Worlds of Design: Spelljammer 2.0

As a big fan of the old Spelljammer, I really wanted to like the new 5e version. But it doesn’t fix some of the problems of the old version.

81SsoYdosTL.jpg

What Sets Spelljammer Apart​

Beth Rimmels wrote a thorough review of the new Spelljammer product ($44.93 including tax, free shipping, from Amazon; list $69.99). This is my perspective on what’s changed.

What sets fantasy adventures in outer space apart from other settings? First it is the ships themselves and ship to ship combat, and second it is a new set of monsters designed for “space”, such as the Neogi and the solar dragons. The third book of the set is the monster manual for the setting, and it works fine. The ships are a substantial part of the first book that describes how Spelljammer works (though its title is Astral Adventurer’s Guide). The other book is an adventure path.

Same Setting, New Edition​

There’s been some discussion lately that Wizards of the Coast may have adopted a strategy of issuing new D&D settings but relying on the DM’s Guild for third-party support thereafter. Spelljammer shows signs of this. Moreover, it is only 192 pages despite being three pasteboard hardcover books; much of that is occupied by artwork. Artwork doesn’t do much for a GM, certainly not when the resulting product is too short to adequately describe itself.

Perhaps because of the limited space available, the new Spelljammer doesn’t dive very deeply into most topics. Instead of greatly improving the setting they have merely given it a brief new paint job. The approach feels a bit like the approach to board games, in which most board games are played up to three times at most, because players have so many other games to choose from. I wonder if this has also become the norm for role-playing game publishers, with the expectation that most customers won’t be playing in the setting for more than a few sessions.

Sinking Ships​

To me, the main interest of Spelljammer is the ships and ship combat. (Then again, I’ve always been a fan of the Naval aspects of history, including when I wrote my dissertation.). Unfortunately, there’s a considerable lack of detail in how ship combat works. There is no maneuverability rating; as far as I can tell any ship can stop or turn on a dime, move sideways or backwards at full speed. In the adventure, ships always initially appear quite close to one another to limit opportunities for maneuver. The ship determines the tactical speed, not the level of the helmsman (now called the spelljammer).

The ship diagrams look very much like the old ones, not a bad thing. Helms are cheap. There is no spell penalty for helming a ship (in the old system, the caster lost all of their spells). Level of helmsman doesn't matter for tactical speed or much of anything else.

Ship tonnage is no longer specified, just hit points (250-450 generally). That helps avoid some of the bizarre inconsistencies in size between ship diagrams and the official size of ships in the old rules. Ship diagrams are very reminiscent of the old, may even be the same in a few cases, and it is mostly the same ships as in the original. There are still odd allocations of square footage, such as a captain’s cabin much larger than the entire crew quarters for 21 crew. Some diagrams show a location for the helm (an important point in boarding), some don’t.

The standard appears to be just one spelljammer (helmsman) on a ship! The ship can move 24/7, but helmsman, who must concentrate as for a spell, is not going to last more than half a day. Why no second or third helmsman?

This version feels as though it treats the ships as mere transportation, a way of getting from one place to another. I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment but that’s how it feels to me, the game is not ship oriented even though the ships are the unique feature of adventures in outer space.

Other Changes​

The entire second book is a sort of adventure path that takes characters from 5th to 9th level. Unfortunately, the objective is, yet again, to save a world. My impression is that the creators felt that players would only play Spelljammer a few times, so they included a big “save the world” adventure sequence so that people could be done with the setting when they finished the sequence. I would instead have preferred some unconnected adventures for lower-level characters who could then look forward to bigger things.

It is not all one-sided disappointment. One change that makes sense: instead of “the phlogiston” connecting star systems together, the Astral Sea is the connection. Githyanki are present! As if mind flayers and beholders weren’t bad enough.

It’s a shame, because Spelljammer is chock full of ideas … and full of inconsistencies. The new edition was an opportunity to streamline the setting by taking the best of what came before. Instead, we got some tantalizing concepts and not enough content to do them justice.

Your Turn: Did you create or borrow rules from other systems to play in your Spelljammer campaign?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

dave2008

Legend
Dark Matter, that was Alternity's X-Files setting right? I liked that one. Alternity was the precursor to 3E IMO. We can make up whatever rules we need for ship-to-ship combat so I'm not worried but to leave that out of a SJ product is just heinous.
AS far as I can tell it doesn't have anything to do with Alternity. It is a 5e SciFi setting: Dark Matter The name comes form the "dark matter" engines that allows ships to jump through space.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Dark Matter is a science fantasy setting setting created by the 3pp Mage Hand Press. They put out a ton of 5e content, most of it pretty good.
I think we are talking about 2 different things maybe. Dark Matter was also a campaign setting which if Im not mistaken started in Alternity from WotC.

I pretty much agree with everything in this article. I keep comparing it to the old 2e boxset, which wasn't honestly that much shorter in page length. But without an adventure and a full bestiary, it gave them a lot more room to explore the universe of Spelljammer and give a little more crunch to life in space in that boxset.

I agree with the sentiment that Wizards of the Coast has lost too much of their world building experts. I wish they would have played to their strengths and just given us a Spelljammer adventure book (like Curse of Strahd as the revisit to Ravenloft, as opposed Van Richten's) instead of spreading themselves to thin with 180 pages. Ditto with Planescape: there's no way that they can cover 27 inner, outer, and transitory planes, along with 15 factions, in a 60 page slipcase book!

Thankfully, the ol' 2e stuff seems to hold up. I'm running a Planescape campaign in 5e with the old adventures and boxsets. When I get around to a Spelljammer campaign, I can freely pilfer from the 2e boxsets and adventures.

Once again WotC trying to make every product too many different things, especially bad when it's has an absurdly, embarrassingly low page counts and a lot of space using art.

It leds to a beautiful, but naughty word product. Even Radiant Citadel feels more like an actual setting then this. Oh Hell Witchlight feels more like a setting then this.

The product is a pretty disgrace. Great art and material quality, but the only satifiactory rules are the Player rules, there are enough intriguing bits of lore that end up getting no support or exploration to be frustrating.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Once again WotC trying to make every product too many different things, especially bad when it's has an absurdly, embarrassingly low page counts and a lot of space using art.

It leds to a beautiful, but naughty word product. Even Radiant Citadel feels more like an actual setting then this. Oh Hell Witchlight feels more like a setting then this.

The product is a pretty disgrace. Great art and material quality, but the only satifiactory rules are the Player rules, there are enough intriguing bits of lore that end up getting no support or exploration to be frustrating.
WotC considers player rules far more important than any other kind (or lore), because that's what encourages many people to buy the books.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Are they? Where's that said?

The astral dominions of "many" gods can be reached by spelljamming, but the book doesn't say anything about the actual Outer Planes being reachable by ship. The set is clear that these islands and cities are part of the Astral Sea. The implication is that these are specific outposts of the relevant gods, not heaven and hell themselves, divine embassy-ports in the Astral rather than their realms proper.

If you're trying to actually reach an Outer Plane in a ship, well, maybe you can do it if, while on the Astral, you can find a color pool of sufficient diameter to the right plane, but since the mechanics aren't specified anywhere, DM's call whether you can actually take a whole ship through a color pool instead of yourself and reasonable gear. And the way color pools work, you're now stuck on the destination plane, with no obvious way to get your ship back.

(There is an exception in that a nautiloid can plane shift. This is explicitly specific to a nautiloid, per that ship's entry. Thus a DM can easily have a campaign where you go to heaven and hell by spaceship by letting the players get a nautiloid, but it's not the default way Spelljammer works.)
I don’t know what edition you play, but for my group the astral plane has always been the method used to travel to/from/across the outer planes using astral barges. I assumed that the change meant the astral barge rules were subsumed into spelljammers and now there was regular trade between the outer planes and the mortal planets now… because otherwise ditching the phlogiston wouldn’t make sense. The astral is to the outer planes what the phlogiston was to the crystal spheres. Unless you’re using the rule that each crystal sphere has its own set of outer planes, which is only true for certain editions or settings.

I hate this cosmology so much

Hussar

Legend
WotC considers player rules far more important than any other kind (or lore), because that's what encourages many people to buy the books.
Considering that they've banged out adventures far in excess of player rules, I'd say that this is not particularly true. 15 Adventure Paths, 5 rule books and a couple of setting guides? At least that's my rough count. I'm thinking that perhaps WotC considers being able to play far more important than lore because D&D isn't meant to be read but actually played.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Considering that they've banged out adventures far in excess of player rules, I'd say that this is not particularly true. 15 Adventure Paths, 5 rule books and a couple of setting guides? At least that's my rough count. I'm thinking that perhaps WotC considers being able to play far more important than lore because D&D isn't meant to be read but actually played.
In all fairness, I sometimes think 2e was meant to be read 😉

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases