Worlds of Design: To Move or Not to a New Edition?

Many tabletop RPGs besides D&D have multiple editions. How many people stick with older editions rather than move to the new one?

When the RPG ruleset you use is replaced by a new edition, what do you do?

Many tabletop RPGs besides D&D have multiple editions. How many people stick with older editions rather than move to the new one?

newedition.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Flipping & Turning Through New Rules​

I was reading an issue of Flipping & Turning (an online magazine for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, free through DriveThruRPG). A contributor to that magazine mentioned that years ago he thought no one played AD&D (First Edition, 1E) anymore, not once the Second Edition (2E) was released, but discovered many years later that Old Schoolers often play 1E.

My own experience is that I moved to AD&D from the original booklets, ignored 2E, played 3E along with 1E, played but did not game master 4E, and appreciate many virtues in 5E but don’t play it, still playing 1E.

New Editions, Other Games​

Thinking about other kinds of tabletop games, I suspect everyone moves to each new edition (there have been many) of Magic: the Gathering, because of “organized play” tournaments and the annual replacement of cards with new ones.

When an expansion for a board game is published, most people play with the expansion(s) if they can. New editions of board games are uncommon. I cite my own Britannia. In the UK people played the original H.P. Gibsons (1986) edition, in the USA gamers played the slightly different and later Avalon Hill (AH) edition (1987). When I revised the game to fix some errors introduced by publishers, in 2006, it replaced the AH edition at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) tournament, though a few people still prefer the AH edition. The 2020 reissue of the game does not change the rules, but uses plastic pieces (and new board artwork). Many long-time players don’t like the idea of plastic figures, and I think we’ll see a mix of sets when WBC next meets. But because the rules haven’t changed, though the interface has, it’s not comparable to a new edition of an RPG where the rules do change.

The Pros & Cons of a New Edition​

If you stick with the old you don’t have to worry about official updates to the rules. Updates can vary in quality and reception; some provide new ways for players to get something in a way that seems "easier" to players, which can cause friction at the table when those players want to use the new rules, and the game master doesn't. This may not be a problem for strong personalities, but can be a problem for a GM who isn’t clearly the leader of the group. That GM will be constantly bombarded with requests to use new rules. Forty years ago I advised GMs to avoid letting players gain unearned advantages through new rules (I banned all additions to my 3E game); but that only applies to RPGs as games, not as storytelling mechanisms.

A new edition can fix problems, but can introduce new ones. I’m not sure where the advantage lies. Another consequence of staying with the old is that new players who have bought the new edition may prefer to play what they’ve bought.

By the time a new edition is released, there’s so much material available for the older edition (often free or quite cheap) that there may not be an obvious need to switch. Those sticking with older RPG editions may be more likely to make up their own material, and thus depend less on updates. Gamers sometimes accuse publishers of releasing a new edition simply to make more money rather than actually improve the game, but a company’s motivation can certainly be both (See The Dilemma of the Simple RPG).

Finally, there is the belief that new is always better, predicated on the notion that a new edition is always an improvement on the older one. That’s certainly how publishers position their new editions, but it’s not true for every player. It wasn’t true for me with D&D, but with an historian’s perspective I also see that new often isn’t better, it’s just new.

Your Turn: How many people stick with older editions of RPGs? After all, many tabletop role-playing games have multiple editions, not just D&D. So we have a poll!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I like 5e very well but like more survival, risk of death and treasure for xp. The solution? If 5e. Is otherwise brilliant don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

my friend and I are going to play BECMI on the side of our 5e campaign. Will scratch the itch and keep 5e going.

I preferred the vibe of 1e to all editions but to invest effort I need some incentive and real contrasting I am going to do a side game.

becmi is quick and straightforward so it has advantages that way as a side campaign…

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I like 5e very well but like more survival, risk of death and treasure for xp. The solution? If 5e. Is otherwise brilliant don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

my friend and I are going to play BECMI on the side of our 5e campaign. Will scratch the itch and keep 5e going.

I preferred the vibe of 1e to all editions but to invest effort I need some incentive and real contrasting I am going to do a side game.

becmi is quick and straightforward so it has advantages that way as a side campaign…
Yup. Real life has started to once more impinge on the gaming schedule as all my friends have gotten vaxxed and Summer has arrived, but I've been playing 5E, OSE, and OD&D, and running a 5TD / B/X mashup, and I've loved having both old school and new school experiences.

BECM is a solid choice; it has IMO one design choice Moldvay & Cook got wrong- allowing M-Us and Elves to acquire more spells to add to their books beyond JUST the one they learn each time they level. Losing the cool spell acquisition fun for those classes was a rare misstep in B/X.

Remove ads

Remove ads