Worlds of Design: The Lost Art of Being Lost

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost. Yet it’s much less likely to happen nowadays.

orientation-7440747_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one. - Bob Parsons
If you’ve played tabletop RPGs long enough, you’ve probably been in an adventure where your party got lost, or cut off from retracing their path home (which amounts to the same thing). Remember how exciting it was? Getting lost is a common occurrence in actual military operations. Yet it’s much less likely to happen in tabletop RPGs nowadays.

Fog of War​

In the first years of playing Dungeons & Dragons, many of my most memorable adventures were ones where we got lost in a place with few pathways, such as a dungeon. The cause could be as simple as a one-way door, or a rotating room. But this has changed, and it’s due in no small part to computer role-playing games (CRPGs).

In D&D’s early days, one of the fundamental roles of any party was the mapper. The idea being that the dungeon was concealed through fog of war, in which games simulate ignorance of strength and position of friends and foes. A common staple of board games, it was carried over into wargames and D&D. A mapper was an out-of-game role for a player (although presumably, the player’s character was also creating a map) so that retreat and further exploration were possible.

Fog of war changed how D&D was played. Being lost or cut off from home requires a different mode of play. In typical play you can go through an encounter or two, then stop (or go back home) to recover before you continue. But when you’re lost, you have to husband your resources much more carefully (depends on the game rules, of course).

Fog of war has a lot of fiddly tactical elements, not the least of which being that it requires keeping players in the dark. Dungeon masters must keep track of what’s happening with two separate maps, one representing the “real” dungeon and one representing what the PCs have explored. If the game is procedurally generated, it may be that even the DM doesn’t know the layout of the “real” dungeon, creating it as the players explore it.

This is a lot of work, which is why when the concept was ported to CRPGs, mapping was offloaded to the program.

Computers Take Over​

The Dunjonquest series of games were one of the first to replicate dungeon exploring, using numbered rooms and text descriptions that were read separately in a booklet resembling a pen-and-paper adventure module. But it wasn’t long before games just mapped everything for you. As computer power increased, virtual worlds got bigger, as did the opportunity for players to get lost. Many CRPGs provide waypoints that show the direction, if not the distance, to the next quest.

This led to the conventional wisdom that CRPGs should “always make sure the player knows what to do/where to go next.” It’s a form of handholding, making sure that players don’t get frustrated, that derives in part from the prevalence of free-to-play (F2P) games. If a free game is frustrating, players may quit it and (easily) find another to play.

The design objective in free-to-play video games is not to challenge the player(s), but to engage them in an electronic playground long enough that they’ll decide to spend money on micro transactions, or other methods of acquiring the player’s money. In a game that costs the player nothing to procure, anything that’s frustrating tends to be avoided, except when that frustration is a slow progress “pain point” that the player can fix by spending some money to speed things up. Negative consequences are avoided.

This approach can surprised players accustomed to CRPG-style exploration.

The Fun of Getting Lost​

The same factors that led to CRPGs streamlining mapping affect tabletop games: lack of players, lack of time, and getting players up to speed quickly so they can play.

While getting lost can be fun, not everyone wants their first play experience to be wandering around in the dark. New players expect to jump into the action, at least in part because so many other forms of entertainment allow them to do just that.

This of course depends on the style of play. Players might not be as frustrated in sessions where the GM is telling a story, as players will regard getting lost as a necessary part of the story. In a story, getting lost is exciting and mysterious. But (as GM) if you’re “writing” a story for your players, you have to control when they get lost, you can’t let it happen randomly. And if they’re used to you guiding them through a story, they’ll lose that excitement and mystery of getting lost, because they’ll know you’re in control.

Consider the Secret Door​

Whether or not a DM uses secret doors encapsulates if characters can get lost in a dungeon. If the DM is telling a story, a secret door is more of an obstacle—the PCs will presumably find it no matter what to progress the story. If the DM is running the game as a simulation in which the PCs’ dungeoneering skills are tested, the secret door may not be found at all and the room behind it may never be discovered.

Where this becomes an issue if players think they’re playing a story game but the DM is running a simulation. A dislike of secret doors by novices in D&D, sometimes termed by players as a “dirty GM trick,” represents the conflicting approaches. Some players want clear paths instead of obstacles. They’re not interested in allowing secret doors to perform their primary function: rewarding players for skillful dungeoneering.

Video gamers learn what they "should" do next. Board gamers of the Eurostyle learn the Generally Accepted Best Move in This Situation, and other players may actually get mad at you if you play differently! (This is partly a consequence of "multiple paths to victory" that everyone must follow to solve the puzzle of the parallel competition.) TTRPGers have much more "freedom," fortunately.

If your campaign is a simulation, then getting characters lost is a good way to challenge and excite players. If your game is a playground, or a storytelling session, the players might not react favorably.

Your Turn: Do you allow parties to get lost in your games?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Is this referring to Dancy’s article on the state of TSR when it was bought by WotC? I seem to recall a discussion about the survey forms TSR sent out in boxed products and the like, and that they really didn’t pay attention to the (small amount of) feedback they were getting back. But that would be TSR’s error, not WotCs.
No, it's referring to that big survey Dancey led, during the run-up to 3e shortly after WotC bought TSR.

In Dancey's report - which Morrus has archived on this site (click on 'Features' at the top of the page, it's the second option down the list) - it is specifically stated that not all survey responses were considered: an arbitrary age cutoff was imposed such that anyone identifying as over 35 (at the time) was ignored.

Therefore, their data is intentionally incomplete - and thus faulty.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm sick to death of the notion of "it's the journey". No. If your campaign isn't about the destination, I want nothing to do with it. Sure, you need some journey to lead to that pay off, but, you NEED that pay off.
You need the potential of that payoff, sure, but the longer it can be delayed the longer you get to keep running that campaign. :)
There's a reason you have boss monsters in Dark Souls that lead you to the next area. Wandering around aimlessly in Dark Souls, fighting random critters is actually the wrong way to play and the game will absolutely punish you for doing that. You need goals, you need focus and you need to stay on task if you want to succeed in Dark Souls.
That to me is the worst type of play, where you have to stay on mission all the time and can't really do anything else. Bleah. Let me wander around and explore the setting on my own terms, finding adventure where and how I may.

pogre

Legend
This is where being on the other side of the screen changed the way I run the game.

When I play I do not enjoy mapping.

When I play I do not enjoy being lost.

When I play I don't enjoy bottleneck puzzles that rely on the cleverness of the players and have nothing to do with the characters' capabilities.

When I play I do not enjoy taking every combat to the bitter end that is not going to drain significant PC resources and is just a matter of time.

So in session zero I find out if my players enjoy these things. In the last 15+ years the answer has been consistently "not really."

It has nothing to do with computer gaming. I have been playing as long as pretty much anyone. Those activities are just not fun for me and I have completely stopped imposing those things on my players.

Hussar

Legend
You need the potential of that payoff, sure, but the longer it can be delayed the longer you get to keep running that campaign. :)

But for the overwhelming majority of play, there is no “longer”. Most campaigns tap out after about 12-18 months of play. And I suspect a lot of play is even shorter.

So delaying the payoff means that it just never happens. And advising people to assume that campaigns will live on indefinitely just results in so much boring play.

Pentallion

Explorer
My group has been lost for weeks. Tonight they fibally found their way again.
Along the way they had to get past a death knights fortress, an elder brain and its group of mindflayers and eventually a demon lord.
The whole while a doppleganger had infiltrated them and was disappearing npcs along the way.
So they had fun.
Being lost is only as boring as you make it

Thomas Shey

Legend
No, it's referring to that big survey Dancey led, during the run-up to 3e shortly after WotC bought TSR.

In Dancey's report - which Morrus has archived on this site (click on 'Features' at the top of the page, it's the second option down the list) - it is specifically stated that not all survey responses were considered: an arbitrary age cutoff was imposed such that anyone identifying as over 35 (at the time) was ignored.

Therefore, their data is intentionally incomplete - and thus faulty.

So, you're basing your argument on data that is (even if relevant) 23+ years old at this point. Like that's the last time anyone has ever had an opportunity to take the play group's temperature, and nothing has changed in that time even though a whole new generation is playing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But for the overwhelming majority of play, there is no “longer”. Most campaigns tap out after about 12-18 months of play. And I suspect a lot of play is even shorter.
That's not my fault. There is always longer, up to the lifespans of the people involved; and as long as the GM is still keen then real-life player turnover wihtin a campaign isn't a problem.
So delaying the payoff means that it just never happens. And advising people to assume that campaigns will live on indefinitely just results in so much boring play.
Advising people to assume campaigns will last indefinitely until-unless told otherwise puts a vastly different set of expectations on to the campaign and how it might progress.

Assume forever and you just might get there. Assume less and you never will.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So, you're basing your argument on data that is (even if relevant) 23+ years old at this point. Like that's the last time anyone has ever had an opportunity to take the play group's temperature, and nothing has changed in that time even though a whole new generation is playing.
WotC's surveys and data collection methods since then haven't exactly overwhelmed me with confidence in their accuracy or completeness, never mind people still point to that 1999 survey when talking about "how people play the game".

Yes WotC do lots of online surveys, and at face value that's a good thing. But the questions in those surveys are frequently biased, and we're never told which responses are kept and which are tossed due to arbitrary criteria.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
My group has been lost for weeks. Tonight they fibally found their way again.
Along the way they had to get past a death knights fortress, an elder brain and its group of mindflayers and eventually a demon lord.
The whole while a doppleganger had infiltrated them and was disappearing npcs along the way.
So they had fun.
Being lost is only as boring as you make it
Getting past a death knight's fortress: Not actually lost, you just don't know how to get to where you want to go. You know you are at the death knight's fortress.
Dealing with an elder brain: Has nothing to do with being lost, other than that they weren't on the path they intended to take, which can be caused by any number of things.
Dealing with a demon lord: ditto.
Dealing with a doppelganger eliminating NPCs: totally unrelated to being lost, as this can apply on any long journey.

None of these things are about being lost. They are about finding your way out. Which is, and has been, my point. The "you are lost" part is the least interesting part of this process. It can easily be replaced in most cases, and even when it can't be replaced, the interesting part is when you start having some idea, even if it's only partial or incomplete or "well, it's a start," of how you can get to where you want to go, or at least get to somewhere where you can figure out how to get there.

I'm happy to explore being lost if it is fun and interesting for the table. But most often than not I may not have something decent prepared or my imagination fails me at that point I'd simply impose the consequences for the party being lost (loss of resources, time, movement of BBEG's clock) and get on with the story.

Have I had great scenarios and fun with a party being lost? Yes. It's a value judgement I feel the DM needs to make for their table unless they have something interesting prepared. RPG time is precious so make the most of it.

Remove ads

Remove ads