• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst 5th party member

Which is the WORST 5th party member ?

• Barbarian

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Druid

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Monk

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • Paladin

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Sorceror

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Ranger

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Other or Explain Below.

Votes: 13 8.8%

Sanackranib

First Post
since its almost 1am here in So. Cal. the Sun must be almost up in Morgantown. at least we agree that the Monk is the most useless 5th wheel

S'mon

Legend
Nightfall said:
Smon,
that maybe so..but I can honestly say a normal 25 point buy monk isn't that useful if you already have other slots filled in.

I expect so - PCs IMC have higher stats & less starting magic than standard, so monks are quite viable. On Sunday the Monk disbelieved a sort of illusionary pit fiend that would have wiped out the party's two fighters if she'd failed her Will save or run away. With her 60' move she's also been very handy for taking down fleeing foes before they can escape (and return with reinforcements) - I have a tough campaign and letting bad guys get away often has serious consequences. She makes a useful backup fighter also - party of 9 only has 1 Cleric so they need to keep him well protected.

Numion

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
The monk is extremely limited in usefulness. The only thing he excels at is mage-killing, which means that most of the time he won't see much use.

Monks don't excel in mage-killing. Clerics do.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Though I believe an extra party member is always helpful, I voted other. Any of the NPC classes would be mostly a drain on resources though an Aristocrat, Adept or Expert might be able to help a little.

Seule

Explorer
Any character can be useful. Monks make great 5th party members, I've played in a game that had one, and it was very useful. You don't realize what you are missing until you play with one. The monk excels at several roles, including maneuverability, effectiveness without items (captured, etc.), stealth backed up with combat, trapspringing, you name it.
I voted 'other'. Once you have the bases covered, any additional character can help, including a duplicate of any core class. It all depends on what your party's tactics look like.
If I was playing in a game where evil ruled and we were the resistance, I'd want a party of mostly rogues, monks and rangers. Stealth all the way!

--Seule

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads