• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Worst D&D advice

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Whilst playing you should also try to DM at the same time...to help the DM
Whilst DM'ing you should also be a player at the same time...to help the players

Wizards should be the front line of defense. After all they have fireball.
In our first ever 3rd edition campaign, my sorcerer did end up having to stand in the front line occasionally. With high Dex, mage armour and shield (3.0 version) he had the highest AC in the party, and with a 5th level wand of burning hands he was one of the best damage dealers as well.

I wasn't happy about it though - his hit points were terrible and if I wanted to play a melee combatant I wouldn't have written "Sorcerer" on my character sheet. Tactics really wasn't our party's strong point and since the DM didn't allow buying and selling of magic items (breaking the unspoken assumption of the wealth by level guidelines that this wealth will actually consist of items that are useful!) we were starting at a disadvantage anyway.

So I guess my advice is that if you are playing an edition with an expected wealth per level, it doesn't matter what sort of magic items the characters have - if they weren't of general use to adventurers then the designers wouldn't have put them in the rulebook.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Whilst playing you should also try to DM at the same time...to help the DM
Whilst DM'ing you should also be a player at the same time...to help the players
DMPC's are a great idea, especially when they are high Charisma social characters, so you can do all the talking for the party! There's nothing like watching the DM roleplay with themselves for half an hour!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Tropes exist for a reason: they are fun.
Dump your Int as a barbarian, roleplay your Halfling as a child, have your bard seduce anything, play a druid as a stoner hippy, rangers should be loner who dont engage with the party and scream the name of your mystical attacks as a monk.

Trust me, everybody will be surprised and amused at so much refreshing novelty!

Stormonu

Legend
DMPC's are a great idea, especially when they are high Charisma social characters, so you can do all the talking for the party! There's nothing like watching the DM roleplay with themselves for half an hour!
That DMPC must also be a traitor, who will betray the party at the most inopportune moment and turn out to have been the BBEG all along.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That DMPC must also be a traitor, who will betray the party at the most inopportune moment and turn out to have been the BBEG all along.
And if the players get suspicious, make sure to stress how likable and trustworthy your DMPC is! Bonus points if she's a pretty, innocent girl!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads