• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst/Most Ridiculous Gaming Experience Within a Homebrew Campaign

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
I am a dedicated Homebrewer though I do enjoy high quality published settings. I am pretty picky in regards to what I would consider good but I think that most of us know terrible when we see it. I'd like you to write down some of the worst/most ridiculous homebrew campaign ideas you've ever experienced.

I'll start.

I was playing in a game with a pretty experienced DM but it was my first session with him so i didn't know what to expect. When I sat down at the table, things went from stupid to more stupid quickly.

Myself and the other PCs were forced to travel with a talking, hopping rock about the size of a man's fist. This rock was a jester who was petrified (and turned into a rock?!?) but was still ambulatory and could speak and annoy everyone. The stone was also indestuctable and had awesome magical power. If we offended it, it would interrupt spells in the middle of a fight and toss endless bad puns. It didn't have an AC, we couldn't strike it because it was always able to avoid blows.

The DMPC was a homosexual druid (not that there is anything wrong with that) who would hit on my character constantly. My character was a paladin who was quite uncomforatable with the whole thing but tried to laugh it off. The druid was the most powerful druid in the world and traveled with us as an advisor and helper on this important quest.

The DM told me that my character would have the chance to meet my god. I thought that it was nuts because I was only a 3rd level paladin and didn't do anything to earn such an honor...but it was his game so I tought I should just go with it.

After entering a barrow and killing some minor undead we encountered a hideous dwarf eagerly devouring the severed arm of a woman. The dwarf looked up from his meal and called my PC out by name telling me that he was my god. My character, believing it was a trick attacked te cannibal dwarf but I found himself unable to harm this dwarf who had awesome magical powers. The other PCs attempted to attack him and they were subsequently rendered powerless.

I stopped the game. I asked the DM what was going on. He calmed me down and then the cannibal dwarf revealed himself as my god whose true form was.....a hideous, dirty, cannibalistic dwarf who was also the god of justice. The DM explained to me that indeed my character sensed that he was in the presence of his god.

Well I let te adventure continue and this DM's homebrew of 10yrs was a land where over every hill a random encounter check had to be made to see if we encountered hill giants and that the other NPCs we met were Higgerdoo the elven prince along with Barbatine and Barbantos the barbarian brothers.

The whole experience was made more horrible because the DM thought this was a "serious" campaign and apparently too great pleasure in the setting that he had taken such time to build. I was disgusted and never played in that game again.

Wyrmshadows

Last edited:

WarlockLord

First Post
Two words: "Brokeback Mountains." While I admit I started this (not making fun of gays, just the melodramatic annyoingness and media hype), it ballooned out of control.

Vorput

First Post
Dude, I don't know what you're talking about!

That sounds like the greatest campaign ever!!

I need a God-like talking rock!!!

Oni

First Post
That's awesome....you know in a horrible sort of way. :)

You may have killed your own thread I'm not sure what can follow that.

Treebore

First Post
Lets see, the guy had a homebrew, but no maps, no write ups, it was all in his head.

One of his most annoying rules was the opponents had shared HP's. So if you were fighting 5 15 HD dinosaurs with 100 HP each none of them dropped until 500 HP of damage was dealt.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I've had some very bad DM's, but, whoa, that's just... bad.

DMPC's with six guns that could kill your PC in under a round - I've had that.

Once saw a player spend three sessions trying to work out how to rob the jewel merchant in Keep on the Borderlands, nearly four weeks of real time, down to the point of drawing his own maps. Ocean's 11 years before the movie. Only to have the jewel merchant leave town unexpectedly the night before the heist. No warning, no reason. Just left.

Had one DM give my paladin a big cat instead of a paladin's warhorse, despite the fact that I'd specifically quested for a horse and stated repeatedly that I was really looking forward to having that horse.

Like I say, I got nothing on Wyrmshadows.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I've had some very bad DM's, but, whoa, that's just... bad.

DMPC's with six guns that could kill your PC in under a round - I've had that.

Once saw a player spend three sessions trying to work out how to rob the jewel merchant in Keep on the Borderlands, nearly four weeks of real time, down to the point of drawing his own maps. Ocean's 11 years before the movie. Only to have the jewel merchant leave town unexpectedly the night before the heist. No warning, no reason. Just left.

Had one DM give my paladin a big cat instead of a paladin's warhorse, despite the fact that I'd specifically quested for a horse and stated repeatedly that I was really looking forward to having that horse.

Like I say, I got nothing on Wyrmshadows.

Wycen

Explorer
It was a World of Darkness game. Before they said you couldn't be a vampire/werewolf mage.

We saved earth from Ming the Merciless and his flying comet/planet/fortress by moving earth so he wouldn't smash into us.

I'm guessing the GM girlfriend phenomenon doesn't count?

Gailbraithe

First Post
I've seen a few DMs tout their amazingly realistic world with the Shogunate Japan analog squeezed between the Old Kingdom Egypt analog and the Arthurian England analog, and always had a chuckle at that. But that has been the worst of it when it comes to homebrew campaigns.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Well, had one whose world was pretty ok, but who tended to give out absolutely wacko magic items. Like, all wizards are nuts and love to produce stuff like that. Like eggs that made you fly when you broke them on a pan. Or the notorious "club in the sack", which came with a fitting scrying globe. You know, so you could say "beat that guy to death" and then watch using the globe from the tavern, drinking with your friends...
And don´t get me started on the carriage with radar.

Remove ads