Worlds of Design: Is There a Default Sci-Fi Setting?

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

futuristic-5930957_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
For us, it's Star Trek. Focus on exploration and frontier expansion, political strife, and "strange new worlds, new life, and new civilizations." I'm not sure how it fits into the five categories that @Ulfgeir provided, though.

Dire Bare

Legend
A futures in space RPG has so many more options than medieval+tolkien it is impossible to have a default, and therefore it will never be as popular as a fantasy one.
Fantasy stories can be as diverse as sci-fi stories, but they do evolve pre-Tolkien from European fairy tales and folklore, which got locked into a romanticized medievalesque setting as the Industrial Revolution got underway in the mid to late 19th century. Then Tolkien's Middle-Earth stories came along and had a huge impact in defining and popularizing the genre . . . fantasy has yet to escape J.R.R.'s shadow (not that I'm complaining).

Despite the impact of Star Wars and Star Trek, arguably the most popular and well-loved sci-fi settings (or really, sci-fantasy settings) . . . the sci-fi genre hasn't had it's "Tolkien" and so the more diverse stories compete for our attention . . . making it harder to define a "sci-fi default".

I think certain elements of sci-fi have become "generic" . . . . laser guns, FTL, plethora of sentient aliens . . . . but nothing that could be considered a coherent default setting.

Dire Bare

Legend
Another very common, almost "default" element of sci-fi is, directional (and scalable) gravity. Ships are made with an obvious "up" and "down" and their occupants more or less ignore the effects of acceleration (including negative or lateral accelerations), not unlike our seagoing vessels.

Also, time-dilatation is rarely taken into account.
You're right, of course, but I think it's broader . . . . treating space-going vessels as simply naval vessels traveling in a different medium. Spaceships are boats, essentially, in much sci-fi and sci-fantasy.

Ixal

Hero
Sci-Fi adventures are tricky.
I have the impression that 30 or so years ago there was a lot more Science in it than today (excluding things like Star Wars). See for example the Traveller RPG.
Today most Sci-Fi settings are basically fantasy in space. And that is most visible in the societies shown in them. Most of those societies do not even use advancements which are common even now. Surveilance cameras? Only used rarely. Health insurance and public health care that can cover most injuries (especially in real Sci-Fantasy settings like Starfinder)? Don't exist. Weapon Laws are extreme wild west instead of there being a form of gun control like everywhere in the world besides the USA. And police does not exist because they would steal the spotlight from the PCs.

Modern Science-Fiction settings for RPGs imo drop the science completely and settle for medieveal-ish fantasy with more neon lights. Mass Effect tried at first, but defaulted to fantasy too in later iterations.

You're right, of course, but I think it's broader . . . . treating space-going vessels as simply naval vessels traveling in a different medium. Spaceships are boats, essentially, in much sci-fi and sci-fantasy.

Its especially bad when they include submarines into this and that you can play hide and seek in space when in reality its impossible to hide yourself in space over a longer time.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Doing the index on my near future hard SF setting right now, ~3000 entries. bleh

Because of the rule systems I am using, Cepheus Engine right now, M-Space in the future, I have a tendency not to want to change the rules too much. I am looking at a 5e version, which of course would have to have me making spacecraft, and planetary system generation.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A futures in space RPG has so many more options than medieval+tolkien
The problem is that the initial premise is 'medievel+tolkien'. We don't say 'future+startrek'. It's self-fulfilling.

A future+star wars doesn't have many more options than medieval+tolkien. A future+startrek doesn't have many more options than medieval+tolkien.

The comparison isn't 'medieval+tolkien', it's 'fantasy'. And there's a lot of fantasy out there. The Forgotten Realms don't resemble Conan doesn't resemble Game of Thrones, doesn't resemble Discworld much. And those are just some well known properties. There's tons of wildly varied stuff out there.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases