D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as...

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

They have said not doing that, but I would be fine with it. I'm already moving over to mostly online, there are far too many heavy rulebooks for me to lug around these days.
Good to hear they're not doing it - I primarily buy digital products, but the issue is, if something is digital only, the moment support ceases for it, it's gone, and if it's an app or website, you don't even have a PDF of it. So I'm against that.

There are almost certainly going to be changes, but the question is whether they'll be minimal (like Eberron) or nearly total (like Ravenloft). I would hope for the former, but now that the line's been crossed, I expect the latter (for Planescape and any other classic setting).

I advise avid fans of the old settings to keep their expectations low for any revival; it's a good way to avoid disappointment.
Exactly. And frankly, if Greenwood and Baker weren't around still, I'd expect Forgotten Realms and Eberron to have undergone radical surgery too.

Exactly. And frankly, if Greenwood and Baker weren't around still, I'd expect Forgotten Realms and Eberron to have undergone radical surgery too.
The FR has undergone radical surgery under WotC. Twice. I'm not sure why you think Greenwood, who doesn't control the setting, being "around" would stop that in future. Did you sleep through 4E and 5E reversing that lol? Made the Time of Troubles look like a walk in the park.

And what is it you think they'd do to Eberron? It's a WotC-designed and approved setting, that fits decently with the needs and themes of modern D&D (like its good-guy orcs).

I love the idea of new-brand settings. Maybe it is something based in Asian cultures.

We shouldn't worry about the return of the most popular lines. If they don't come back yet it is because these need more time for a better work. Would you rather sooner or better?

A new format could be something like collectables cards with microchip or NFC figures (Spyro Skylanders, Disney Infitniy, LEGO Dimensions, Ninento Amiboo). You buy a figure and this has a pdf, but also skins for Roblox avatrs, or skins for Fortnite.

Sometimes I think Hasbro really wants an adaptation of the Dragonlance novels, but this time a serie for a streaming service. The question is where, for Netflix, Paramount+ or Disney+.

Sometimes I think Hasbro really wants an adaptation of the Dragonlance novels, but this time a serie for a streaming service. The question is where, for Netflix, Paramount+ or Disney+.
That is absolutely not going to happen.

Dragonlance is about a bunch of white people, one whom, as a bonus, dresses up and acts like a Native American, despite being a pale-skinned blonde, and a token, and stereotyped Native American dude, together with some white-as-hell demihumans, and the "main character", Tanis, has his core arc about how because he's mixed-race, his life sucks. In a setting where the only black people are jolly pirates called Sea Barbarians, asian people don't even exist, and even the demi-humans are all pale-skinned and mid-light-haired. As a bonus, all the "good" women are essentially more passive than the "bad" ones, sometimes severely so.

On top of that, the story in the original Chronicles, is a really dull and straightforward one, improved only by some brief excitement with dragonback-fighting and the like.

You'd have to drastically re-work things, like, make some of the characters non-white, change the personalities of various characters, and then what? You've got a really generic fantasy setting, and you've offended both the authors (because they would be offended, we've seen Hickman's posts on Twitter), and likely most of the "fanbase" (who are 40-50+ years old anyway). Not a great starting point.
A new format could be something like collectables cards with microchip or NFC figures (Spyro Skylanders, Disney Infitniy, LEGO Dimensions, Ninento Amiboo). You buy a figure and this has a pdf, but also skins for Roblox avatrs, or skins for Fortnite.
The NFC figurine market died like two+ years ago dude. Only Amiibos are still going. Literally all three of the others you mentioned have been shut down. Amiibos are only still going because they're mostly bought by collectors for the figures.

Aldarc

Legend
Could be returning to Nentir Vale. It’s not really a “classic” setting.

But yea I think he means returning to something they’ve done in 5e. Which to me means Critical Roles world or Forgotten Realms.
Don't let Mearls touch it! Get Rich Baker and James Wyatt!

Don't let Mearls touch it! Get Rich Baker and James Wyatt!
Given he's "Franchise Creative Director", I don't think there's any chance he's going to be writing books or really directly influencing products much. He's probably more involved with coordinating stuff like the D&D movies, games, etc.

As for the returning setting, whilst people think the FR is likely, I actually suspect Exandria is slightly more likely. As has been pointed out, there's a new season of Critical Role coming (after the current side-venture), and that may well feature a new continent or the like - and if Matt Mercer has pre-written that area, WotC could be publishing it. That said it's close to 50/50 in my mind between FR and Exandria. Nentir Vale would be a classic setting rather than returning, and I think the odds of it making the cut with Planescape, Spelljammer, Birthright, Greyhawk (which WotC is inexplicably obsessed with), and so on in the mix is less than 1%.

Aldarc

Legend
Given he's "Franchise Creative Director", I don't think there's any chance he's going to be writing books or really directly influencing products much. He's probably more involved with coordinating stuff like the D&D movies, games, etc.

As for the returning setting, whilst people think the FR is likely, I actually suspect Exandria is slightly more likely. As has been pointed out, there's a new season of Critical Role coming (after the current side-venture), and that may well feature a new continent or the like - and if Matt Mercer has pre-written that area, WotC could be publishing it. That said it's close to 50/50 in my mind between FR and Exandria. Nentir Vale would be a classic setting rather than returning, and I think the odds of it making the cut with Planescape, Spelljammer, Birthright, Greyhawk (which WotC is inexplicably obsessed with), and so on in the mix is less than 1%.
I highly doubt it either, but I still have opinions on the creative team I'd prefer to handle the setting.

Dragonlance is about a bunch of white people, one whom, as a bonus, dresses up and acts like a Native American, despite being a pale-skinned blonde, and a token, and stereotyped Native American dude, together with some white-as-hell demihumans, and the "main character", Tanis, has his core arc about how because he's mixed-race, his life sucks.
This is really only the art though. If you removed Ellmore's art you could completely redesign the main characters to be diverse and representative without altering a word of text.

Remove ads

Remove ads