Worlds of Design: RPGs in Just Six Words

How much detail do you need to know to run a particular setting in FRPG? Some settings have about the detail level of comic books, some are more detailed such as Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels or Lord of the Rings (LOTR), some have settings as detailed as the Game of Thrones show. Can you explain your RPG setting in just six words?

How much detail do you need to know to run a particular setting in FRPG? Some settings have about the detail level of comic books, some are more detailed such as Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels or Lord of the Rings (LOTR), some have settings as detailed as the Game of Thrones show. Can you explain your RPG setting in just six words?

Many D&D settings are detailed enough for a large book, tens of thousands of words long. The Game of Thrones books (Song of Fire and Ice) will top two million words. LOTR has spawned three movies over 12 hours altogether (extended versions). Yet other settings are relatively sparse.

On the other hand, Jeffro Johnson (author of the "Appendix N" book about D&D's sources), says that you only need to know six things about your setting to run an adventure. He tends to rely much more on GM invention and much less on written material than most.

Jeffro never put any categories, it was just six things. I'd think of categories:

• Transportation and communication would be one.
  • Lethality (how many die/get killed prematurely in the world) might be another.
  • Rarity of magic; how powerful is magic; stage of magic (see "Four Stages of Magic"); is it people or magic items that are powerful?
  • What forms of government exist (empires, monarchies, oligarchies, etc.).
This brings to mind another "minimalist" route. Ernest Hemingway once answered a challenge to write a six word story thus: "For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn". Since then, others have written such minimalist stories. (Why six rather than, say, seven? No idea.)

I've asked readers of my Gamastura (video site) blog to offer six word statements for various topics, with interesting results. Limiting yourself to a few words can help creativity. Here's the challenge:

Can you explain your RPG setting in just six words?

I've tried a few examples for existing settings below (admittedly, some of the most detailed settings around). Anytime you try to describe something complex in six words, it can only be a hint, but might be enough to interest players. Another way to approach minimalism is the "elevator pitch," well known in video game design, about as many words as you say during an elevator trip. Two or three sentences, say 25 words?
[h=3]Original D&D - Greyhawk[/h]
  • Medieval fantasy, cooperation, magic is dominant
  • Medieval monsters, tactical combat, magic everywhere
[h=3]Game of Thrones[/h]
  • Betrayal, lust, greed, swords; magic rare
  • Winter is coming, war and rebellion
  • Devastation, fire-breathing dragons, Ice Walkers cometh
[h=3]Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom[/h]
  • Forever young, constantly at war, Mars
  • Desiccated Mars, pseudo-science, swords, guns, flyers
  • Aerial battle fleets, individual heroism, Mars
[h=3]Middle-Earth[/h]
  • One Ring, evil reawakened, orcs, besieged
  • Orcs dominant, magic rare, medieval technology
  • World in decline, monsters reawakened, Doom (Double-entendre there.)
[h=3]Spelljammer[/h]
  • Fantasy space-travel; Neogi, Beholder, Illithid ships!
  • Fast fantasy spaceships, low gunpowder technology
[h=3]Arabian Nights[/h]
  • Arabian nights, desert survival, desert "spirits"
  • Desert survival, princesses, thieves, "genies," spirits
I suppose you could call this un-rhymed free-form poetry. Some of the above describe a story more than the setting. Perhaps that's easier. Can you do better describing these settings? Or how about describing your own campaign? If six words is just too few, try the "elevator pitch" (25 word) description.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Eirikrautha

First Post
We should do it for all of the editions of D&D:

OD&D- Let's add dragons to the wargame.
Basic- Elves are classes, not races, dummy!
AD&D- What the hell does THAC0 mean?
2e D&D- Everybody gets their own splatbook!
3e D&D- Everything you do should have stats.
3.5 D&D- O.K., let's try that again, guys...
4e D&D- What if D&D was a videogame?
Pathfinder- If only combat could take forever!
5e D&D- Live by "Keep it simple, stupid."

And 6E "Profits falling: time for a reboot."

Why would you want to? Using only six words is no more than painting with just a few labels, labels that are going to have drastically different meaning and connotations to not just those of us in the community that do share many common understandings, but on the fringes or outside such labels are going to prove deceptive at best.

As for referencing Jeffro Johnson, six categories is nothing like 6 words.

Arvok

Explorer
Role-playing over roll-playing, low-magic, grand heroes

I know I cheated a bit by hyphenating, but there you have my attempt.

G

Guest 6801328

This is brilliant. And funny.

A lot of the OPs attempts were largely just lists of nouns. This is better.

Aldarc

Legend
On the other hand, Jeffro Johnson (author of the "Appendix N" book about D&D's sources), says that you only need to know six things about your setting to run an adventure. He tends to rely much more on GM invention and much less on written material than most.
What six essential things you need to know about your setting to run an adventure seems like a more useful prompt than describing your setting in six words.

Though thinking about some of these setting taglines, I would also be more interested in describing settings using Fate aspects: e.g., High Concept, Trouble, and (axillary) Aspects. In Fate the core character concept in play will be driven by the High Concept and the Trouble.

So with Eberron you may have...
High Concept: Pulp Noir and Swashbuckling Action with Magitech
Trouble: Scars Linger in an Uneasy Post-War "Peace"
Aspect: Unraveling a Myterious Draconic Prophecy
Aspect: Dynastic Magical Dragonmarked Houses Control Trade
Aspect: Everyone has Plans within Plans

lewpuls

Hero
I suspect Jeffro thinks of it as six things you need to put together an adventure, not six categories or six essential aspects of the setting.

Yes, six words is a versatile way to think of things, because there are so many ways to use it. I was trying to narrow it down to description.

Remove ads

Remove ads