Worlds of Design: Escaping Tolkien

In my previous article we discussed technological differences; this article focuses on cultural differences. Perhaps the cultural differences aren’t as clear in one’s awareness, but can be very important and just as far-reaching. Don’t underestimate culture!

In my previous article we discussed technological differences; this article focuses on cultural differences. Perhaps the cultural differences aren’t as clear in one’s awareness, but can be very important and just as far-reaching. Don’t underestimate culture!
sign-2340096_1280.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Part of world building is figuring out the consequences of changes you make from the technological and cultural background that you start with. You always start with something. For example, there’s often an assumption that there are horses large enough to be ridden in the world, even though for thousands of years of real-world history, they weren’t large enough to ride.

Trapped by Tolkien

Some world builders get “trapped by Tolkien” as I like to put it. They think elves must be like Tolkien’s (even though those aren’t traditional), dwarves must be like Tolkien’s, etc. Imagine elves with the capabilities of Tolkien’s, but inclined to be Imperials! It’s a change of culture only, but a mighty one. Imagine if dwarves and orcs tended to work together! Similarly, monstrous humanoids aren’t necessarily antagonistic towards humans and vice versa. These are cultural changes that can differentiate your fantasy world from so many others and while subtle, but they can make a big difference. Turn your imagination loose, don’t let it be constrained by a single author or book.

Magical Attitudes

Attitudes toward magic make a big difference on how a setting works. In one setting the magic users may be the rock stars, while in another they may be dreaded and avoided shadowy figures; they can be as rare as professional athletes or an everyday occurrence.

Modern Attitudes

It’s probably inevitable that modern attitudes will shape how game masters create their fantasy worlds. Using slavery as one example, whether or not it “makes sense” in a world must also be balanced by how it will be represented in the game. If you are going to take on mature topics for a fantasy world that has a long history similar to our world (including the unpleasant parts), you should consider how your players will deal with the topic.

Intentions

I haven’t said much about intentional versus unintentional change to a fantasy world, because in the end it’s the change that matters, not the intention. I suppose you’re more likely to figure out what changes will occur, when you’re intending to introduce changes. But a world is a huge collection of interactions, and any change is likely to affect more than you intended.

Your Turn: In your experience, what was the change (from the “default”) in world-setting that made the biggest difference?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This is a fascinating case where the title - the editor's title, not mine, mine was something like "World-building: effects of cultural change" - has gotten more attention than my intention, which was to write about how cultural change must modify a world from whatever people think is the norm or expectation or the real world.

a similar thing happened in the last (technology change) article too - a whole lot of the response focussed on Star Trek rather than Technology change in Fantasy Worlds but thats that nature of social media discussions. Its may be advisable in future articles to not use the hooks with such rampant fandom, having more obscure examples might allow the discussion to focus on the actual content of the article

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This is a fascinating case where the title - the editor's title, not mine, mine was something like "World-building: effects of cultural change" - has gotten more attention than my intention
Isn't this, like, the third time that's happened? No offense to your editor(s), but maybe you should get more input into the titles they choose.

Mercurius

Legend
This is dedication.

Well, I should clarify re: "dedication." Not a "brand new" setting, but a modified hybrid of previous settings. I take parts of what I want to carry forward, modify and add bits and pieces that I've thought up in the interregnum.

Some years ago I read a piece by Ursula LeGuin - I can't remember the exact context - where she wrote of Tolkien (whom she loved), but how glad she was that she didn't read the Lord of the Rings until she was in her twenties, when she had already found a style and voice of her own.

Her point was that, had she read it when she was younger, it might have cast a shadow so long that she would never have been able to escape it.

Coroc

Hero

Part of world building is figuring out the consequences of changes you make from the technological and cultural background that you start with. You always start with something. For example, there’s often an assumption that there are horses large enough to be ridden in the world, even though for thousands of years of real-world history, they weren’t large enough to ride.

Trapped by Tolkien

Some world builders get “trapped by Tolkien” as I like to put it. They think elves must be like Tolkien’s (even though those aren’t traditional), dwarves must be like Tolkien’s, etc. Imagine elves with the capabilities of Tolkien’s, but inclined to be Imperials! It’s a change of culture only, but a mighty one. Imagine if dwarves and orcs tended to work together! Similarly, monstrous humanoids aren’t necessarily antagonistic towards humans and vice versa. These are cultural changes that can differentiate your fantasy world from so many others and while subtle, but they can make a big difference. Turn your imagination loose, don’t let it be constrained by a single author or book.

Magical Attitudes

Attitudes toward magic make a big difference on how a setting works. In one setting the magic users may be the rock stars, while in another they may be dreaded and avoided shadowy figures; they can be as rare as professional athletes or an everyday occurrence.

Modern Attitudes

It’s probably inevitable that modern attitudes will shape how game masters create their fantasy worlds. Using slavery as one example, whether or not it “makes sense” in a world must also be balanced by how it will be represented in the game. If you are going to take on mature topics for a fantasy world that has a long history similar to our world (including the unpleasant parts), you should consider how your players will deal with the topic.

Intentions

I haven’t said much about intentional versus unintentional change to a fantasy world, because in the end it’s the change that matters, not the intention. I suppose you’re more likely to figure out what changes will occur, when you’re intending to introduce changes. But a world is a huge collection of interactions, and any change is likely to affect more than you intended.

Now it’s your turn: In your experience, what was the change (from the “default”) in world-setting that made the biggest difference?

Well, try out Darksun then.

I am more bored by todays anything goes mentality, with which i mean the thinking, that a campaign is great and creative, if the people are allowed to play good aligned monsters, when in reality most people fail to depict even a clasic elf correctly in a RP sense, and only 50% can portray a dwarf and his ambitions and culture, w/o resenting to scottish drunkard stereotype every second sentence.

the work of Tolkien is all about friendship, redemption and resisting to the attraction of absolute power.
taking care of the stereotype of elves and dwarves and orcs is looking at the lesser part of his work.

I'm a fantasy nut, and a good fantasy work doesn't require fantastical creatures or epic battles where mages hurl spells, but...I like those things. I like my elves, my dragons, my gods, my epic magic. I like subtle fantasy (or low fantasy, I guess?), as well, but fantasy as a genre has really expanded, and as it expands, sometimes the "generic fantasy" is a comfort food. For me, I don't care how many books or games have elves in them (though I'm an elf lover, so I'm admittedly biased), because even if the elves scream Tolkien...they're aren't Tolkien. They're the writer's, which means that no matter how stereotypical the elves may be (long-lived, beautiful, artistic, forest-dwelling), they're going to be unique in their own way, because the world isn't Middle Earth (even if we can point to obvious similarities).

Remove ads

Remove ads