WotBS [WotBS] 5ed. still a thing?

Tormyr

Adventurer
Please add a changelog of some kind in the item description or even just as a discussion post. It would be nice to know what the updates are.
(Also, you really should change the "Find more War of the Burning Sky here." links in all the 5e versions of the supplements to the drivethrurpg urls. Having to redirect from rpgnow on every product, from a link ON that product, gets tedious very quickly!)
Here is the errata document.

Hey Tormyr,

Thanks again for all of your work. It's brought one of my favorite adventure paths back to life!

I know everything is a bit crazy right now, but do you have any status updates for The Festival of Dreams?

Tormyr

Adventurer
Here you go!

Nod_Hero

Explorer
Here you go!

YAY!
I always wait to get a physical copy bundle so Please drop a note when the softcover is available for order!

DarkRevenant

Villager
I'm really looking forward to running that Vorax-Hul fight and that big colossus battle! My group just needs to get through the Scourge Fortress first... Though I have a few comments:

Does the Mask of Vorax-Hul have spellcasting components? I imagine it would be fairly difficult for a mask to perform somatic components, though I suppose verbal components would be plausible through the aid of a magical boombox.
It seems like the School of War map is missing.
Metamorphosis' Festival-expanded powers and hero-embiggening death boon don't appear to be present, although they're indirectly referenced earlier in the text.
The Colossus doesn't have AOE damage on its melee attacks (which it did in 3.5), although the third paragraph on page 32 references hitting multiple heroes with a melee attack.
Paragraph three and four on the same page reference swallowing, which the Colossus isn't capable of doing.

Regarding the missing map, adventure 9 was in production in 2007 when WotC announced 4th edition, which almost completely dried up our sales of the 3rd edition adventures. The company was a bit too lean at the time, and so we fell behind schedule and skipped some maps and illustrations I'd have wanted otherwise. I guess they didn't consider getting one for the 5e version.

The intent in 3.5 was for the inquisitor liches to be able to cast spells; they still have functional arms and mouths, despite being lashed together into a makeshift mask for a giant dragon.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Regarding the missing map, adventure 9 was in production in 2007 when WotC announced 4th edition, which almost completely dried up our sales of the 3rd edition adventures. The company was a bit too lean at the time, and so we fell behind schedule and skipped some maps and illustrations I'd have wanted otherwise. I guess they didn't consider getting one for the 5e version.

The intent in 3.5 was for the inquisitor liches to be able to cast spells; they still have functional arms and mouths, despite being lashed together into a makeshift mask for a giant dragon.

The map is in the omnibus edition, which has been my primary source. I just dropped the ball.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I'm really looking forward to running that Vorax-Hul fight and that big colossus battle! My group just needs to get through the Scourge Fortress first... Though I have a few comments:

Does the Mask of Vorax-Hul have spellcasting components? I imagine it would be fairly difficult for a mask to perform somatic components, though I suppose verbal components would be plausible through the aid of a magical boombox.
It seems like the School of War map is missing.
Metamorphosis' Festival-expanded powers and hero-embiggening death boon don't appear to be present, although they're indirectly referenced earlier in the text.
The Colossus doesn't have AOE damage on its melee attacks (which it did in 3.5), although the third paragraph on page 32 references hitting multiple heroes with a melee attack.
Paragraph three and four on the same page reference swallowing, which the Colossus isn't capable of doing.

First of all, I offer my apologies for missing these items. This was a big chapter with a lot of mechanical changes that still needed to be true to the original story, and several things unfortunately slipped through. I will get an update to Russ for him to post ASAP.

School of War Map. Thanks for catching this and the other missing items. The map is the same as in chapter 1 if you need a reference in the meantime.

Colossus Swallow. This was supposed to be in there. It was not added at first as I was working through how to balance it, and it did not get added later.

Colossus AoE Melee. The burst of fire referenced in the text will be removed. The only AoE "melee" attack is the stomp.

These items are "working as intended."

Mask of Vorax-Hul. Masks are the spellcasting focus of the inquisitors. Here, the undead inquisitors are part of the mask and essentially are their own spellcasting focus.

Metamorphosis' Expanded Powers. The stat block only includes what she can do for the entire adventure. The festival powers are explained during the festival to help keep them separate from the rest of the adventure. Don't feel the need to be too rigid with the interpretations of the suggestions here, either. If a heroes' request feels like it would make sense for a master of transmutation, go for it.

Remove ads