• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst/Most Ridiculous Gaming Experience Within a Homebrew Campaign

Zinovia

Explorer
My only GURPS campaign

It was 1989 and I was invited to join a new GURPS campaign. Although I hadn't played GURPS before, I was excited at the chance to do so, and agreed to play. I made a gish type character (my favorite) who used a rapier and fire magic. We had a sneaky stabby type, and a tank, and then we had the spellsinger (cue suspense music.... duh duh DUHHHH).

She was a creative person (and still is!), and wrote songs and stories (some of which were published). Clearly she was good with words. The GM thought she was wonderful. Yes, that kind of wonderful. He was completely twitterpated.

So we begin our game, righting wrongs, gaining in skill, traveling around undoing the evil plans of the BBEG. No matter how stealthy, magical, or skilled in arms we were, the heroine of most every fight was the spellsinger. She could effectively use any power in the GURPS books so long as she could compose a poem that would elicit the desired effect. She actually did have to recite something for her magic to work, but usually that presented no problem. On occasion we'd have some funny unintended side effects, but as she gained in skill, the results were more predictable.

The campaign continued on, with the rogue, fighter, and myself playing support staff to Mary Sue the spellsinger (no that wasn't her character name). We were convenient victims to be saved by her, and were there to help in our own small ways as she grew into greatness. She raised an army to defend her nation from the BBEG who had it in for her character, and led that army to victory. We were truly in the presence of greatness! Weren't we lucky to be witness to such world-shaking events, right there on the sidelines where we could see all the action?! Truly I tremble at the thought that my character was on a first-name basis with such an important person, and even got to carry her stuff. ;)

Remove ads