• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC boards (slighty ranty...)

Sixchan

First Post
I don't think I will ever meet a Moderator as bad as one I once knew. He had some serious political biases, and it was evident on a massive forum with all political beliefs. There were heavy double standards, particularly during the run up to the recent war, though I had long since stopped posting at that point. What prompted me to leave was when he PMed me more or less telling me to leave and never come back, because I had strongly protested one of his actions, along with various others, including a more senior moderator who was "persuaded" to leave the staff.
The malice is all gone now, and all that's left is knowledge of what happened and sheer indifference, so no hard feelings.

But whatever the WotC mods do, I can't imagine it being so bad.

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
I visit the WotC boards almost every day, generally posting only in the Mature Product Line threads but sometimes in the FR threads. Personally, I don't think the mods over there get involved often enough. There are arguments...stupid, stupid, bitter, arguments...that will often rage for days before a moderator steps in.

hunter1828

Quixon

First Post
KenM said:
My problem with the WOTC boards is anytime someone has some construtive critisim to say about them (i'm not talking about "you suck", but real, intellegent things that as a company I would want to hear, so I can bring a better product to the public) they lock it so no one else can say anything. To Me, that shows the company does not care about what the public thinks.

Ah I assume you are the same person who posts on the WotC boards as KM, also from Mass.

The same person who is demanding that WotC update the SRD and release the Conversion guide because WotC said they would do those things around the same time they released the books. Since some stores in Europe have started selling the books early, KM says its WotC responsibility to have these ready for the public right NOW, even though its the stores who started selling the books early, not WotC. But KM says since the books are being sold-thats its WotC job to have those things ready for download(even though they haven't officially released the books).

If you are not the same person then I apologize-but I'am pretty sure you are and thus seem to not like WotC in general..

KenM

Banned
Banned
Yes i'm one in the same. I do not want to hijack this thread, but my point is WOTC said they would do something once 3.5 is in stores, 3.5 is in stores and there has been no action from WOTC. it has been a few days since 3.5 has been out in Europe, they have had enough time. I also think if WOTC puts out DnD revsions every 3 years, they will kill DnD, its an RPG, not a card game. They rules/ core set have a longer shelf life then CCG's. Sorry but I have been dissapointed by people/ comapnies making promisies to me and then not following though, so when I see it happening, I try to see what I can do to fix it. But in a construtive way not in a bitchy, "you all suck, go to hell" way.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm a frequent poster over at the WotC boards, but I generally stick to only a few boards. I'm a PrC creator, so I hang out on that board, I recently posted a homebrew, so I go to that board, and very occasionally post elsewhere if something catches my eye or I need to ask a question.

Because of the M:tG and Pokemon crowd, I believe the mean age of the posters on the WotC boards as a whole is younger. This usually means hastier posting, thinner hides, and less reflection before hitting the "add post" button.

Also, as Piratecat pointed out, WotC boards have ten times the population of ENWorld, and the training for a mod is not exactly lightning fast. As the mods are now paid, WotC perhaps cannot hire as many as they would like (they're not paid a lot, but still, you get my drift). This means unfortuntely that sometimes "bad" threads go on for a while before they can be gotten to.

In addition, I believe I heard at last count there's over 190 boards on the WotC site, which makes moderating that much harder. The community members are encouraged to help the mods by using the "report thread to moderator" button as well as posting responsibly. All the WizOs can be contacted by e-mail if you have a particular beef, and they're pretty good about responding.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
The WotC moderator culture is marked by pettiness, gossip, and power struggles. This often comes out in how they moderate, which is really only a secondary function for them...the primary being to isolate patrons and carve out their own online kingdom.

This is, of course, a purely objective statement. :)

Oh, and as for thankless jobs....slave is the only true example. All others have rewards of some kind.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
{Yes i'm one in the same. I do not want to hijack this thread, but my point is WOTC said they would do something once 3.5 is in stores, 3.5 is in stores and there has been no action from WOTC.}

So if Movie Company X says "We'll give away a free car on the day our new movie opens, August 1!" and some theatre decides to have a sneak preview showing on July 31st, you'd demand that MCX give away the car early, just because someone else broke the rules on when the movie was supposed to be released?

KenM

Banned
Banned
seankreynolds said:

So if Movie Company X says "We'll give away a free car on the day our new movie opens, August 1!" and some theatre decides to have a sneak preview showing on July 31st, you'd demand that MCX give away the car early, just because someone else broke the rules on when the movie was supposed to be released?

Thats different, that statment has dates. The info that WOTC gave us said the once 3.5 is in stores, the SRD would be updated and the conversion manual would be avaible. They did not give a date. If someone put it out earily, WOTC should step up and do what they need to do. it has been three days, enough time IMO.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Coreyartus said:
...stay here with the adults on ENWorld for a while, and enjoy the company of perhaps a more enlightened (?) group of game enthusiasts.

Is that from the brochure...?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
KenM said:
Thats different, that statment has dates. The info that WOTC gave us said the once 3.5 is in stores, the SRD would be updated and the conversion manual would be avaible. They did not give a date. If someone put it out earily, WOTC should step up and do what they need to do. it has been three days, enough time IMO.

That seems like saying if a child goes into where his folks are preparing dinner and sneaks a carrot the fully-cooked roast should come popping out of the oven. They can't allow some folks not following their release dates to dictate their business schedule. That'd be ridiculous and probably detrimental to the company, customers and products.

Remove ads