• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Worst D&D advice

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Rolling for ability scores is the only way to go, point buy is just an optional rules system for wimps! Also, everyone should roll using 5d4 (re-roll any results of 1)!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This part is actually true, per the PHB. (It still might be bad advice, depending on your style. But yep: rolling is RAW, and point-buy is an optional rule.)
I don't have my book handy, but I'm pretty sure both rolling and using the array are RAW, while point buy is optional.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I don't have my book handy, but I'm pretty sure both rolling and using the array are RAW, while point buy is optional.
Yep, that is correct. "If you want to save time or don't like the ide of randomly determining ability scores, you can use the following scores instead: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8." -Player's Handbook, pg. 13.

The Variant: Customizing Ability Scores (what folks like to call 'point buy') is also on page 13. It says "At your Dungeon Master's option, you can use this variant" instead.

Weiley31

Legend
That DMPC must also be a traitor, who will betray the party at the most inopportune moment and turn out to have been the BBEG all along.

And if the players get suspicious, make sure to stress how likable and trustworthy your DMPC is! Bonus points if she's a pretty, innocent girl!

But is really a succubus in disguise!

But of course!
But, but....she was always a pretty boy!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads