D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as...

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Setting books are self isolating, each having their own distinct Fandom, admittedly with some overlap, as there is between the four up coming products. So no, no burnout from this anymore then MtG is burning out from visiting 7 different settings in 2 year.

I couldn't disagree more; most of 5E players are completely new to all of these settings, so the fandoms of older settings are largely irrelevant ot new sales.

And MTG is not a good comparison; although each card set is sometimes set on one plane, they're selling a theme and art style as opposed to a "setting." They need to constantly change themes and art to remain fresh, and do so every quarter.

If WotC released 3 setting books, one every month for three months, there's going to be more than a few DMs who choose to purchase only the setting that is most interesting to them. Compared to an adventure, monster book, and one setting, which they might pick up all three (if they got the $).

I really now have 2 questions.

1. Would the Domains of Delight be a separate setting or part of Ravenloft?

2. Does the SCAG count as a Campaign Book as far as WotC sees it?

I didn't consider the SCAG such a book, but it appears WotC did.

I'm leaning towards the Domains of Delight (which I'm calling DoD for now) a new setting inspired by Ravenloft as they don't seem to share the horror genre I think.

Which makes it to be fairly certain that the return visit setting book is for the Forgotten Realms because they rest of the settings are easily eliminated because they don't need updating right now, FR does.

1. Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven won't be visited again for 3-4 years at minimum MtG side, so not alot of new lore coming. Plus all a pretty new.

2. That leaves Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. Ravenloft JUST got a book so it's out. Eberron is a slim possiblity, but Eberron is static, the most important parts, the mechanics have been updated, the lore only changes slightly between editions, and the core continent of the setting is well detailed, so Eberron fans are satisfied.

FR fans found the SCAG disappointing, it was too small, didn't even have a proper map of Faerun, the mechanics were broken, and the lore is out of date were we even got lore, FR is a living setting, not static, so yeah I feel 95% certain it's an FR setting book. The other 5% is Domains of Delight if they weirdly tie it into Ravenloft, but I doubt it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I couldn't disagree more; most of 5E players are completely new to all of these settings, so the fandoms of older settings are largely irrelevant ot new sales.

And MTG is not a good comparison; although each card set is sometimes set on one plane, they're selling a theme and art style as opposed to a "setting." They need to constantly change themes and art to remain fresh, and do so every quarter.

If WotC released 3 setting books, one every month for three months, there's going to be more than a few DMs who choose to purchase only the setting that is most interesting to them. Compared to an adventure, monster book, and one setting, which they might pick up all three (if they got the $).

Nah. It's only burnout if player or DM buys them all.
I predicted a while ago, it would be impossible for WOTC to keep up a hype train and quality high enough to get a lot of people to keep buying setting books. Even with sprinkling subclasses in them. Good setting books require some level of depth into a theme and everyone will have different levels of interest in each theme.

There are only so many Ravelofts out there.

I could have sworn early on in 5e, we were told not to expect many setting books, as that fractured the fanbase and made it hard to support.....now, maybe we don't get much setting support?

Setting books by themselves do not do that, it is all the extra content to support them that was the problem. If you get four settings and then get 6-8 supplements and modules each to support them, there will be fracturing and cannibalizing of sales and burnout of players. WotC is not pushing out a lot, or any, supporting content for anything other then the Realms, so several setting books won't hurt, and probably sell to home brew DMs, to use the good pieces in their own worlds.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Setting books by themselves do not do that, it is all the extra content to support them that was the problem. If you get four settings and then get 6-8 supplements and modules each to support them, there will be fracturing and cannibalizing of sales and burnout of players. WotC is not pushing out a lot, or any, supporting content for anything other then the Realms, so several setting books won't hurt, and probably sell to home brew DMs, to use the good pieces in their own worlds.
Which is kind of what I was trying (not well) to say in the last part.....we might be getting settings, but we shouldn't expect much WotC support for them...

elZombie

Villager
I'm pleased with the possibilities for two "brand new D&D" settings. Always nice to see (possibly) fresh ideas. A new setting designed with 5E and "modern gaming" (whatever that means) in mind could be very interesting. Theros was a nice book, for example.
I also lack the general nostalgia/wish for old modules (I started with 2E, the Realms and homebrews, in early 2000) and the more niche old settings, so to say (Planescape, Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Birthright etc.), so I'm on the new settings team. I'd like to see what they'd do with Dark Sun, though (except I don't care about a full psionic class; I think it works just fine as wild talents and no "formal training"; I might be wrong, but I still don't care about a full psionic class).

As for revisiting a setting, I'd guess it's a Dalelands & Co. (Elminster's Guide to), perhaps with an AP. It once was one of the main supplements of the Realms, after all. Tons of lore to update.
I'd think the folks at Critical Role would want to publish a new setting book by themselves, with their own company. They sure have the fan base to do so. That would leave Greyhawk (Saltmarsh) and Eberron, I guess. The latter has a good support on DM's Guild. Keith Baker released Exploring Eberron last year, with a lot of new content. They might want to make another printed book for that setting, anyway. Saltmarsh makes me think they have plans for Greyhawk, so, maybe. (Side note: I like the setting and run games there in 5E, works just fine).

Remove ads

Remove ads