Worlds of Design: Reassessing Tolkien’s Influence

J.R.R. Tolkien’s work is a strong influence on RPGs, but is that bad?

In September 2020 I wrote a column about Tolkien’s influence and how world builders are “trapped” by his influence. I was not writing with Tolkien in my sights. But now I am.

book-5718632_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Tolkien’s List​

How influential has J.R.R. Tolkien’s work been on RPGs, and is that influence a problem? I’ve made a list of some characteristics of Tolkien’s world (in no particular order):
  • Characteristics of Dwarves and Elves
  • Very low-magic levels of Middle-earth
  • Lack of religion, of “gods” that interfere
  • Impossibly long history without significant change in technology
  • An overarching “dark lord”
  • A single magical object that can determine overall success or failure (The Ring)
  • Group quest
  • “Monsters” and other detail

Dwarves and Elves​

Dwarves and Elves in RPGs are usually Tolkien-like, much different than earlier folklore notions. Consider the dwarfs of the Nibelungenlied, and the small and often nefarious elves of many stories about the Fey world. This may be where Tolkien’s influence is most obvious. (If you haven’t read the older stories you might not be aware of the striking difference. It’s like the so-called “classic” pirate accent (yaarrhh) – it didn’t exist in movies before 1950’s Treasure Island and Long John Silver’s west Cornish accent.)

Low-Magic Levels​

What evidently hasn’t influenced RPGs at all is the low-magic levels of Middle-earth. Magic items are just about non-existent. Spell-casters are just about non-existent. An inhabitant may hear of such things, but actually getting involved with one in any way, even just to see it, is nearly unheard of. In the USA today you’re as likely to see the President of the United States up close and personal as to see a magic-user in person in Middle-earth. Similarly, you’re more likely to see a gold bar in the USA than to see a magic item in Middle-earth.

Lack or Organized Religion​

Tolkien’s lack of organized religion, and of “gods” that interfere hasn’t been an influence. Gods that manifest in the world, if only through the spells of clerics/priests, are common in RPGs, perhaps heavily influenced by D&D. Gods that interfere in the “real world” are also common from what I hear of RPG campaigns (something I don’t use myself).

Little Technological Advancement​

Impossibly long history without significant change in technology. This is a big influence on literature as well as games. As an historian I recognize that this is virtually impossible. Yes, technology changed much more slowly in, say, 2500 BCE. But it did change immensely over time, and in so many games (and books) it doesn’t seem to change at all over many millennia. Heck, even the science fantasy Star Wars has very little technological change in tens of thousands of years. Having said that, my wife reminded me of the new “infernal/demonic engines” of Saruman, both at Isengard and in Hobbiton. Yet those technologies were very much frowned upon by the “good guys.”

A Dark Lord​

An overarching “dark lord” threatening the world. I have never used a Sauron-equivalent in my campaigns, but I’d guess that many GMs do. This is hardly an invention of Tolkien, but Lord of the Rings could certainly have influenced many GMs. There’s no evidence as to how much, though.

A MacGuffin​

A single magical object that can determine overall success or failure (The Ring). More than just a MacGuffin (“an object or device in a movie or a book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot”), it is the be-all and end-all of the entire story-arc. In LOTR it is Sauron’s lost Ring of Power, of course. Not something I’ve used (I avoid “saving the world” situations), but who knows how many others have used it? It’s more practical if the magical effect is much reduced, and the story scaled back from “saving the world” to accomplishing something worthwhile.

Was this new with Tolkien? Only an expert in pre-Tolkien fantasy fiction and myth could answer this question. What first comes to mind is the Ring in Wagner’s Nibelungenlied opera cycle, but that ring was not the overwhelming object of Power that Sauron’s Ring was. As with several of these questions, even if Tolkien was not the first, he may have been far better known than any preceding work.

A Group Quest​

Group Quest. Early science fiction and fantasy was dominated by a single protagonist hero, or hero and sidekick. Tolkien’s main books depicted quests by groups of characters rather than by individuals. How much this actually influenced RPGs, I have no idea.

Archetypical Monsters​

“Monsters” and other details. Apart from the characterizations of dwarves and elves, Tolkien’s influence shows in other species respects. For example, Orcs are direct transfers from LOTR, as are Hobbits (now changed to halflings). Ents (now changed to treants) are from LOTR, as are Balrogs (changed to Balor). Also, there is a “Common Tongue” in Middle-earth. This is a convenience for gaming that might have been invented by anyone, but Tolkien showed the way.

Does It Matter?​

I’m not trying to gauge whether Tolkien’s influence is “bad” or not. His work certainly influences RPGs, but perhaps less than many think. Newer gamers, coming to Tolkien through the movies, may see more of his influence than older gamers do. Some GMs are certainly more influenced than others. Yet I’m not sure how any literary influence on RPGs could be “bad”, insofar as inspiration can come from anywhere, and be used for any purpose. Any game designer is free to ignore Tolkien, or not, as preferred.

Your Turn: How do you incorporate (or avoid) Tolkien's influence in your campaigns?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I’m not trying to gauge whether Tolkien’s influence is “bad” or not. His work certainly influences RPGs, but perhaps less than many think. Newer gamers, coming to Tolkien through the movies, may see more of his influence than older gamers do. Some GMs are certainly more influenced than others. Yet I’m not sure how any literary influence on RPGs could be “bad”, insofar as inspiration can come from anywhere, and be used for any purpose. Any game designer is free to ignore Tolkien, or not, as preferred.
There are two ways (that come to mind, anyway) that a work's influence can be bad. One is to insert unneeded flaws deep into the foundations of something, so that it becomes difficult to fix those flaws later. I'm specifically thinking of the...shall we say, racially-insensitive ways that Tolkien describes some orcs and "Southron" humans. Ironically, his work isn't all that bad about this even by today's standards, but it really did lead to an awful lot of racist tropes getting woven into orcs as an archetype, some of which we're still fighting to this day.

The other, less overtly harmful but in some ways more insidious, is that it can close minds. I don't mean in the sense of becoming bigoted or whatever; I mean this in the sense that people will outright reject anything that doesn't fit the mold...or at least their idea of the mold. People build up really really specific, and really limiting, ideas of what is allowed to be part of the genre. This directly leads to something I've lamented many times over the years on this forum: "We have the freedom to create ANY world we imagine--so of course every world we imagine is exactly the gorram same. How stultifyingly dull our hobby becomes!"

There's nothing wrong with having useful touchstones. "Bad" influence, however, closes off interesting new developments, rather than supporting useful ones. And there is absolutely a metric crapton of judgment and opposition to things solely because they aren't familiar, largely meaning because they weren't present in Lord of the Rings.

Your Turn: How do you incorporate (or avoid) Tolkien's influence in your campaigns?
In my current campaign, I generally avoid most of it, other than the the elf and dwarf stuff, which I kept because I just like Tolkien-style elves and dwarves (though I invented new explanations for the nature of Tolkien-style elves). Well, sort of; religion is not so distant, but it is very explicitly left as an open question and there has only been one, very limited intervention of any such being (specifically, altered perceptions and a few lines spoken to just one person, not to the whole group, with no actual physical appearance at any point.) There is organized religion...but there are multiple religions, and all of them are represented by people or non-divinity celestial/infernal beings.

It's an Arabian Nights style setting, so magic items and magic generally are pretty common, and money and power and diplomacy matter a lot more than they do in Tolkien's work. The history of the world is a little slower than ours, but that's in part because a lot of work went into magic rather than tech as it did IRL. But experimenting with wizard-type magic is incredibly slow and dangerous, and most Waziri (wizards) are incredibly jealous about their discoveries, meaning that a lot of work gets lost before it can be truly understood by the community overall. Other forms of magic aren't really amenable to scientific experimentation, instead being much more about intuition and revelation, which rather slows the advancement process.

Further, until about 1600 years ago, humanity/etc. in the local area were mostly enslaved by the Genie-Rajahs, who packed up their stuff and moved to Jinnistan at that time. Going from "mostly slaves and wandering tribes" to "fully-developed civic culture" takes a LONG time, even with being able to colonize the cities the Jinnistani culture left behind, in part because they had to re-develop things like writing and reverse-engineer any technology left behind in order to develop their own industrial base. It's not that there's been a cultural stasis per se, it's that there was an enforced one for centuries to millennia before about 1600 years ago, and humanity has effectively regained a late-medieval/early-renaissance level of technology in about as much time as it took us to recover from the fall of Rome. That, at least to me, seems like an actually reasonable rate of advancement.

The party doesn't know about any "dark lord." There might be one, but if there is, the "dark" part is rather more literal, as any such "dark lord" has kept entirely out of the limelight.

I dunno if Tolkien really articulated the "group quest" idea. Conan adventured with friends too, even if the books were mostly about him. It's hard to write stories where you only have one character "on camera" most of the time.

Incenjucar

Legend
Tolkien's influence is diluting over time, as it should. Warcraft orcs and elves are more popular by far, the obsession with elves died out after decades, replaced by things more like tieflings, and the broader audience has read manga and YA than Tolkien and its derivatives. Writers are much more inclined to seek new takes on fantasy (or at least to borrow from Lovecraft instead).

Even as a kid in the 80s and 90s who watched the Hobbit cartoon over and over, I also watched or read Dark Crystal, The Last Unicorn, Legend, The Neverending Story, Willow, Flight of Dragons, Dragonslayer, Conan, TMNT, He-Man, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Duck Tales, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, Dragonball Z, Ranma 1/2, Wizard, a dozen things based on Arthurian legend (and usually time travel and magitech), Pern, Xanth, and lots of mythology and folklore from around the world.

I didn't read LotR until after the movies, well after I read older stories like Journey to the West or the Argonauts or the Knights of the Round Table.

A lot of stuff written today is influenced by LotR, but it's not that overwhelming now that the audience for fantasy is broader, and that's a good thing.

Voadam

Legend
Low magic-ish. Not D&D casting multiple spells every day in and out of combat, but in the Hobbit they find two magic swords early and Bilbo gets one of his own (Sting) and a magic ring of invisibility, and eventually magic/mithril armor.

In LotR Aragorn has a magic sword, there are healing herbs, they pick up elven bread, elven cloaks, Boromir has his horn, Gandalf has his ring, there is the Palantir. Magic items in D&D match up a bit more to Tolkien than to Howard.

Voadam

Legend
In 3e I went a little more Tolkien and made orcs subtype goblin while keeping traditional orc and goblin antipathies. So orcs could be called goblins as they were in the Hobbit, but also the infighting between tribal affiliations from LotR is there and I could keep traditional Gruumsh/Maglubiyet mythology fighting.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Some of the ideas in the OP I disagree with.

"What evidently hasn’t influenced RPGs at all is the low-magic levels of Middle-earth. Magic items are just about non-existent. Spell-casters are just about non-existent. An inhabitant may hear of such things, but actually getting involved with one in any way, even just to see it, is nearly unheard of. In the USA today you’re as likely to see the President of the United States up close and personal as to see a magic-user in person in Middle-earth. Similarly, you’re more likely to see a gold bar in the USA than to see a magic item in Middle-earth."

The magic levels of Middle Earth were not as low as a lot of people think.

In the Hobbit they find three magic weapons, a suit of magic armor, the local bowman has a magic dragon slaying arrow, an artifact ring of invisibility and there's a wizard.

In the Lord of the Rings there are multiple cloaks of elvenkind, boots of elvenkind, a magic vial of holy light, a crystal ball, a magical boat, magical earth, a magical rope, a minimum of three magic swords, a magic short sword/dagger, a magical suit of armor, a magical seeing pool, 13 magical rings of power, a magical horn, two wizards, a spellcasting elf queen, a spellcasting elf lord, and Gandalf's statement that shows that magic outside of the Istari was much more prevalent than folks give Middle Earth credit for.

"‘I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves or Men or Orcs, that was ever used for such a purpose. I can still remember ten score of them without searching in my mind."

I mean, even orcs had spellcasters! And there are at least 200 different spells of opening alone that were created by spellscasters outside of the Istari. I'm sure many more people encountered spellcasters in Middle Earth than Americans meet presidents.

Back to magic items. The Noldor created thousands of magical crystals and tens or hundreds of thousands of magical weapons and suits of armor, as did the dwarves who were more skilled than all but the best Noldor weaponsmiths. Huge numbers of those were lost in major battles. Glamdring, Sting and Foehammer were just a few of the swords forged in Gondolin, which housed a small fraction of the elven folk who originally travelled to Middle Earth from Aman. We also know that elves create other magic items from the gifts Galadriel gave to the Fellowship.

To think that magic items and spellcasters don't abound in Middle Earth is shortsighted given what we know.

"Tolkien’s lack of organized religion, and of “gods” that interfere hasn’t been an influence. Gods that manifest in the world, if only through the spells of clerics/priests, are common in RPGs, perhaps heavily influenced by D&D. Gods that interfere in the “real world” are also common from what I hear of RPG campaigns (something I don’t use myself)."

The Valar and Maiar interfered a number of times. While the Valar were not gods in Middle Earth, the did hold the power level of D&D gods along with D&D godlike portfolios.

"Group Quest. Early science fiction and fantasy was dominated by a single protagonist hero, or hero and sidekick. Tolkien’s main books depicted quests by groups of characters rather than by individuals. How much this actually influenced RPGs, I have no idea."

I disagree with this depiction of Tolkien as well.

The quest was Frodo's and Frodo's alone to take the ring to Mordor. The others went to along to aid him in his quest. Eaerendel was given the quest to go to Valinor to get the Valar to help the elves and men. Beren was alone given the quest to recover a Silmaril. Turin(with yet another magic sword) was primarily a solo adventurer.

Looking back, the only real group quest I can remember was in the Hobbit. The 13 dwarves and Bilbo had a shared quest.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
"Group Quest. Early science fiction and fantasy was dominated by a single protagonist hero, or hero and sidekick. Tolkien’s main books depicted quests by groups of characters rather than by individuals. How much this actually influenced RPGs, I have no idea."

I disagree with this depiction of Tolkien as well.

The quest was Frodo's and Frodo's alone to take the ring to Mordor. The others went to along to aid him in his quest. Eaerendel was given the quest to go to Valinor to get the Valar to help the elves and men. Beren was alone given the quest to recover a Silmaril. Turin(with yet another magic sword) was primarily a solo adventurer.

Looking back, the only real group quest I can remember was in the Hobbit. The 13 dwarves and Bilbo had a shared quest.
Eh, Bilbo was a hireling on someone else's quest.

But either way I think it's splitting hairs a bit. In both cases it's a group going on the adventure.

Even if the quest was laid on Frodo alone and Elrond said that to the others that "no oath or bond is laid on you to go further than you will". "‘Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,’ said Gimli", after all. :)

The Soloist

Adventurer
Tolkien indeed cast a long shadow but it has dwindled over the decades.

D&D is a mish-mash of many influences. Appendix N anyone?

Also, in OD&D and Holmes Basic, it's clearly stated a player can play any sentient monstrous race he wants if the DM accepts. You can be a lizardman, a dragon or a treant!

Finally, I played Taglador Reshi! The most successful gnome illusionist-thief that ever was! Levels 8-8! He has been an NPC in all my group D&D campaigns since 1982. :D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Eh, Bilbo was a hireling on someone else's quest.
No. Hirelings make like 10sp per day plus expenses. Full party members get an equal share like Bilbo did.
But either way I think it's splitting hairs a bit. In both cases it's a group going on the adventure.
Ahh, but in the latter case the group split up and went in four different directions and never came back together. 1. Frodo and Sam, 2. Merry and Pippin, 3. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimlin, and 4. Gandalf. An adventuring party may split briefly, but it doesn't start 4 different stories like that.

Frodo was able to split off with his henchman because he was the one with the quest.
Even if the quest was laid on Frodo alone and Elrond said that to the others that "no oath or bond is laid on you to go further than you will". "‘Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,’ said Gimli", after all. :)
And yet after Frodo and his henchman Sam left, Gimli didn't see him again until it was over.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I’ve always kinda wondered why people try so hard to deny the influence of Tolkien. Never mind DnD - Tolkien’s influence on the genre can’t really be overstated.
Yes, let's look at the rest of the hobby!

I mean good grief we had thirty years of Tolkien races forming the basis of the phb plus gnomes which nearly no one actually plays.
...or just go right back to D&D.

It took thirty years just to get a non Tolkien race into the phb. That’s how big a shadow Tolkien casts.
D&D casts a big shadow too. A big, magicky, gaudy, dragony, shadow. But I'm wondering: is the OP just about D&D too? Because there are a lot of RPGs that don't play Tolkien's tune.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
No. Hirelings make like 10sp per day plus expenses. Full party members get an equal share like Bilbo did.
Pfft. Specialist NPCs often command full shares. But I'm just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning- your claim that the determining factor is whose quest it is. And it definitely wasn't Bilbo's. He was a hired hand.

Ahh, but in the latter case the group split up and went in four different directions and never came back together. 1. Frodo and Sam, 2. Merry and Pippin, 3. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimlin, and 4. Gandalf. An adventuring party may split briefly, but it doesn't start 4 different stories like that.

Frodo was able to split off with his henchman because he was the one with the quest.
Nah, all the party members stayed on-screen (except Gandalf, the DMPC). That's part of how you can tell they're all PCs. The DM went to hard mode and let the party split.

Remove ads

Remove ads