D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Perhaps. I have not read KotE or much of the WoD material so I completely yield to the fact that you are probably right in that regard. My exposure has been playing the game, read a few sourcebooks and for a decade was involved in Vtes. I loved the weaving of our own history with that of the kindred - was not offended in the least - if anything I devoured the mythos when I took the opportunity marvelling in the imagination.
Also I guess I am more used to having my culture being shredded, appropriated and the like - that I find many attempts to now curb the 'minority' from being offended an overblown exercise in who is more sensitive/offended.
All one has to do is look at how RW religions are treated.

What many forget is that by bringing Ravnos, Assamite, Tzimisce, Settites and the others into the fold they allowed many of us to delve into the RW history of these people, where we otherwise would have not had any exposure. When I was thinking of running a RW dracula storyline, I went to the local university library and took out several books on Bulgarian and Romanian history. There are positives, but hey people like to rage.

Yeah, i get that. And it was the setting that sold me on the whole line too. And to be honest, I think White Wolf (when they were originally creating some of the problematic stuff) were making a genuine attempt to be inclusive, in a way, by expanding their worldview beyond America. They didn't do a wonderful job of it in many places (i remember rolling my eyes so hard i detached a retina at basically every appearance of Australia in a WoD gameline, cos it was inevitably so terribly done...) but I believe their hearts were mostly in the right place. Even when it came to Kindred of the East (though I've never read 'WoD: Gypsies' so i can't comment on that one)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
WotC could do is to make sure if they replace or update their PDF files that they're not lower quality, I've had versions of PDFs for 2nd edition that were mostly usable, replaced with files that either lost their optical character recognition (OCR) or had it severely reduced. Making it completely unusable, that's really not good enough.

One clear thing they could do is warn a person if a file isn't going to be screen reader friendly. I've asked OBS and WoTC to do this, oddly those requests are met with silence. Recently, I even sent a message to OBS support with a list of WotC classic titles I wanted to buy, but had no idea if they were screen reader friendly, they said they'd contact the publisher and get back to me... I don't expect to get an answer this time either.

I've always known that DM's Guild community content was a risky thing to buy, so I tend to avoid it for the most part. No offense to anyone who creates it, but if I have been burnt many times by community content with the text in the PDF is just an image rather than true text that can be selected and read.
I do not know if anyone else has answered your post, but I suspect you are running into a DRM policy issue. (DRM= Digital Rights management) If a product can be OCR'ed then the OCR output can be dumped into a separate file and distributed freely breaking WoTC's DRM. At least if my understanding of what your screen reader application is doing is correct. That is, it is, OCR processing the original test and converting to speech.

Sounds like, what you need is a DRM compatible pdf reader that does speech output.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I don’t think the French part is the problem, it’s the association with the character from Hunchback. I’d be down for changing the name, but “[New Name]’s guide to the planes” wouldn’t have the benefit of being recognizable to folks familiar with Ravenloft.

It isn't a French name, Esmeralda is a Spanish name, and Esmerelda is a weird fantastic version of it. BTW, the Esmeralda name in the Hunchback of Notre Dame it's also a stereotype, but an old one: Victor Hugo named the character Esmeralda, as it's a Spanish name and sounded exotic, and he wanted the Roma girl to be definitively exotic...

It isn't a French name, Esmeralda is a Spanish name, and Esmerelda is a weird fantastic version of it. BTW, the Esmeralda name in the Hunchback of Notre Dame it's also a stereotype, but an old one: Victor Hugo named the character Esmeralda, as it's a Spanish name and sounded exotic, and he wanted the Roma girl to be definitively exotic...
She is portrayed as a victim of racial predudice in that book though.

It's also the full first name of Granny Weatherwax.

BnaaUK

Explorer
I do not know if anyone else has answered your post, but I suspect you are running into a DRM policy issue. (DRM= Digital Rights management) If a product can be OCR'ed then the OCR output can be dumped into a separate file and distributed freely breaking WoTC's DRM. At least if my understanding of what your screen reader application is doing is correct. That is, it is, OCR processing the original test and converting to speech.

Sounds like, what you need is a DRM compatible pdf reader that does speech output.

No, with a well designed PDF, I can generally use a screen reader. If the PDF is poorly put together and had not been OCR'd at all (the Dragonlance Age of Mortals from 3.5 for example) then you can do nothing with it. The PDF is just a collection of scanned images without the text being embedded. Even using ClaroPDF, you cannot do anything. You're right that the password protection does prevent me running a OCR program on the PDF myself (though that has issues too—but it is doable). Occasionally, with some permissions it does become harder to use a PDF, but I've only really encountered that with material that's pretty sensitive.

A shining star here is Kobold Press because they don't do anything to hinder accessibility with their products. Hell, I can even delete pages if I want with their PDFs.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Simple sanity check:

Ask yourself the question if you think plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon are necessary to exist to represent diversity or are kinda jarring and don't make sense in universe.

Well, let me answer for me before, I find rad the idea of plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon.
The making sense part makes me wonder, which part doesn't make sense for you ?

• A plate clad girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad gnome slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad gnome girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A pink haired girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad pink haired girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
She is portrayed as a victim of racial predudice in that book though.

Very true, her perceived exotisme and the associated prejudice are the key of the book: racism, discrimination, xenofobia, fetishism, you have it all in Notre Dame de Paris. Hugo was a great writer with a very modern mindset.

It's also the full first name of Granny Weatherwax.

Indeed!!

Var

Explorer
Well, let me answer for me before, I find rad the idea of plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon.
The making sense part makes me wonder, which part doesn't make sense for you ?

• A plate clad girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad gnome slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad gnome girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A pink haired girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
  • A plate clad pink haired girl slugging it out with a Dragon, sense or not?
Looks like you didn't quite get the point there.

The point being that everything in your fantasy sandbox makes exactly as much sense as you want to.
If you want to create a believable immersive world that's not gonna work well for the goal you set for yourself.
If you want more of an arcade style game experience where the players don't really RP much and play the game as a game it's perfectly alright.

If you want to spend the time to flesh out the motivations of every mook in your universe more power to you.
If you need the Orcs in your campaign to be the mindless beats to slay and don't want to spend a second worrying about their motives and morals, just don't and roll Initiative.

Generally speaking a fantasy world with the expected amount of violence for it to be one of the three pillars would have more pressing things to worry about for the PCs than this thread suggests.
Life is tough if you're a DnD peasant, blaming your crops failing on the Elves is a coping mechanism of sorts. A racist coping mechanism, but one that makes perfect sense in that particular game. More than the PCs pillaging and looting their way to level 5.

Candledeep is an excluisive book club and you can't just access knowledge by clicking on a link in DnD.
The pink hair was kind of a bait no one took (as well as a WoW reference, so there is that). How would a DnD character get their hand on elusive pink dye? Assuming pink is an unlikely candidate for natural hair color even for Gnomes.

Ostensibly positive stereotypes are still harmful.

WOD:Gypsies is the poster-child for this. The intention of the author is clearly "Make these people awesome, even superhuman, and show all the negative stereotypes are actually heroic fighting of supernatural evil, and that racism against them is literally a quasi-magical effect caused by how much more awesomer and genetically moral (I am not joking, sadly) they are than normal humans!". But the actual effect is rolling around in every possible stereotype, excusing racism and persecution as a quasi-magical effect, and treating an oppressed group of humans as only quasi-human. It's just like... wow.

Even if they had only doubled-down on more cleanly positive stuff, you're still treating them as "separate from humanity". Which has been historically how groups like the Romany were treated.

I mean, in 2E and 3E the Vistani were non-human. Which is like, not great. They were trying to do a similar thing to WOD:Gypsies, but take a real-world human race's stereotypical traits and cultural style, retain their human appearance and behaviour, yet make them "not humans" (even if it's to make them superhumans), that is... it's not good. I mean is it racist? Yeah, pretty much it is. It may not be intended harmfully, but it's creepy, supporting stereotypes and I'm not even going to go into how many alarm bells it would have rung if they'd tried to do the same with almost any other oppressed minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads