D&D (2024) WoTc and TSR... what is D&D

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Cheap is dependent on perspective.
The old D&D Rules Cyclopedia was originally $24.95, or $29.04 in current money. Currently, it is $27.20 for hardcover and PDF combined. Still useable, heck I have modules for Basic from Half Price Books, I could just get it and run my kids through it and they would not know the way they do with retro video games.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The old D&D Rules Cyclopedia was originally $24.95, or $29.04 in current money. Currently, it is $27.20 for hardcover and PDF combined. Still useable, heck I have modules for Basic from Half Price Books, I could just get it and run my kids through it and they would not know the way they do with retro video games.
Right. The text is an iffy scan and the book is a paperback glued into a hardback. It’s good to have and reference. Sure. But I’d rather have a print copy of OSE and go from there. Way better quality text and printing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right. The text is an iffy scan and the book is a paperback glued into a hardback. It’s good to have and reference. Sure. But I’d rather have a print copy of OSE and go from there. Way better quality text and printing.
That's fair. But, it exists, and isn't outmoded the way that Pong or Atari 2600 games are. I mean, my kids dip their toes into the well of pain that is NES games, but even I couldn't pick up Atari games now.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That's fair. But, it exists, and isn't outmoded the way that Pong or Atari 2600 games are. I mean, my kids dip their toes into the well of pain that is NES games, but even I couldn't pick up Atari games now.
You can get classic Atari games in the controller now. Or you could. You just plug the controller into your TV's USB and all the electronics are inside the base of the controller. It's kinda awesome. Asteroids is still an amazing game. That will never be outmoded.

Retreater

Legend
Maybe it's just the old gamer in me coming out, but I think there are some very playable Atari games (River Raid, Vanguard, Berserk, Yar's Revenge, just to name a few). Granted, they are very dated and simplistic compared to modern games, but I think that is part of their charm.
But when you're talking about modern gamers (whether they are video game or TTRPGs), look at how dated the approach is. To a modern reader, the layout and art look terrible and dated. This isn't even taking into account the poor organization of rules, game mechanics like THAC0 or attack matrices. You don't see live streamers like Critical Role breaking out 1st edition (at least, I don't think so). There's not a push to get OSE games or organized play going in stores, and unless you're going to GaryCon or other convention dedicated to classic games, you're not going to see a lot of out-of-print games being run (or even retroclones).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You can get classic Atari games in the controller now. Or you could. You just plug the controller into your TV's USB and all the electronics are inside the base of the controller. It's kinda awesome. Asteroids is still an amazing game. That will never be outmoded.
You can...but I don't think they have all aged as well as Super Mario Bros. or Mega Man. though hey, nostalgia bias comes into play here.

But still, my point is that TTRPGs have not experienced the same aging effect.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe it's just the old gamer in me coming out, but I think there are some very playable Atari games (River Raid, Vanguard, Berserk, Yar's Revenge, just to name a few). Granted, they are very dated and simplistic compared to modern games, but I think that is part of their charm.
But when you're talking about modern gamers (whether they are video game or TTRPGs), look at how dated the approach is. To a modern reader, the layout and art look terrible and dated. This isn't even taking into account the poor organization of rules, game mechanics like THAC0 or attack matrices. You don't see live streamers like Critical Role breaking out 1st edition (at least, I don't think so). There's not a push to get OSE games or organized play going in stores, and unless you're going to GaryCon or other convention dedicated to classic games, you're not going to see a lot of out-of-print games being run (or even retroclones).
Luke Gygax streams 1E AD&D all the time, actually. I bet that's not unique, either.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases