D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This stuff about inclusiveness is just lip service when you get people who are actually excluded from the game because of their disabilities.

Honnest question: what could WotC do to improve your enjoyment of their game line and make them more accessible to person with varying disabilities?

Stuff from the DMguild could be tricky, because its made by individuals and managed through OBS, but I'd like to hear what would be, like, the first steps for WotC to make you feel more welcomed by the game?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
My problem with racial ability score modifiers has always been (being a straight white male) that I think they're bad game design. They force an unnecessary choice between mechanics and concept. Same with any racial bonus that has synergy with class mechanics. The whole "what's the best race for class X?" question adds nothing to the game.
I agree. This system forces races into niches.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I agree. This system forces races into niches.

If fantasy races don’t have niches You also cannot play against type.

Every group is equally skilled in the same areas and are on average as strong smart as slow as anyone else? What is the choice of race, species or folk even about.

Really, when you cannot have a game with meaningful choices, you have gone too far.

Important note: all bonuses are the same for all humans! The point of dwarves and elves is that they differ from humans.

When we get to the point that we cannot generalize that most dwarves are tough or most elves quick what do we have?

Forget that you can choose to raise strength or charisma or constitution instead of dex over your career...

Kurotowa

Legend
D&D is a fantasy world. It isn't real.

See, here's your mistake. D&D is a game of storytelling and it's as real as any story. People will be inspired by it, people will absorb moral lessons from it, people will model their aspirations on the heroes it presents to them. Stories may be imaginary but that doesn't make them any less powerful. Just google around for all the stories about people being inspired by Marvel comics heroes to try to be better, or look at the political movements that are driven by the only loosely factual stories they tell of their heroes and martyrs.

Just because something is a story doesn't mean it has zero weight and value, incapable of either good or ill. Stories are what drive people to act, and that drive is what can have a huge impact.

G

Guest 6801328

If fantasy races don’t have niches You also cannot play against type.

Every group is equally skilled in the same areas and are on average as strong smart as slow as anyone else? What is the choice of race, species or folk even about.

Really, when you cannot have a game with meaningful choices, you have gone too far.

Important note: all bonuses are the same for all humans! The point of dwarves and elves is that they differ from humans.

When we get to the point that we cannot generalize that most dwarves are tough or most elves quick what do we have?

Forget that you can choose to raise strength or charisma or constitution instead of dex over your career...

Man, we're just talking about ability score modifiers.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

Well....Even without the racial ASI, the dwarves still have +1 HP per level, resistance to poison, armor proficiency etc to mark the point that they are resilient.

The elves still have their bow and +5 speed with easier stealth to mark they are graceful hunters etc.

The ASI themselves does not add much to reinforce the description of a race, in a game where said abilities can increase by 2 every 4 levels.

A party still have varying abilities to make a well-rounded group, even without +2 in a stat!

BnaaUK

Explorer
Honnest question: what could WotC do to improve your enjoyment of their game line and make them more accessible to person with varying disabilities?

Stuff from the DMguild could be tricky, because its made by individuals and managed through OBS, but I'd like to hear what would be, like, the first steps for WotC to make you feel more welcomed by the game?

WotC could do is to make sure if they replace or update their PDF files that they're not lower quality, I've had versions of PDFs for 2nd edition that were mostly usable, replaced with files that either lost their optical character recognition (OCR) or had it severely reduced. Making it completely unusable, that's really not good enough.

One clear thing they could do is warn a person if a file isn't going to be screen reader friendly. I've asked OBS and WoTC to do this, oddly those requests are met with silence. Recently, I even sent a message to OBS support with a list of WotC classic titles I wanted to buy, but had no idea if they were screen reader friendly, they said they'd contact the publisher and get back to me... I don't expect to get an answer this time either.

I've always known that DM's Guild community content was a risky thing to buy, so I tend to avoid it for the most part. No offense to anyone who creates it, but if I have been burnt many times by community content with the text in the PDF is just an image rather than true text that can be selected and read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads