Worlds of Design: What Makes an RPG a Tabletop Hobby RPG?

What makes an RPG a tabletop hobby RPG? An RPG, as we talk about them in the hobby, is a human‑opposed co‑operative game. I describe some characteristics.

What makes an RPG a tabletop hobby RPG? An RPG, as we talk about them in the hobby, is a human‑opposed co‑operative game. I describe some characteristics.

View attachment 102280Picture sourced from Pixabay.​

I must be crazy to try to define/characterize a segment as large and diverse as this one in a few words. But here goes.

There are two ways to define something: 1) specific (as in a dictionary), but this usually leads to dispute even when what’s being defined is a single word; or 2) describe typical characteristics at length, even though not all of the group will have all of those characteristics. I’m trying the latter, but keeping it simple.

What makes an RPG a tabletop hobby RPG? An RPG, as we talk about them in the hobby, is a human‑opposed co‑operative game. There are four characteristics:

• progressive improvement,
  • co-operation, and
  • GMed adventure.
Not Just Role‑Playing

Technically, a role-playing game may be any game where you play a role – which is a LOT of games, tabletop and (especially) video. It includes some business and other training/education simulations. I’m interested in what makes a game a hobby RPG, a game played frequently by hobby game players.

What’s a “Pure” or “Real” Avatar?

• A single thing that represents the individual player, most commonly a humanoid
  • All the player’s actions in the game emanate from the avatar
  • The “real” avatar is fully subject to risk: if it dies/is destroyed, the player loses (at least temporarily)
An avatar could be a spaceship, a tank (World of Tanks) or other vehicle, even a pizza‑shape (Pac‑Man). In video games, the avatar typically respawns. In hobby RPGs, the avatar is a creature, usually human or humanoid. (For more detail, read "The most important design aspect of hobby RPGs is the Pure Avatar")

Avatars sometimes have a separate developer‑provided “history” and personality (Mario, Sonic). Sometimes an avatar is a blank slate so that the player can more easily infuse his/her own personality into the avatar.

Many board games use a sort-of avatar that is not the source of all action, nor does the game end if the avatar is killed or captured. That’s not an RPG.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller

Progressive Improvement

This can happen in many kinds of games. But in what we call RPGs, it’s some variety of:

• Gaining experience to rise in levels, and the levels give more capability (though the term “level” might not be used)
  • Gaining skills/feats (which give more capability)
  • Collecting magic items (which provide extra options, defense, offense, detection, etc.)
  • Acquiring money (which can be used for lots of things)
  • No doubt there are some RPGs with other ways to improve, for example if social standing is formally tracked
Does it need levels? No, but that's typically (conveniently) how increase in capability “without using loot” is expressed.

So a game where the hero(es) don’t progress in capability – or only a little – might be an interesting game, but it’s not an RPG. Many of you can think of board, card, or video games of this kind. Well-known heroes in a series of stand-alone novels rarely progress significantly in capability, for example James Bond.

You can have avatars without progression, you can have roles without “pure” avatars, you can have progression without avatars, but those are not what we categorize as RPGs.
Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” Amelia Earhart

Co-operation, Adventure, and a Gamemaster who Controls the Opposition

• Yes, opposition. It’s not a game (traditional sense) without opposition, though it might be a puzzle or a storytelling engine
  • I don’t see how there can be significant opposition without a GM/referee
  • If there’s no co-operation, if it’s player vs player, it’s more or less a board/card game
  • Or it’s a storytelling aid
The GM also allows the players to try to do “anything” that could be done in the current situation. Some regard this freedom-of-action as the defining aspect of RPGs, and it’s certainly vital; but think of an imposed-story RPG where the linear plot (typical of such stories) forces players to do just what the story calls for. That’s not freedom of action. Yet many still call this an RPG.

Where does this leave computer RPGs? There’s not exactly a GM, though the computer tries to be. There’s certainly not as much freedom of action as with a human GM.

I include adventure, because the stories generated by the original RPGs would be called adventures. In the 21st century we do have novels that don’t seem to have any particular point other than describing everyday life, and I think that’s leaked over into so-called RPGs as well. Whether adventure is necessary is a debatable point, though *I’m* certainly not interested in RPGs without adventure.

Some people won’t agree with this characterization. That’s inevitable. The purpose of such exercises (aside from encouraging people to think) is to narrow down something so that we can talk about it intelligibly. If the question “what’s an RPG?” tends to be answered with “whatever I think it is,” discussions become difficult.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Progressive improvement is NOT a defining characteristic of an 'RPG'. This is absolutely false. You can absolutely have an RPG that doesn't feature mechanical advancement as a thing. I've even run games like this before.

"What is an RPG?" is a meaningless question. An RPG is whenever a group of two or more people get together to play "Let's Pretend" using some form of codified rule system for handling disagreements about what happens next. This usually, but doesn't have to, involve a referee player. This usually, involves some form of avatar insertion for the players, but even this is not absolute. Player's avatars are usually working cooperatively towards goals but they don't have to be. No matter how many "requirements for an RPG" you make, there will always be exceptions. This is why my requirements above require only a conflict resolution system and people pretending to be someone or something else.

I've run Theater of the Mind games where there were no rulebooks at all. The codified rule system was "What Joe says happened, happened." The was no system of advancement. I think it would surprise the players of that game if they were told we were not playing an RPG.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Progressive improvement is NOT a defining characteristic of an 'RPG'. This is absolutely false. You can absolutely have an RPG that doesn't feature mechanical advancement as a thing. I've even run games like this before.

Yeah, he really hosed it on this one.

Cortex+ based, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. Doesn't have a progression mechanic, as such. It is totally a role-playing game. It lacks a progression mechanic, I think, as a business decision - they intended you to use Marvel pregenerated characters in their published adventures based on major stories in the Marvel comics universe. For that, you don't generally need a progression mechanic.

It also wasn't a great business decision - while most of the mechanics are good, the lack of a good character generation system was a major flaw. Folks may sometimes want to play their characters, but really, we like making our own heroes.

But that's an aside. Apparently, the author thinks he can define "RPG" for us. We'll see how that works out for him. :/

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And the dog piling commences in 3...2...1... :D

Nah. For one thing, that dead horse has been beaten. Lots of us think this is a bogus contention, and we told you why, and you ignored us. Whatever floats your boat, man.

For another thing, in comparison to the audacity of claiming to define what an RPG is for us, your posit isn't controversial enough to pile on.

Hussar

Legend

I think the general problem here is is we're trying to define a genre. And you can never define a drama by its borders. There will always be bleed in and out from other genres. It's like trying to define "forest". Just how many trees does it take to make a forest? You can't really say. But, we all know what a forest looks like. It's one of those semi-vague concepts that works in the middle but gets kinda tricky at the edges.

Saying that many RPG's have progressive improvement is hardly contentious. Saying that RPG's need progressive improvement to be an RPG would be false, but, as a general rule, saying that an RPG has progressive improvement generally is not a totally unfair thing to say. While there are RPG's that don't, there are many, many that do. And, certainly in most mainstream RPG's (say, any game with more than about 100k players) progressive improvement is a feature.
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] - disagreeing with you is not the same as ignoring you. But, fair enough. I'll let this horse lie. :D

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I think the general problem here is is we're trying to define a genre. And you can never define a drama by its borders. There will always be bleed in and out from other genres. It's like trying to define "forest". Just how many trees does it take to make a forest? You can't really say. But, we all know what a forest looks like. It's one of those semi-vague concepts that works in the middle but gets kinda tricky at the edges.

That is exactly why I cited the notion of a "family resemblance" before. In this situation there is a bundle of potential features, not all of which will appear in all cases. Furthermore, in a very real respect the idea of what makes up a game is essentially contestable:

So long as contestant users of any essentially contested concept believe, however deludedly, that their own use of it is the only one that can command honest and informed approval, they are likely to persist in the hope that they will ultimately persuade and convert all their opponents by logical means.

(It's quoted in the Wikipedia article but I have in fact read the original, though many years ago.)

If that doesn't describe many online arguments and attempts at providing the "definitive statement" I don't know what does!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sounds like the best plan then is to stick to the simplest definition possible - a genre of game in which one plays a role, usually in conjunction with other players. Or something like that. Everything else that’s been described are often but not always included in role playing games. There’s still value in a definition - it’s just that the more you try to note specifics, there are equally exceptions.

S'mon

Legend
"So a game where the hero(es) don’t progress in capability – or only a little – might be an interesting game, but it’s not an RPG."

Take that, Traveller! :p

Obviously tons of TTRPGs don't have significant advancement in PC capability, so I don't think this can be more than just a common feature.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the general problem here is is we're trying to define a genre.

Yes, but the article doesn't seem to get that.

Genre definition is generally inclusive - if you have enough of the tropes or characteristics, you belong, whether or not you also have other characteristics, or some common ones are missing. And a given example might easily be part of multiple genres, and that's fine. Many folks are not terribly comfortable with genre definitions, because they aren't clear cut, black and white things. They are fuzzy around the edges, and there's usually a lot of edge. Inclusive definitions often don't allow one to definitively *prove* correctness of a proposition.

The article, however, seems to be aiming at a more exclusive approach - if you have these specific things, you are an RPG, if you don't have them, you're not. And, it seem slike a lot of folks disagree both with the exclusivity, and with the choice of characteristics.

Hussar

Legend
Yes, but the article doesn't seem to get that.

Genre definition is generally inclusive - if you have enough of the tropes or characteristics, you belong, whether or not you also have other characteristics, or some common ones are missing. And a given example might easily be part of multiple genres, and that's fine. Many folks are not terribly comfortable with genre definitions, because they aren't clear cut, black and white things. They are fuzzy around the edges, and there's usually a lot of edge. Inclusive definitions often don't allow one to definitively *prove* correctness of a proposition.

The article, however, seems to be aiming at a more exclusive approach - if you have these specific things, you are an RPG, if you don't have them, you're not. And, it seem slike a lot of folks disagree both with the exclusivity, and with the choice of characteristics.

Yes, I'd pretty much agree with all of that. Like you said, genre is this very fuzzy mess. While you can usually point to something and say, yup, that's part of that genre, there are 15 other things that fit that genre but also fit other genres too, depending on your criteria.

Or, as an easy example, is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? :D

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads