. I might even speed it up because of that.

Last edited:

painandgreed

First Post
As a DM and player I tend to stay away from the "you must save the world" senarios. "Ok, the world is about to end and the gods and the epic level kings are all sitting on their asses and it's up to my 3rd level character to save the day? Riiiight."

If they really are fated to save the world while other things are going on around them, then they will probably get more than one chance to pay attention. in fact, there is probably nothing they can do to stay uninvolved. The warnings and omens will get more and more obvious until there is no doubt as to what they are to do (Of course, it will be harder for them to do it at that point.) If they ignore the cryptic warnings and the desperate pleas, then the bad guys know they're the ones and will try and hunt them down forcing them to save the world to save themselves.

VirgilCaine

First Post
painandgreed said:
As a DM and player I tend to stay away from the "you must save the world" senarios. "Ok, the world is about to end and the gods and the epic level kings are all sitting on their asses and it's up to my 3rd level character to save the day? Riiiight."

I didn't think it was "you" more like "someone must do X to save the world."
I would NEVER have a prophecy that needed a specific person.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Crothian said:
Also, show that other people are trying to stop it...and failing.

Great idea! I may use it soon.

Back on topic, I've already done something like that in my campaign. In fact, the PCs didn't have any chance to stop it from happening. However, they have the ability to change the world for the better, after the fact.

Basically, we are in the Forgotten Realms. Meteors fell from the sky, striking all of Faerun and leaving destruction everywhere. The meteors were fragments of a second Slaad Spawning Stone, bringing hordes of Slaad to FR. In addition, each stone held within it a Tarrasque. Plus, the PCs released a high-level demonic sorceress, who promptly proceeded to open gates to the Abyss and started summoning demons.

Right now, the PCs are hanging around a city filled with refugees. They want to make forays to a nearby city infested with Slaad and demons, in order to fight and gain some "quick exp".

Chimera

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
I didn't think it was "you" more like "someone must do X to save the world."
I would NEVER have a prophecy that needed a specific person.

Still, same basic reaction, especially if "others are trying and failing". Why would our party stand a chance in this circumstance???

As a GM, I avoid these things like the railroading plague that they are. I use megaplots, but NEVER "one path, one small group, can stop this thing" plots.

If the party ignores the megaplot, they're going to get killed along with everyone else who gets caught in it.

If they're avoiding it because they don't know what to do, then it's time to pull out the Friend/Ally/Patron card. Not some random unknown joker who ropes them in out of the blue, but a friend or past acquaintence who asks if they can do certain tasks along the road to resolving the megaplot. They can always refuse. If the party is only interested in the side plots and minor actions, then the Ally who runs the show gets the glory. If the party shows interest in following the major plots and taking charge, then they will get an opportunity to run the show and get the glory.

OR....The problem is resolved by others. Period. And thus the party gets none of the glory. Heck, depending on their actions, they may gain a reputation as cowards or selfish jerks.

The Grackle

First Post
I'm gonna vote the other way.

If players don't bite on a plot-hook, forget it and cast another line. It probably just didn't sound fun to them, and forcing people to play un-fun scenarios usually doesn't work out.
It's hard, but I always drop my plans (that I worked so hard on!) if the players go off in some expected direction. I'll just salvage pieces of what I had planned to use against them later, but they'll never know that.

So some mysterious figure said some crap. What does he know? He was probably just exagerrating to sound cool. No problem. But the cool Temple of Death, you can bet they're gonna run into that thing no matter where they go. (I drew maps!)

Remove ads