D&D 5E Worlds Strongest Man, Martins Licis, plays Dungeons and Dragons!

pogre

Legend
I have told this story many times on here, but it may amuse you. Back in the mid-80s in our small town myself and a bunch of offensive linemen played D&D. It was just something the big guys on the football team did in my town. One year, 1984, when GenCon fell on a date prior to official practice starting we decided to go. It was at the Parkside campus back then.

We all got out of our vehicles and very quickly figured out we were not the "norm" for D&D players.

We played in the D&D official tournament and when we walked in our first DM said, "Let me guess - you guys all want to play the fighter."

I continued the tradition in college and got a lot of our offensive and defensive linemen playing. By then, 1986 or so, WFRP was new and what we played. We were talking about something to do with the game during a rest when our Head Coach came by - he asked the offensive line coach what in the heck he was teaching us.

I have found over the years there is a lot of cross-interest between big dudes lifting and gaming - so the WSM being into gaming does not surprise me.

darjr

I crit!
Probably.
Also though if you've ever seen him in a contest he's really smart and strategic about it. It even seems weird to me to say that, but he saves his strength for things he knows he'll win. But he'll change his strategy based on the event and scoring.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
FYI, he was beat by "the Mountain" at the most recent "World's Strongest Man" event at this year's Arnold Classic (Martin was 2nd I believe). Also, both "the Mountain" and Eddie Hall have dead-lifted more than Martin.
Martins Licis: "I played D&D!"
Hafthor "The Mountain" Bjornsson: "I played on Game of Thrones."

I think the nerd debate would also go to The Mountain.... B-)

darjr

I crit!
Martins Licis: "I played D&D!"
Hafthor "The Mountain" Bjornsson: "I played on Game of Thrones."

I think the nerd debate would also go to The Mountain.... B-)
The funniest thing is I think this exchange actually happened on one of their joint videos. But I might be imagining it.

Remove ads