WoT Book 11: Knife of Dreams

iwatt

First Post
Rackhir said:
DUOH! I'm sorry I forgot that nothing happening is considered a spoiler for Jordan novels.

LOL

I would have said that was a harsh judgement until after I finished book 10 ;) . I've been rereading this series in preparation for KoD. Reading the Shadow Rising took me about a day in a half (weekend). The Fires of Heaven one day (sick in bed). CoT..... about a month ;) , I kid you not.

But I'm a fan. The fact that I keep been entertained by re-reading Jordan's books (and I'm not the only one) means he's doing something right.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Roadkill101 said:
I almost put the first book down because it seemed to start off so slowly (when compared to faster action paced stories of the sci-fi/fantasy genre). In hindsight as a gamer, I now really appreciate the slow start as a good example of how to build a campaign around 0 level characters.

Absolutely! This was exactly what I went for when I started planning my campaign world. The PCs (with a few exceptions) all started out as teenagers just becoming their culture's version of legal adults. 0 level peons about to get rudely awakened by the Real World outside their sheltered village.
Unfortunately some of the slow build-up had to be sacrificed in the interest of getting a few sessions in before people moved away/left for college.

Last edited:

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
because when a new release is scheduled I begin with book one all over again (which is badly falling apart now), and partly because I need something to read while waiting on one of several favorite authors to release something new. And then reread the current latest release through at least another two times by itself.

WOW!
I admire your decication, Roadkill.
After Book 5, I opted to stop reading the books as they come out, and decidedd that when the final book comes out, I'll try to trudge through the entire series at once. I have too many other books and DVD's to be re-reading something of that magnitude.

Rackhir

Explorer
iwatt said:
LOL

I would have said that was a harsh judgement until after I finished book 10 ;) . I've been rereading this series in preparation for KoD. Reading the Shadow Rising took me about a day in a half (weekend). The Fires of Heaven one day (sick in bed). CoT..... about a month ;) , I kid you not.

But I'm a fan. The fact that I keep been entertained by re-reading Jordan's books (and I'm not the only one) means he's doing something right.

Well stuff does actually happen in the last 200 pages or so, though not quite as much as I'd been expecting. Personally I'm glad I read it at the book store rather than spending the money for it.

drothgery

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
WOW!
I admire your decication, Roadkill.
After Book 5, I opted to stop reading the books as they come out, and decidedd that when the final book comes out, I'll try to trudge through the entire series at once. I have too many other books and DVD's to be re-reading something of that magnitude.

KoD's actually the only book that I didn't do a complete re-read in advance of (though I started the series about the time Lord of Chaos came out), and that's mostly because I started too late (and also because I really disliked Crossroads of Twilight, so I didn't want it to be the last Wheel of Time in my mind for very long), and was only a few hundred pages into Lord of Chaos when my copy showed up. I'm still going to finish the re-read, though; I'll take another stab at KoD when I'm done (mostly to make notes for my Power Strengths page).

Orius

Legend
Roadkill101 said:
I almost put the first book down because it seemed to start off so slowly (when compared to faster action paced stories of the sci-fi/fantasy genre). In hindsight as a gamer, I now really appreciate the slow start as a good example of how to build a campaign around 0 level characters.

Isn't that the truth. In the first book, the characters pretty much run from most of the threats they face. As you progress through the series, though they get better and better at facing threats. You see Rand, Mat and Perrin fighting of Trollocs more often, and by Book 5, they're starting to whack Myrrdraal without breaking much of a sweat. :D

You got the same thing happening with the girls, particularly when we're presented with Egwene's POV. In the first book, she can barely sense the Source. As the series progresses, we see her becoming more powerful and capable.

Aaron L

Hero
aanJake said:
Anyway... any thoughts on who killed Asmodean?

Slayer killed Asmodean.

I wish I wasnt broke! I NEED the book. I wish the series would keeo gong for many more books, it's almost like a comic book, and there will be another to look forward too.

Last edited:

Remove ads