D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

Last edited:

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Yes! Psionics!

I also loved Dark Sun for having psionics as a core function of the setting rather than something that was sort of tacked on. Making that a core part of the identity of the setting made it so different for me from anywhere else. Sorcerers and wizards are commonplace in most settings and rare on Athas, largely replaced by psionicists.

I loved that so much!

Crazy races, psionics, focus on survival, dark fantasy aesthetic, plus stronger and more dangerous monsters? Loved it to pieces.
It was psionics that drew me to investigating Dark Sun when I heard they were a big part of it, as I've always enjoyed psionics (despite them always feeling poorly tacked on systems, for the most part). Once I read more about it (the setting), I quickly decided it not worth it lol. I do still hope we get some official, in print, psionics in 5e, even if they end up just being magic with another name or just the odd subclass (those would be disappointing, but still welcome).

Still, the various reasons that have been presented make a great deal of sense to me, even though I do not share the sentiments about those settings. Thanks to those who answered (and may yet answer). :)

Kurotowa

Legend
Hmmm... "neither is 'digital only'" does not preclude partially digital products.
If you're curious about what WotC digital releases will involve, there's a new survey out you should take. For no reason. Just that it might give you some important context. There's a thread about it you can check out too.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Are there any classic settings that never had a boxed set? I know TSR was obsessed with them, so likely the answer is no.
Blackmoor
The setting of Chainmail (on Greyhawk)
Jakandor
Lost World of Chanak
Thunder Rift
The implied setting of Bastion of Faith, College of Wizardry, and Den of Thieves.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where is the idea of the Domains of Delight coming from?
There is a reference on the back cover of Witchlight to the higher level Fey realm being a "domain of delight." People are reading the tealeaves that WotC might be setting up a Fey Setting that is like Ravenloft, but instead of Domains of Dread with Werewolves & Vampires, there are Domains of Drlight with Archfey & such.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases