Worlds of Design: A Time for Change

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and Silmarilion set a fashion for fictional civilizations lasting many millennia without much technological or social change. This worked for the literature, but rarely makes sense for games.

stone-age-2115390_1280.jpg

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

It is all a matter of time scale. An event that would be unthinkable in a hundred years may be inevitable in a hundred million.” Carl Sagan​

One of the things Tolkien did with Middle Earth has encouraged an unbelievable view of history as something that very slowly changes over millennia. Perhaps one reason was that in Middle Earth there were people who remembered the First Age. They were alive then, a consequence of the practical immortality of the elves (and some half-elves). If your world doesn’t have the continuity of immortality then barely-changing history stretching thousands of years makes even less sense.

What I’m trying to do is point out why these fictional civilizations that last for millennia don’t make sense. Why is this important? One word, immersion. People who know much about history will probably see your worlds very long history-without-much-change as unbelievable, thus destroying the immersion in the world that’s so important to engaging play. Though those who don’t know much history may not find it distracting at all.

Often, the very long histories are a form of self-indulgence, the writer writes what he wants even though it is hardly necessary to the game.

The funny thing is, it’s not necessary to have thousands of years of history to do what you want; a few hundreds of years will be just fine. What was our world like 500 years ago? The end of the Middle Ages, the recent discovery of the New World, the beginning of the end for Mesoamerican civilizations, China drawing back into isolation, the Ottoman Empire growing into Europe as it was no longer opposed by the no-longer-extant Byzantines, Russia still a benighted land fighting the Tartars, India dominated by Muslims, and so forth. Armies still included pikemen and others not yet armed with gunpowder weapons. The first circumnavigation of the world was being accomplished.

And that’s only 500 years ago.

Now if we go back 5,000 years there were nascent civilizations only in Mesopotamia and Egypt (China and Harappa (India) came later), and technological change was slow (though faster than we may think today because the changes were so fundamental, such as the development of writing). Iron-working had not yet been developed, bronze was very expensive, and horses were much too small to pull chariots, let alone to ride. When iron-working was developed it took many centuries to spread throughout the Old World.

Furthermore, a civilization with iron or steel armor and weapons, with well-developed ships, is not going to sit in stasis unless someone is deliberately trying to suppress change, as we see in some fantasy and science fiction stories (see David Weber’s Safehold series).

There are lots of reasons why civilizations cannot remain static - which is the primary way you’re likely to have histories thousands of years long, civilization in stasis. There are resource limitations: if you use iron for many centuries you’re going to use up easily accessible sources, and have to develop new technology to be able to continue to obtain iron ore. That’s true for many other resources, even renewable ones such as timber. If you irrigate land long enough (as in Mesopotamia), it begins to deteriorate from salt deposits. You can’t continue doing things the old way because the resources change.

And the longer your civilization goes on, the more you must change.

If you’re writing a separate setting, one that is not part of a particular game, then circumstances are somewhat different. There are so many supplements available, whether world settings or adventures, that you can’t really expect many people to use them directly in games even if they read them. In other words, many people are reading them for the story more than for their utility in a game. That’s compounded perhaps by the people whose RPGs are primarily storytelling machines and not opposed games. (There’s no possibility of failure.) Those folks are naturally going to read settings and adventures more as story than as game.

In these cases, indulging your storytelling bent at the expense of game makes perfect sense. So those long histories, if they are relevant to the stories, are no longer self-indulgence.

Rome (kingdom, republic, and empire) had a history approaching 1,000 years - more if you include another thousand for the Byzantine Empire that succeeded Rome, and called itself Roman. China has a history more than 2,000 years long. There were empires in Mesopotamia more than 4,000 years ago - but they were lost to memory until archaeologists excavated ancient mounds that turned out to have been great cities, that used fired-clay tablets to record information. A 3,000 year history is a very long time.

Of course, if YOU want to write thousands of years of history for your campaign or your RPG rules, that's your choice. It may help you create your game. But do you want to inflict all that history on the gamer? I enjoy history (that’s what my Ph.D. is in), but very long histories for games are not my preference. Your mileage may vary.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Hussar

Legend
I gotta admit, Mr. Pulsifer, this is one of the few times I've read what you've written and found myself nodding along the entire time. Totally agree here.

I've often wondered how much technology would increase if you added dragons and other creatures to the setting. The constant state of "war" with the orcs and hobgoblins alone would drive tech.

The intelligent giants invent gunpowder. What happens next?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
We've all had that one guy in our campaign, who goes to the butcher's shop, then the grocer's, then the miller's, then the dairy farmer's, and finally puts it all together and starts selling his "cheeseburger," expecting to be rolling in gold pieces very shortly since no one's ever done it before.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I'm not sure I buy the static vs. dynamic moment in history. If things had gone differently in the Middle Ages, it's quite plausible to think the Industrial Revolution wouldn't happen and 500 years of dynamism might well have skipped. We don't know and it's an interesting thing to play with in a campaign. Static society or dynamic one is IMO not crucial here and I think misses quite a bit about Tolkien's world, for example. It's quite clearly a post-apocalyptic world in decline when the War of the Ring happens. It's filled with ruins and a declining population, with society really declining after the fall of the Northern Kingdom and the Great Plague. (Also, as this video of Matt Colville's points out, in many ways, The Shire is the Garden of Eden, while Bree and the rest of the world represents having left Eden. He utterly denied that LotR was a crude allegory for World War II, which I do totally agree with, but a lot more of Tolkien is metaphor or allegory than even Tolkien himself liked to admit..)

I think a way to extend this is to focus on relevant verisimilitude. For instance, if the campaign is focusing on things from 1000 years before the time of the campaign arising, it's pretty important for the DM to have an idea of what happened then and how it's important to current events. It's not, however, important to have super-detailed history for the intermediate days that's not relevant to the campaign. No reason to drown the players (or the DM, for that matter) in that material.

In a lot of ways, Tolkien himself does focus on the relevant: There are certain really crucial moments in his narrative and that's got some detail---think the end of the Second Age, when the Last Alliance defeats Sauron in a Phyrric victory and Isildur took the Ring but failed to destroy it---while a lot of the rest is simply just a list of names.

Celebrim

Legend
I'm not sure I buy the static vs. dynamic moment in history. If things had gone differently in the Middle Ages, it's quite plausible to think the Industrial Revolution wouldn't happen and 500 years of dynamism might well have skipped.

Given that the high middle ages were already in an industrial revolution, it's possible to go the other way as well. If the black death hadn't destroyed the medieval world, then we might have seen an earlier industrial revolution taking place without or with far fewer social changes than occurred otherwise. So then you have an interesting question of how an industrial revolution might have, or might not have, forced social innovation on the medieval world.

In a lot of ways, Tolkien himself does focus on the relevant: There are certain really crucial moments in his narrative and that's got some detail---think the end of the Second Age, when the Last Alliance defeats Sauron in a Phyrric victory and Isildur took the Ring but failed to destroy it---while a lot of the rest is simply just a list of names.

True not only of his timelines but his maps as well. Tolkien hints in several places that there are far more villages and towns of people in those wildspaces on the map than he ever fills in, they just aren't important to the story.

Oryzarius

Strigiform Storyteller
Supporter
If the black death hadn't destroyed the medieval world, then we might have seen an earlier industrial revolution taking place without or with far fewer social changes than occurred otherwise.

Plenty of historians actually view the Black Death as one of the major set-up factors for the Renaissance.

Retreater

Legend
Consider that the Stone Age lasted over 6500 years (8700-2000 BCE), the European Bronze Age lasted 2600 years (3200-600 BCE), and the Iron Age also lasted close to 1000 years. This doesn't even take into account that period of prehistory when modern human behavior first appeared in Homo sapiens (50,000 years ago). So yes, civilizations can remain mostly unchanged for millennia. It's not unrealistic at all.

The one major difference between Earth history and most fantasy settings is the availability, and sometimes heavy proliferation, of magic. It's possible that, in a magic-heavy setting, that science and technological development might slow to a crawl. Sure, an alchemist could discover gunpowder eventually, but magic is basically the science of the world, so more effort would be put into it than hard chemistry. Magic can renew land, create water, and otherwise alter the environment in major ways. And, usually, without a lot of costs in resources, compared to changing it through technology. I read a comment somewhere once that, especially in things like healing, magic has it all over technology. "What you prefer? A triple coronary bypass operation or a Cure Disease spell?"

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases