WotC WotC Cancels 5 Video Games

While D&D itself seems to be still growing rapidly nearly 10 years after the launch of 5th Edition, WotC has recently scaled back its video game plans, costing up to 15 people their jobs, although they may be able to relocate within the company. WotC spoke to Bloomberg and told the site that they were "still committed to using digital games" and that the change in plans was designed to focus...

Dungeons-and-Dragons-Dark-Alliance-1298699017.jpg

While D&D itself seems to be still growing rapidly nearly 10 years after the launch of 5th Edition, WotC has recently scaled back its video game plans, costing up to 15 people their jobs, although they may be able to relocate within the company. WotC spoke to Bloomberg and told the site that they were "still committed to using digital games" and that the change in plans was designed to focus on "games which are strategically aligned with developing our existing brands and those which show promise in expanding or engaging our audience in new ways."

Studios working on games for WotC include Otherside Entertainment and Hidden Path Entertainment. WotC owns 6 video game studios in various cities according to CEO Cynthia Williams in an interview with GeekWire.

We’ve announced six different studios that are first-party and owned. There’s Archetype in Austin that’s working on a sci-fi game that we’re really excited about. It’s a new IP.

You’ve got Atomic Arcade in Raleigh-Durham, that’s working on a very mature G.I. Joe game, and then, Invoke is working on a D&D game. The key piece I’d tell you is that we have been really fortunate to hire some amazing industry veterans, who have a passion for the brands and games that they’re building.

The Bloomberg article also mentions an internal cancelled project code-named 'Jabberwocky', but does not say what that was.

Hopefully, it's just a consolidation of attention around a better (classic) CRPG style game.

I won't mourn for a bunch of games I likely wouldn't have played, just like all the GW games I pass on.

I always shake my head when great IPs can't figure it out for a PC version.
I've heard that the one thing GW won't approve is any video game that fully reproduces one of the tabletop wargames. They want people to have to buy miniatures to play Warhammer, so cheaper electronic replicas are right out.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This is really interesting given how important video games just were in recent discussions. I expect hiring 350 people for the new VTT must have something to do with it, but it is a shame that there isn't a fully realized 5E game out there. Honestly, it's more of a shame that there was no 4E game, since I think that would have been killer.

If you haven't checked out Solasta, I recommend it. It's definitely not an AAA game, but it is surprisingly accurate to 5E. I think it's still on sale through Steam at the moment.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Games take a while to produce. Any game developing now would be better focused on Next Gen systems, so Playstation 6 rather than 5. I wonder if the development timeline was looking poor for these 5 games. So far we only have the new Dark Alliance as an example of what WotC digital efforts are like and that is not a good look.

Sadly, this might be the best course, given how catastrophic Wizard's forays into computer games have been.

I found the recent Dark Alliance game to be quite terrible, so if they were aiming for more of that, I'm glad they reconsidered. The obscure Tuque studios (a Hasbro subsidiary) was clearly not the right choice.

Where they have had some success is in licensing to an established company capable of making a AAA product, such as with Bioware/Obsidian (Neverwinter Nights) and Baldur's Gate (Bioware/Black Isle and now Larian).

As far as I can tell 5 of the 6 cancelled games were with external studios with the 6th was I think code named Jabberwacky and I suspect that one was the one that was being developed by Archetype studios, the new transmedia sci fi IP.

Neither of us are fans of Dark Alliance, but for all the slams from us and critics and gamer community it still made alot of money, enough that not releasing one this year had a very noticable effect on the bottom line for Hasbro.

Again I'm no DA fan, but Drizzt has a huge fan base.

And Tuque Studios is now Invoke studios (can't sound too Canadian Ah), it's still around.

Honestly I think some of these games were either duds or WotC raised it's embarrassingly low standards and decided to stop allowing the IP to be used for cheap goofy games.

For others they said they wanted to focus on it's existing brands, so that would exclude Archetypes attempt to create a Sci Fi brand.

Chris Cox's vision is to focus on core brands, not create new ones, and jettison all the stuff that Hasbro has that doesn't serve the core brands.

I also wonder if the current head of Archetype will stick around if his hard work got cancelled abd they are redirecting Archetype away from innovating new IPs, towards say D&D games instead.

I'd be very suprised if there is no D&D game in development tied into Honor Among Thieves (BG3 does have 1 tie in, Druids can now turn into Owlbears).

BovineofWar

Explorer
This definitely feels like a casualty of the new 4 quarter plan.

If there's one obvious area of growth for D&D, it's the video game area. Wizards has completely missed the whole isometric RPG revival (Obsidians's Pillars of Eternity, Larians's Divinity, InExile's Wasteland and Torment, Owlcat's Pathfinder series) which shows there is still a market there.

Like people have mentioned, software isn't easy. Amazon and Google have both shown that gobs of money isn't enough to get a good development team together by itself. I thought licensing Larian to do Baldur's Gate 3 was a great step, since they clearly have the know how to do a good RPG. I just hope they have a good plan for the internal teams.

Scribe

Legend
If there's one obvious area of growth for D&D, it's the video game area. Wizards has completely missed the whole isometric RPG revival (Obsidians's Pillars of Eternity, Larians's Divinity, InExile's Wasteland and Torment, Owlcat's Pathfinder series) which shows there is still a market there.

It never went away! The will just wasnt there.

These types of games, are fantastic, and this space just isnt explored nearly enough.

Remove ads

Remove ads